Exam No. 8098 is now open for applications

Y2Julio

If you're referring to my previous post, I was giving a common sense answer because that's what would make sense. I KNOW my E&E is correct to the last letter and I have the same thing as everyone else. I didn't call DCAS because it's Sunday. First time back to this thread since the 4th. I'll call tomorrow. But it stands to reason that if everyone who filed online is getting the same thing then either there isn't an error or if there is one it's on DCAS' side.

I'm so confused about this damn E&E form...

=\

Let me try to clarify yoir mind :)

Lets say you filed online on March 4th and you graduated HS and have a work history of exactly 6 years. In the Education Section you fill out the HS info. If you went to college (in the States) and have any completed credits fill it in. Save it then continue on to the Experience Section and fill out all the jobs you've worked ON THE BOOKS that add up to 5 years or more. It could be one job or it could be 10 jobs over a 15 year period as long as it's verifiable. If it's multiple jobs add them all then continue on til the survey. Press complete and you're done. DCAS will send your Confirmation# and that's it.

You should still call DCAS to see if there are any clarifications about this "error" but my thinking is they're allowing people who file online to access their applications simply because it's an option that might make even more people file online in the future. To me, it's not an error, it's a benefit

Hope this helps :)

teelow let us know what you find out about this in progress thing if you call them. Appreciate the help man

Well what I found out so far is incomplete. A young woman answered the phone after about 30 rings. I gave her my info and asked about my application. She said she couldn't find my name in the system for test 8098. She said it might still be pending. After putting me on hold she switched me to her supervisor who was conveniently away from his desk. I left a message in his mail box just before I wrote this post.

What the young woman said about not finding my name in the system for exam 8098 made me anxious. When she wondered if my app was still pending that lead me to believe that it won't show up until after the filing period ends (if then) and that sounds really weird. What if they still say there's no record of me filing for this exam? Guess I'm just going to have to go down there with a copy of my email receipt and Con#. Strange enough they have on file the other two exams I filed for online this year.

If I hear from the supervisor I'll let you know what he tells me

Just got off the phone with DCAS. Spoke to a Ms Desa. She confirmed that my online app has been received. I asked for a Con# and she read it back exactly as it appeared on the original receipt. If you call DCAS @ 212-699-1357 you have to let the phone ring a long time before they pick up. Have your SS# and exam# ready. If they kick you to the Supervisor and you get his voice mail, leave a msg, wait 45 mins and call back if you don't hear from him. Hopefully they'll have updated your info by then.

Good luck

Ok I applied, paid, and filled out the EETP.

It's giving me a confirmation #, yet underneath the Conf #, its saying "You have until 3/24 to complete the EETP"...

But as long as I have that confirmation #, I should be ok, right?

I have 4 years worth of work experience but also 2+ years of college credits...

Just got off the phone with DCAS. Spoke to a Ms Desa. She confirmed that my online app has been received. I asked for a Con# and she read it back exactly as it appeared on the original receipt. If you call DCAS @ 212-699-1357 you have to let the phone ring a long time before they pick up. Have your SS# and exam# ready. If they kick you to the Supervisor and you get his voice mail, leave a msg, wait 45 mins and call back if you don't hear from him. Hopefully they'll have updated your info by then.

Good luck

teelow, you were on the phone with them, did you ask them about the e&e portion to confirm your statement before?

teelow, you were on the phone with them, did you ask them about the e&e portion to confirm your statement before?

No I didn't. When they found my info and confirmed my receipt I was satisfied. Since it seems everyone who's filing online is getting the same statement, my best guess is the website is only informing you that the info on the app can be accessed until the close of filing. If someone fills out the app with all the proper boxes checked and their experience totals 5 or more years then the requirements for completing the app have been met. There's no confirmation of the info placed on the app until after the test and DCAS reaches your name on the established list, so even if someone lied on their app it will still get processed and confirmed.

As long as you call DCAS and get confirmation that your online app has been processed I wouldn't worry too much about that Mar 24th msg. It also wouldn't hurt to send them an email :)

Ive been trying to call 4 2days now and the line is busy. They prob took the phone off the hook :)

They most likely just don't feel like picking up the phone. City employees can be lazy at times, can't really blame them. Dealing with the public gets tiresome at times.

Once you apply on line with DCAS and make the payment with a credit card, you will receive a confirmation email stating that they have received your application. That is your application date/time. Depending on the exam that you are filing for, the Education and Experience section will have to be completed by the close of the filing period. You can complete it when you apply or do it at your leisure. the bottom line though is that it must be completed by the application closing date.

Another insight: while completing the different sections, remember that the DCAS site will time you out in 15 minutes if information is not saved. Therefore, as you complete education (for instance), click save. Then go to the next section--work experience. If you enter your most recent job and all of the information that they require, click save. Then go on to the next. Keep doing that until you complete this section. Once you follow this method, it will be easy to do. It is very frustrating to spend the time entering the information only to be timed out and then have to do it again.

I work for the City (not DCAS) and have done on line applications before. This is so easy compared to the old method of completing paper applications. I am still toying with the idea of taking this exam perhaps to do something completely different as my work career winds down.

Good luck to all of you!

Which I won't.. (well, assuming its similar to the C/R test, lolz)

Awesome. I'll apply next week then.

Is the test 6/6? Did I read that correctly in the earlier posts? Or do we not have any idea yet?

This is the best way to understand this:

If 200 people score 98 on the exam, and 25% submitted an application on 3/04/09, and the next 25% submitted an application two days later and the remaining 50% submitted the application on the last day of filing....guess what? the first group that submitted the earliest is at the top of the list in that score followed by the second group of 25%. That is why you saw earlier posts in this thread advising you to apply as early as possible.

In other words, the 200 people with the same score are ranked and placed on the list based on their application date.

Trust me, it takes years of City experience to understand some of these arcane Civil Service rules and regulations....and I have been around for a while.

OK I think this is what the Experience & Education (E&E) means.

Everyone who files online (or by S-mail) will have until 3/24 to make sure this section of your application is completed. There are many people who have to do research to get their documents/past information and I'm guessing DCAS is allowing extra time to get your $*** in gear. After 3/24 no one else can apply and by then everyone who DID apply should have the necessary E&E information filled in because if you pass the O/C and your E&E isn't correct when they reach your list# you auto fail!

Because Exam 8098 is still open for filing, your online application can still be accessed/updated by clicking on Review/Continue Exams In Progress without affecting your original filing date. Once filing closes you can click on View Status and Summary of Completed Exams to see all the exams you filed for and your Confirmation#.

Did anyone file online for the C/R exam? If so do you see the results in View Status and Summary of Completed Exams and is there a score? I had to file by S-mail so mines won't show there.

ok, the part where you said "without affecting your original filing date"; how sure are you about that? i did mine in a rush on March 4th so that i could win all tiebreakers but i didnt fully explain my current job's duties. for my past jobs i just copied and pasted straight from my resume`, which is pretty detailed. should i even risk going back in and having my original filing date changed? see, im a supervisor for the post office and all i put was the job description from the p.o. website, "Supervise an assigned group of automated, mechanized, and/or manual processing and distribution operations at a mail processing center/facility". but i failed to describe my specific tasks such as pulling reports, employee timekeeping, giving safety/service talks, etc. should i even be worried about this or did i put enough for them to give me my time to add up to the 5 years of full time employment?

ok, the part where you said "without affecting your original filing date"; how sure are you about that? i did mine in a rush on March 4th so that i could win all tiebreakers but i didnt fully explain my current job's duties. for my past jobs i just copied and pasted straight from my resume`, which is pretty detailed. should i even risk going back in and having my original filing date changed? see, im a supervisor for the post office and all i put was the job description from the p.o. website, "Supervise an assigned group of automated, mechanized, and/or manual processing and distribution operations at a mail processing center/facility". but i failed to describe my specific tasks such as pulling reports, employee timekeeping, giving safety/service talks, etc. should i even be worried about this or did i put enough for them to give me my time to add up to the 5 years of full time employment?

When you applied on line with DCAS on March 4 and gave the credit card information, you received an email from them confirming your application for the position. It contained a long confirmation number. That is it. You have until the end of the filing period to complete the work information, education etc, but that does not affect the fact that DCAS accepted your application on March 4. You are just obligated to make sure the information is completed by the application closing date.

You can log back into your DCAS account and see your application and fix

any information. I would recommend that you be specific as possible with your work history. It doesn't hurt.

When you applied on line with DCAS on March 4 and gave the credit card information, you received an email from them confirming your application for the position. It contained a long confirmation number. That is it. You have until the end of the filing period to complete the work information, education etc, but that does not affect the fact that DCAS accepted your application on March 4. You are just obligated to make sure the information is completed by the application closing date.

You can log back into your DCAS account and see your application and fix

any information. I would recommend that you be specific as possible with your work history. It doesn't hurt.

Exactly. This is basically why DCAS allowed such a time window so applicants could update their E&E online and not worry about having to gather all the info before submitting their app or losing their original filing date, as long as it's completed before the window closes.

There is no doubt that people who file online have an advantage over people who file by regular mail. In the future DCAS may decide to eliminate the mail-in app completely, requiring everyone to file online

Received this email couple days ago after I sent my own email inquiring about the online processing:

You have successfully applied for Exam #8098.

Evanthia Frangiskatos

NYC DCAS-Exams/Applications

212-669-7224

oasys@dcas.nyc.gov

Archived