Looking For Some Info on The X Service

Dasglion

The only X route I have ever seen is the black X on a white bullet that is only found on R32/38 side rollsigns. It was a centered bullet and did not say anything like Via 6th Ave or anything. Those signs also had a P and a Y in the same format. The P was a route in the event of an Amtrak strike back in the early 90's, I don't remember what that route would have been off hand though.

The "P" service planned in case the Amtrak strike occurred (remember, without Amtrak, the LIRR cannot enter NYP) would have ran express from Sutphin Blvd. to 34th Street. It would have ran along the Jamaica Line, switching to the Sixth Avenue Line tracks south of Essex St. Upon reaching W4, it would use the Eighth Avenue Line.

The garbage train is known as the Refuse Collector and is also known as the Pickup. Some T/O's will use X on the flipdot bulkhead sign to show that the train is not in service, but there is no rule that specifically states that X must be used.

The X is only used for TA internal purposes for T/O and C/R jobs which have a combination road and switching/platform function in the B Division.

I just browsed thru my June 2008 NYC trip pix... I didn't get a pic of the R38 garbage train signed up as the "X", but what about this one:

It's all the same, really. X, I, K, Y...doesn't matter.

And by the way, that IS the R38 garbage train. Look further back in the pic and you'll see the yellow flat cars.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

That's not how it would have run.

It would follow 6th Av. To W4, then cross over (like the old (JFK)).

Archived