why cant the r44/46 run on the (C)

Because they only use 8-car R32 sets. The R44/46 uses 4-car sets, with the exception of the 2-Car sets on the R46 (6206-6258). There's not enough 2-car sets of R46s to run on the (C) AND it would be the same issue we had with the R40/42 sets on the (C) line. But by the end of this year, the (C) is expected to become full length trains and then they will run R32/44/46s.

Because they only use 8-car R32 sets. The R44/46 uses 4-car sets, with the exception of the 2-Car sets on the R46 (6206-6258). There's not enough 2-car sets of R46s to run on the (C) AND it would be the same issue we had with the R40/42 sets on the (C) line. But by the end of this year, the (C) is expected to become full length trains and then they will run R32/44/46s.

No. The reason that the R46s were removed from the <C> back in the 70s-80s was that they were needed on higher capacity lines. The C always had a low capacity and therefore justifies that it didn't need to have full length trains. Remember, full length trains weren't common until the R44s stepped onto the property. It wasn't uncommon in the 60s to see 4 60 ft cars on a train consist. In fact, the R46s (it makes more sense for the R44s to stay on the A) would start to run on the C only after all the R32s are gone. This means that the C would become full length once again. Also, the R46 does not have the same problem as the R40/R42 in terms of the conductor board.

I think its becuz the R32s (C) are going to retiree soon, so they have faster access to 208=7, plus the 46 on the Jamaica are needed , while the onces from Jamaica, some goes to the (A) to replace the R40 seeing the 160s are placing the some 46s at Jamaica

I think its becuz the R32s (C) are going to retiree soon, so they have faster access to 208=7, plus the 46 on the Jamaica are needed , while the onces from Jamaica, some goes to the (A) to replace the R40 seeing the 160s are placing the some 46s at Jamaica

SMEEs existed on the (C) big time during the 90s. Nothing to do with the SMEEs retiring.

As mentioned, the (C) is a medium capacity line. Most of the passengers take the line for short distances, usually prefering the express line. There was also a car shortage in the R30 order, IINM, which led to why the (C) gets 8 cars per train. They kept it that way since then.

SMEEs existed on the (C) big time during the 90s. Nothing to do with the SMEEs retiring.

As mentioned, the (C) is a medium capacity line. Most of the passengers take the line for short distances, usually prefering the express line. There was also a car shortage in the R30 order, IINM, which led to why the (C) gets 8 cars per train. They kept it that way since then.

Hmm.. Could this also be the reason why the (G) has 4 to 6 cars? Low usage?

No, that was due to the (V) needing cars when the route was created.

ok but, when the (V) route wasnt in service at the time, why didnt the (G) train use 8 cars instead of 6 cars on the weekdays and 4 cars during nights and weekends?

The consist of B div fleet combined with the needs of the other lines, and limitations to use only 60 foot cars on a few lines means (G) & (C) is stuck with short trains consisted of 60 foot cars. When the last batch of R160 are delivered, there is a possibility of both becoming longer trains, but only if R32 destruction slows way down, which likely isn't going to happen, but is still possible.

The realistic scenario: (C) gets mods and R42, (A) gets R44 and R46, (G) gets remaining R32 till they are retired. Once all R32 are retired, then and only then will (G) get new stuff, likely R44, and (A) will get R160. After that things won't change till the next car order is made, which could be up to 5 years after all R160 are 100% delivered.

(C) and (G) lines are not as low priority as you might think, and are ONLY limited by the needs of the other lines. There are enough R44 and R46 to go around on the (A), (C) and (G), but right now the (E)(C) and (G) are R32. Just gotta wait for the R160 numbers to get high enough.

- A

The consist of B div fleet combined with the needs of the other lines, and limitations to use only 60 foot cars on a few lines means (G) & (C) is stuck with short trains consisted of 60 foot cars. When the last batch of R160 are delivered, there is a possibility of both becoming longer trains, but only if R32 destruction slows way down, which likely isn't going to happen, but is still possible.

The realistic scenario: (C) gets mods and R42, (A) gets R44 and R46, (G) gets remaining R32 till they are retired. Once all R32 are retired, then and only then will (G) get new stuff, likely R44, and (A) will get R160. After that things won't change till the next car order is made, which could be up to 5 years after all R160 are 100% delivered.

(C) and (G) lines are not as low priority as you might think, and are ONLY limited by the needs of the other lines. There are enough R44 and R46 to go around on the (A), (C) and (G), but right now the (E)(C) and (G) are R32. Just gotta wait for the R160 numbers to get high enough.

- A

your statement is totally unrealistic

What will happen is that when there are below 200 R32s left, there won't be enough to cover (C) service and spares. Then, the (C) will probably run R32, R44 and R46 while the (A) shares the same fleets. The (G) will likely stay the same way.

- A

mind showing me a picture of an R32 recently running on the (G)? cause I haven't seen that since I was a kid. Also didn't the (C) run mods and 42s already and presented a safety issue when they did?

The (G) did ran some R32s this yr, but that was due to the G/O of the (F) via the (C) and (G) to Stillwell. I think last month..

If there was a 3rd opition order of the R160s maybe this would also help the (C) and maybe the (G) get into 8 cars instead.. Even with sharing 32s..

What will happen is that when there are below 200 R32s left, there won't be enough to cover (C) service and spares. Then, the (C) will probably run R32, R44 and R46 while the (A) shares the same fleets. The (G) will likely stay the same way.
It's a matter of displacement. Remember, the F has most of the R46s and it's going to be stripped down to 208 R46s. As one set of R32s retire, one set of R46s would move from the F to the C. There's no need to share the R44s between the A and C.

There are a number of falsehoods in this thread so far...

1. When R46s ran on the C, they were not full length trains.

2. When R30/R30As ran on the C, they were not full length trains.

3. The C has expanded to longer consists since both the R46s and the R30s have run there.

4. The R32-R42 fleets will be entirely retired by the R160 fleets.

5. Regardless of the prior statement, the C will go full length, the most likely time for this to occur is this fall.

6. There is no reason to assume that R44s will not run on the C line. There is no need to separate the A and C fleets once both are assigned full length trains.

7. The G is not intended to be expanded beyond 300 foot train lengths at this time. There are no plans for R32s to be reassigned there.

- A

-The (C) will not receive R40M and R42s. The experiment that lasted for merely a month was terminated because of the drastic repercussions it faced. I'm sure (C) riders do not want to run 120 feet to the nearest car.

-R40M and R42s will go straight to the barge when they are done. Already some sets are being taken OOS. Case in point, a pair of R42 is already at Concourse Yard with the red diamond sticker.

-Face it, the (G) will not get R44s. R44s belong to Pitkin, why should it be transferred to Jamaica Yard or say after the possible transfer, to Coney Island Yard?

-The (G) will not receive R32s at all. R32s from Jamaica will most likely go straight to the barge from Jamaica. They will not replace other R32s at Pitkin/207. That transfer has ended weeks ago.

-The (G) is not composed of R32s. It is fully R46s. It was composed of R32s only when it was extended to Coney Island, as a result of a GO. In fact, it was simply borrowing (F) cars to facilliate the measure.

-The (A) will not receive R160s. I believe that the second option order (except for the 32 that are going to ENY) will most likely turn up at Jamaica Yard so that more R46s could be pushed to the (A) and (C).

What you will see:

(A)(C): R44s, R46s

(F): R46s, R160s

(G): TBD (if it will be transferred to CIY, it may run either R68s or R160s; but for simplicity's sake, I will announce it as TBD)

mind showing me a picture of an R32 recently running on the (G)? cause I haven't seen that since I was a kid. Also didn't the (C) run mods and 42s already and presented a safety issue when they did?

I have Photo's of the R32 (G), I took this in January, I also took an R42 (G) in the summer of 2007:

S5030970.jpg

S5030973.jpg

S5030962.jpg

S5030972.jpg

and a bonus R160B (G)from 3 weeks ago:

S50300464-18-2009.jpg

I enjoyed That R32 (G) ride and The R160B Ride, The R160 (G) ran at night.

The (G) did ran some R32s this yr, but that was due to the G/O of the (F) via the (C) and (G) to Stillwell. I think last month..

If there was a 3rd opition order of the R160s maybe this would also help the (C) and maybe the (G) get into 8 cars instead.. Even with sharing 32s..

The (C) will still run R32's (10 cars) and 8 (75 foot cars) in November as planed, But all things are subject to change. The R32's will stay until the 2010's.

The (C) will still run R32's (10 cars) and 8 (75 foot cars) in November as planed, But all things are subject to change. The R32's will stay until the 2010's.
The R32 conversion to 10 cars won't be immediate since it means to take away at least 6 trains altogether. And I'm sure that Jamaica won't send 64 R46s from the F to 207th in one weekend, while only 10 R32s head to the barge at a time.

-The (C) will not receive R40M and R42s. The experiment that lasted for merely a month was terminated because of the drastic repercussions it faced. I'm sure (C) riders do not want to run 120 feet to the nearest car.

-R40M and R42s will go straight to the barge when they are done. Already some sets are being taken OOS. Case in point, a pair of R42 is already at Concourse Yard with the red diamond sticker.

-Face it, the (G) will not get R44s. R44s belong to Pitkin, why should it be transferred to Jamaica Yard or say after the possible transfer, to Coney Island Yard?

-The (G) will not receive R32s at all. R32s from Jamaica will most likely go straight to the barge from Jamaica. They will not replace other R32s at Pitkin/207. That transfer has ended weeks ago.

-The (G) is not composed of R32s. It is fully R46s. It was composed of R32s only when it was extended to Coney Island, as a result of a GO. In fact, it was simply borrowing (F) cars to facilliate the measure.

-The (A) will not receive R160s. I believe that the second option order (except for the 32 that are going to ENY) will most likely turn up at Jamaica Yard so that more R46s could be pushed to the (A) and (C).

What you will see:

(A)(C): R44s, R46s

(F): R46s, R160s

(G): TBD (if it will be transferred to CIY, it may run either R68s or R160s; but for simplicity's sake, I will announce it as TBD)

The (A)/© will share R32's along with R44/46's ( when The (C) goes Full Lengh) until the last 200 R160's are on Property, Then The r32's will go Bye-Bye, I would say May or june of next year But all are subject to change, As for the r32's At Jamaica, They have to keep the R32's, They have to keep them, 207th might need more of them when the (C) goes full lengh, Also the R32's will be the Last SMEE's leaving Jamaica and the Last Line they will run on is ether the (F) or (R) before leaving Jamaica, After the slants go, The R40M's are Next on the Hit List, then they will start on the R42's, The R32's from Jamaica won't retire until January or Febuary of 2010.

The R32 conversion to 10 cars won't be immediate since it means to take away at least 6 trains altogether. And I'm sure that Jamaica won't send 64 R46s from the F to 207th in one weekend, while only 10 R32s head to the barge at a time.

The R32's won't be going anywhere expet the ones at jamaica until the 2010's. the (A)/© will share All of their R32's,R44's & R46's.

The R32's won't be going anywhere expet the ones at jamaica until the 2010's. the (A)/© will share All of their R32's,R44's & R46's.

Enough R46s will be shifted over to Pitkin to replace the R32s as a result of a great influx of R160s. By the way, try not to double-post.

I thought the R32s at Jamaica are in the best condition since the best of the R42s are at East NY.

I love how you post very foamy information based on your own preferences and ignore all evidence given to you. I don't understand why you're still not convinced opt. order II will replace all SMEE's? MTR explained before that opt. II is more than enough to replace all the 60' SMEE's. The absolute latest any R32 is lasting is early 2010, when opt. II should all be in service. I love the R32's also, as much as I love those cars, I also accept the fact that their death is immanent. The R32 will not be alive in the 2010's (implying that it will be in service past 2010), but however, it may still be alive in early 2010.

I love how you post very foamy information based on your own preferences and ignore all evidence given to you. I don't understand why you're still not convinced opt. order II will replace all SMEE's? MTR explained before that opt. II is more than enough to replace all the 60' SMEE's. The absolute latest any R32 is lasting is early 2010, when opt. II should all be in service. I love the R32's also, as much as I love those cars, I also accept the fact that their death is immanent. The R32 will not be alive in the 2010's (implying that it will be in service past 2010), but however, it may still be alive in early 2010.

One Im not a Foamer,

Two, Have connections to people (seinors That Work with the TA, Op II is Only 382 cars, How in the Hell is 382 R160's are going to replace the whole intire SMEE fleet and you have over 243 R42's and 65 R40m's left including the 280 R32 Phase I's, Optoin Order I only replaced and currently replaceing the remaining Phase II's, all of the R38's and Currently the R40 Slants.

Three All of you think you know everything and don't know half of what you know, I studyed this system/fleet since I was 4 years old, I started knowintg more when I was 11, That's why I don't talk to railfan's like that, If you study more and look at how many Subway cars are in the active fleet then You would think twice, Im not saying the R32's will stay until 2015, The reason why I said 2010's because it is unknown that what would replace them, After Op II is finshed you will have 200 SMEE's left,

four, All you new gen Railfan's do is Railfan r160's, Plaese note that the R160's suck, Im not only talking as a Railfan, Im talking like a passenger, What's the since of railfanning an R160 and you have nothing to do in those cars, Those Subway cars were built for passenger use., and From what I heard the (A)/© will be getting something Diffrent besides the R46's and no its not the R68's.

Archived