What do you like about like about operating NTT cars?

MattTrain

I have a question to train operators and train conductors: What do you like about operating or conducting a new technology train, (R142, R142A for the IRT, R143, R160A, and R160B for the BMT/IND)? What do you dislike about operating these new technology trains?

I like the R143 for its heavier doors so when people hold the doors and I press that god's gift to Conductors the Local Recycle button they learn not to hold the doors on the (L) line. As for the R160 there's no difference for me being that I am a Conductor and not a Motormen I can operate faster with both equipment oh and the nice comfy seat in the cab also not having to make the announcements.

I don't like operating the new trains at all. I can't stand the design of the throttle and the dead man feature. There will be a HUGE amount of carpal tunnel syndrome cases in the future because of these trains.

The deadman device on NTT trains is a touch-sensitive handle, right?

I like the R143 for its heavier doors so when people hold the doors and I press that god's gift to Conductors the Local Recycle button they learn not to hold the doors on the (L) line. As for the R160 there's no difference for me being that I am a Conductor and not a Motormen I can operate faster with both equipment oh and the nice comfy seat in the cab also not having to make the announcements.

That's some good points you have there. Automated announcements so you don't have to say anything, just close the doors as a conductor.

I don't like operating the new trains at all. I can't stand the design of the throttle and the dead man feature. There will be a HUGE amount of carpal tunnel syndrome cases in the future because of these trains.

Oh wow, that's some dislikes there. Is the throttle just like a lever where you pull and push to accelerate and decelerate?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Oh wow, that's some dislikes there. Is the throttle just like a lever where you pull and push to accelerate and decelerate?

There's also an alerter that goes off if you don't move the throttle every once in a while. Its a beeping noise that "ticks" down.

Oh jeez, i'm surprised anyone operating NTT's regularly has a wrist left.

They haven't been around for very long. In 10-20 more years there will be many many cases of carpal tunnel for T/O's.

And the alerter is ONLY used in ATO it is a button that must be pushed every 20 seconds. It is NOT used on anything other than the few 143's that are operating in ATO mode for a few hours a night.

Jah, my hands forget it. I use both at the same time to operate, and that damn thing is destroying both my thumbs. Sad thing is those in the crew office basically have me always working the 4 and 6 lines, since I am on the list, and still quite new to RTO. I have seen since going RX (road extra aka the Extra Extra for those who don't know), the 7 line (5) times, and the (1) twice. I love those R62A's on the (1) line, and when TSS's ask me which do I prefer, I tell them those on the (1). Of course they are shocked, then reply I like you...I really, really, like you......

To the others who ask, those NTT trains are a huge waste of money. MTA could have bought updated R62 type cars, with NTT stuff in those. That means it would have both a brake handle, and a Master Controller, and use the old mechanical/ electrical braking package. Those R142A's need to be put out to pasture already. I had a train last night, that bucked worse than most of them that do it. Why? The motors kept dying on the 1st car (A car), when I would come to a stop, so that means no dynamics, just regular friction brakes, while the other 9 use dynamics. The Bombs are far better now, than the Sakis. Most of the operators seats are duct taped, while it seems the R62, and R62A's get the TLC for the operators seats compared to the NTT. I don't like the Saki R62 that much, as that Master controller, is hell to hold down, with its stiff spring. the Bombs are better, that is why I love the (1) train, followed by the (7). Their MC is far softer. I'll deal with popping handbrakes, most newbies love the NTT cause they ain't got to worry about this, and they suppose to be easier to stop. That is bull. It's with those trains you better be on the ball with braking, wet or non wet weather. The R62A's, great brakes. The R62 once you get use to when to brake those (at higher speeds), those are good too (not great for T/O's unless they operated worse trains in the past (I hear Redbirds)).

When I can pick a side of town (since I will be on the list for the next couple of picks), I will pick West side ((1)(2)(3)(7)<7>). Hopefully like now, I will rarely see the (2). I only worked it 2 days ago on the midnight supplement (1 trip). This was the first time since I went RX (did it while DX (District Extra))........

Frankly to me the NTT ( IRT ) equipment is probably the worst that I've ever operated. I go back to the pre-redbird era when the rolling stock was supposedly junk. The older cars braked better in inclement weather and accelerated better before they were modified. The NTT have better cabs with roomier interiors so the crews have more room to store their gear and more room to operate comfortably. As a T/O this equipment is a recipe for carpal tunnel disability. The riders like the lighting and automated announcements which I agree are a much needed improvement over the older cars. The strip maps and the FIND display are probably a good thing although the reason for them is rather insulting when you think about it. In a city of immigrants back in the day, when some riders weren't as fluent in English, and some couldn't read at all, they managed to make it to their destinations. Some looked at marker lights or route numbers or station tile colors yet they still made it. Many cars had non-working PAs, or none at all. The TA figured that the modern day rider couldn't read a map, hence the FIND or strip map. Give them shiny new equipment and charge more and the average person won't realize that the system has fewer stops and goes to fewer places than it did 40 or 50 years ago. IMO opinion the NTT look better but operate worse than the older cars.

Just from reading all this, I'm getting the impression that the NTT cars aren't so easy to operate, with painful hands after controlling these train cars for a while. I hope nobody has arthritis here.

Quite a few of us T/O s have it now that the NTTs have been around for a few years.

Pfft The R143 doors are no match to my timbs. I just leave it in the doors and just wait till the C/R eventually gives in and opens the door.

You call yourself a railfan doing that to C/R's trust me you find my train I am not reopening till a customer shoves you. I am the C/R that doesn't mind holding the road up for someone who thinks they gonna hold my doors of my train I can play the waiting game.

Frankly to me the NTT ( IRT ) equipment is probably the worst that I've ever operated. I go back to the pre-redbird era when the rolling stock was supposedly junk. The older cars braked better in inclement weather and accelerated better before they were modified. The NTT have better cabs with roomier interiors so the crews have more room to store their gear and more room to operate comfortably. As a T/O this equipment is a recipe for carpal tunnel disability. The riders like the lighting and automated announcements which I agree are a much needed improvement over the older cars. The strip maps and the FIND display are probably a good thing although the reason for them is rather insulting when you think about it. In a city of immigrants back in the day, when some riders weren't as fluent in English, and some couldn't read at all, they managed to make it to their destinations. Some looked at marker lights or route numbers or station tile colors yet they still made it. Many cars had non-working PAs, or none at all. The TA figured that the modern day rider couldn't read a map, hence the FIND or strip map. Give them shiny new equipment and charge more and the average person won't realize that the system has fewer stops and goes to fewer places than it did 40 or 50 years ago. IMO opinion the NTT look better but operate worse than the older cars.

I heard those redbirds were very fast accelerating. Even if TA wanted one controller to do brakes and acceleration, one like the MC on the SMEE, would have been better. Both my thumbs are aching now.........

Ok I guess I'm the odd ball but I love operating R143/160 Equipment. I can care less about the black box because I do what I am suppose to do. Yes the handle takes getting use to an unlike the IRT our handle is on the right with an arm rest. The brakes are great at least on the R160 because they still brand new and they handle wet rails good unlike the R143 which there is a trick that helps you stop better which I learned on the (L).

Weekends T/O's and C/R's on the (E) fight over who wants a R160. I got lucky and some how got a R160 every trip. Unlike the rest of the (E) Line T/O's who are afraid to come in hard with a R160 because they new to the train. I always come in hard take the brake almost at the C/R's board and stop at the 10 Car marker. Next pick I know I be on a line with new trains for the most part unless I go back to the (C) then its my over favorites R32/38.

Ok I guess I'm the odd ball but I love operating R143/160 Equipment. I can care less about the black box because I do what I am suppose to do. Yes the handle takes getting use to an unlike the IRT our handle is on the right with an arm rest. The brakes are great at least on the R160 because they still brand new and they handle wet rails good unlike the R143 which there is a trick that helps you stop better which I learned on the (L).

Weekends T/O's and C/R's on the (E) fight over who wants a R160. I got lucky and some how got a R160 every trip. Unlike the rest of the (E) Line T/O's who are afraid to come in hard with a R160 because they new to the train. I always come in hard take the brake almost at the C/R's board and stop at the 10 Car marker. Next pick I know I be on a line with new trains for the most part unless I go back to the (C) then its my over favorites R32/38.

I want to operate the R160. that simulator at least gives one an idea of how that controller feels. The armrest will help alot, but I still say they should of had the same MC as the R62A, with braking and propulsion in the MC handle. Basically like the R44, and R46 have or had, but updated for the better of course.......

Archived