Question regarding the R160A vs the R160B

So they are really the same car, I mean doesn't every car not just car class have it's own characteristics?

Basically yes, but if you look at the differences I noticed above, than there are minor differences. But those minor differences such as ride smoothness, can make a difference in someone's eyes.

Basically yes, but if you look at the differences I noticed above, than there are minor differences. But those minor differences such as ride smoothness, can make a difference in someone's eyes.

Re: "smoothness" both A and B cars have identical suspensions so i am not sure what you are talking about

Re: "smoothness" both A and B cars have identical suspensions so i am not sure what you are talking about

I haven't noticed a difference either. However people such as R44 5278 constantly say how the R160A is much smoother than the R160B, and I think others have said this as well. I never noticed a difference but others have.

There is no difference. They have the same propulsion system/suspension system/w/e. The difference can be between braking because the Siemens sets and the Alstom sets have different systems of braking resulting in a difference of smoothness at very low speeds (in which case the Alstom propelled trains are smoother. But R160B Alstoms = R160As in this case). They were basically meant to be the same car, but between two manufacturers.

I rode in all 3 classes, and to say the least, the R160A has smoother ride, and quieter of them all with the quieter propulsion! R160B (Alstrom Onix) is the same virtually as the R160A2, but has a different door locking mechanism that makes it noisier than the R160A2. The whine you hear with the R160A2 in the doors only happen in the doors opening, but close with a quieter locking mode at end. The R160B (Siemans) has a faster acceleration, but seems to have more harsher braking because of the faster acceleration. All in all, virtually are the same in all 3 classes. Actually make it 4 if you add the R160A1 (4 car sets).

Which are the differences between the R160A1s and the R160A2s? How many R160 are left to be delivered? Will they be R160 As or Bs? Will there be an option order? Will the option order include R160 As or Bs? (I know, too many questions...)

A-1 or A-2 has to do with the number of cars in each set. A-1 is 4 car sets for the Eastern Div (8 car trains) A-2 is 5 car sets (10 car trains)

Which are the differences between the R160A1s and the R160A2s? How many R160 are left to be delivered? Will they be R160 As or Bs? Will there be an option order? Will the option order include R160 As or Bs? (I know, too many questions...)

R160A-1 and R160A-2 are the exact same time. A-1s are built in 4-car sets and A-2s are in 5-car sets. Otherwise they are EXACVTLY the same car.

Also, if you want to know more about the R160s, look at the datasheet in my signature and scroll down to the R160 section. That should answer your questions.

• 6 years later...

R160A is better. The door motors are quiet and it's sensitive to jot or someone holding the doors. Say if you pull one door back but the other one closes that door you held on too will gently close itself while whole other doors are closed. The R160A traction can get annoying at times but it's oaky. The R160B has door motors that make clicking sound when opening but slaming sound once it closes. The door motors are build strong and if you try to hold the doors on R160B the doors are going to close at same rate and there's no way you can pull them back, or the conductor is going to re-open them and close them. Motors on R160B sounds like music.

R160A is better. The door motors are quiet and it's sensitive to jot or someone holding the doors. Say if you pull one door back but the other one closes that door you held on too will gently close itself while whole other doors are closed. The R160A traction can get annoying at times but it's oaky. The R160B has door motors that make clicking sound when opening but slaming sound once it closes. The door motors are build strong and if you try to hold the doors on R160B the doors are going to close at same rate and there's no way you can pull them back, or the conductor is going to re-open them and close them. Motors on R160B sounds like music.

1st bold: all the NTT doors do that...its called door recycling

2nd bold: half of the R160B cars have the same motors as all of the R160A cars

You're wrong

Please elaborate on how I'm wrong. Other than you bringing up a thread that's as old as the R160s themselves, allow me to explain the differences...

-The door motors on the R160Bs (Fuji for R160B, Vapor for R160A)

-The propulsion. Half of the R160B cars have Siemens traction motors while the other half and ALL of the R160A cars have the Alstom Onix motors

-Who built them. Alstom for R160A, Kawasaki for R160B

Other than those 3 things, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Alstom oversaw the ENTIRE R160 project to begin with, and just with a joint production woth Kawasaki for the R160B.

Please elaborate on how I'm wrong. Other than you bringing up a thread that's as old as the R160s themselves, allow me to explain the differences...

-The door motors on the R160Bs (Fuji for R160B, Vapor for R160A)

-The propulsion. Half of the R160B cars have Siemens traction motors while the other half and ALL of the R160A cars have the Alstom Onix motors

-Who built them. Alstom for R160A, Kawasaki for R160B

Other than those 3 things, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Alstom oversaw the ENTIRE R160 project to begin with, and just with a joint production woth Kawasaki for the R160B.

Still didn't explain difference between door motors. Alstom mainly the one who started door recycling.

Archived