If You See Something Say Something

So I read that the MTA has extended thier "If You See Something Say Something" campaign to riders and are asking to report misconduct of MTA personnel. I know that I've come across some pretty "not-so-helpful" clerks in my time, but I'm thinking that they are just going to get overwhelmed with some really petty complaints/issues.

Any thoughts? Check out the article here

Seems to me this could be related to the (MTA) employee who was arrested for taking photos. At least it's encouraging people to speak up & make the whole system safer not just from terrorists, but from people who would detract from the overall experience as well. I know i don't want some disgruntled worker trying to get me arrested etc. Also, it would make it easier for the supposedly cash strapped (MTA) to terminate problem employees by getting a better (but still not perfect obviously) record of their conduct.

I'm sure they have many reasons, all of them "good" that i can think of.

- A

Also, it would make it easier for the supposedly cash strapped (MTA) to terminate problem employees by getting a better (but still not perfect obviously) record of their conduct.

- A

That's exactly what I'm thinking. It's probably the main reason they rolled this out. If they have to make cuts, they might as well start with problem employees. Makes sense...

Yea, that's something you should report from now on.:eek:

Not only can refuse in the track bed cause fires, but they block the VERY important pumps that keep water from filling the entire below ground area of nyc.

- A

Seems to me this could be related to the (MTA) employee who was arrested for taking photos. At least it's encouraging people to speak up & make the whole system safer not just from terrorists, but from people who would detract from the overall experience as well. I know i don't want some disgruntled worker trying to get me arrested etc. Also, it would make it easier for the supposedly cash strapped (MTA) to terminate problem employees by getting a better (but still not perfect obviously) record of their conduct.

I'm sure they have many reasons, all of them "good" that i can think of.

- A

that MTA Employee was arrested by police, not by another MTA Employee so if your theory is correct this ad should encourage reporting police abusing their authority as well (which i highly doubt the NYPD would allow that of course)

Only problem is I see this backfiring for employees who are just doing their jobs.

C/R on a rush hour train closes down to stay on schedule with a train right behind them.

Next thing you know a "see something say something" complaint will be raised about the "rude" employee who "Slammed the doors in my face" when "they saw i was getting on the train"...and of course this person will be there with date and time, car number, station name, and all that identifying info...

plus you can't trust passengers to tell when someone is absent from work! that makes no sense...i've had people come into the TM who think the trains in NYC drive themselves...heck even in the original Pelham 123 only one of the passengers actually realized when "There's nobody driving the train!!!" how the heck are they supposed to know when a cleaner is out, or a track worker, or really anything?

Only problem is I see this backfiring for employees who are just doing their jobs.

C/R on a rush hour train closes down to stay on schedule with a train right behind them.

Next thing you know a "see something say something" complaint will be raised about the "rude" employee who "Slammed the doors in my face" when "they saw i was getting on the train"...and of course this person will be there with date and time, car number, station name, and all that identifying info...

plus you can't trust passengers to tell when someone is absent from work! that makes no sense...i've had people come into the TM who think the trains in NYC drive themselves...heck even in the original Pelham 123 only one of the passengers actually realized when "There's nobody driving the train!!!" how the heck are they supposed to know when a cleaner is out, or a track worker, or really anything?

I agree. I think it many senses (like the situation Urban posted) it can be very useful, but they are going to be bombarded with complaints such as the one you mentioned and similar.

As for the absence part, I didn't get it either. :confused:

this nothing new. All passengers know they can complain about bad service. The only bad part is MTA sides with passenger all the time. I remeber one time I had a deranged intoxicated homeless guy ask me for a free ride. I denied him. He filed a complaint against me. I had to go through this entire process of writing statements. Oh well..thats the MTA

this nothing new. All passengers know they can complain about bad service. The only bad part is MTA sides with passenger all the time. I remeber one time I had a deranged intoxicated homeless guy ask me for a free ride. I denied him. He filed a complaint against me. I had to go through this entire process of writing statements. Oh well..thats the MTA

Had that happen when i was a B/O. TA sided with me and said they would ahve done the same thing. Difference is OA is cool with their employees, and realize what we go through, and realize that alot of the complaints are without cause, the customer started it, and the customer is just mad cause they couldn't finish it, or have their way.......

...I'm thinking that they are just going to get overwhelmed with some really petty complaints/issues.

Being that most customers don't really understand how the NYCT is organized in the first place I'd have to agree. I could see someone calling in and filming someone who was assigned platform duty (because of a G.O., for example). God only knows.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

This may have been partly inspired by the crash from the engineer texting people. The fist time I heard of this story last week on the news, was right after the stories recapping the findings of the crash. It may also hearken back to the old stories about clerks being asleep in the booth.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

This may have been partly inspired by the crash from the engineer texting people. The fist time I heard of this story last week on the news, was right after the stories recapping the findings of the crash. It may also hearken back to the old stories about clerks being asleep in the booth.

The fact that the engineer on that metrolink train not only was using his phone, but didn't have it off & put away...... Every :septa: and (NJT) engineer i've ever talked to (a lot) had their stuff in a compartment or on the floor of the cab area next to them, they are totally focused on being in control of the train, and step out to check the pantograph and to stretch their legs a bit. To hear of an engineer who lacks the kind of dedication and seriousness about safety tat i see every time i'm at a train station still shocks me, and i think any properly thought out policies aimed at weeding out risks like that are a good move.

Anyone who does not take the position of engineer/driver/motorman/train operator seriously needs to find another line of work. Up to 1400 people at a time rely on these men and women to get places safely. Not something to play around with.

- A

Archived