What are they doing on the Belt Pkwy?

Anyone know whats going on, on the Belt Parkway, on that segment by Exits 13-11 they got all lane shifts and youre moved onto a new bridge while the other side has an old bridge.

Also further up on the road, on the Laurelton Parkway segment they replaced the older button letter signs, interesting thing is, the signs are in the same format and shape exactly they have the exit tabs in the center and everything, other newer signs have the tabs on the left and are sometimes in different formatted text or size.

it appears the Shore Parkway section of Belt Parkway has its own logo, I have never seen that design in the background in any sign on the parkway, either they use a green NY state shield like they do for the parkways in westchester, or they stick it in a strangely formatted Long Island Parkway sign.

When you go over a certain creek on the Belt Parkway heading towards the VNB, they put you on a temporary girder plate bridge. They're replacing all the Belt Parkway bridges before we have a repeat of this, except for a different type of bridge and not due to areolastic flutter but age:

04-whyt-03.jpg

The Belt Parkway bridges are old and need to be replaced. They did a good job on the new ones though.

The drawbridge was begining to get pretty crappy, that iron grating makes the car wobble even in dry weather, its probably very dangerous in the rain.

When you go over a certain creek on the Belt Parkway heading towards the VNB, they put you on a temporary girder plate bridge. They're replacing all the Belt Parkway bridges before we have a repeat of this, except for a different type of bridge and not due to areolastic flutter but age:

04-whyt-03.jpg

The Belt Parkway bridges are old and need to be replaced. They did a good job on the new ones though.

The drawbridge was begining to get pretty crappy, that iron grating makes the car wobble even in dry weather, its probably very dangerous in the rain.

Yeah, my dad drove over the drawbridge in rain and it was pretty damn bumpy and slippery. I ended up spilling a bottle of water I was drinking while crossing that bridge in the rain.

I remember one bridge was pockmarked westbound but the eastbound was repaved before 9/11. They repaved it about four or five years ago, but why are there traffic lights near the bridge? Are they going to build a new drawbridge or something? If it wasn't for all the political clout, they could have gotten something done by now.

• 4 weeks later...

The sign replacement project is continuing up the Cross Island Parkway, the signs up and down from the Southern State Parkway to the Grand Central parkway have been replaced with signs in the exact same shape, format and wording as the older signs, they don't use the newer NYSDOT standards like in other places, which means the city is probably the one replacing the signs.

• 2 weeks later...

The sign replacement project is continuing up the Cross Island Parkway, the signs up and down from the Southern State Parkway to the Grand Central parkway have been replaced with signs in the exact same shape, format and wording as the older signs, they don't use the newer NYSDOT standards like in other places, which means the city is probably the one replacing the signs.

SMH, Exit 26 should at least mention Hempstead Turnpike.

The Draw Bridge on the belt got stuck in the open position a couple days ago...

Wow, I would have been pissed

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know whats going on, on the Belt Parkway, on that segment by Exits 13-11 they got all lane shifts and youre moved onto a new bridge while the other side has an old bridge.

Also further up on the road, on the Laurelton Parkway segment they replaced the older button letter signs, interesting thing is, the signs are in the same format and shape exactly they have the exit tabs in the center and everything, other newer signs have the tabs on the left and are sometimes in different formatted text or size.

I had a dream and Elvis Presely spoke to me. I envisioned that the government are secretly propping the Belt Parkway for Alien Spaceships to land to assist in the plan for world domination in cooperation with the CIA and NATO. Hey I see flying saucers, did you see that ... :ph34r: ??

Please don't tell anybody but dammit it's true. The Martians and Saturians have plans to meddle with international foreign affairs. You want proof? Huh?

I had a dream and Elvis Presely spoke to me. I envisioned that the government are secretly propping the Belt Parkway for Alien Spaceships to land to assist in the plan for world domination in cooperation with the CIA and NATO. Hey I see flying saucers, did you see that ... :ph34r: ??

Please don't tell anybody but dammit it's true. The Martians and Saturians have plans to meddle with international foreign affairs. You want proof? Huh?

I am like sooo confused... Wait? What?

Shhhhhh! You don't want the whole world going into into a state of utter panic of armagedonnic doom and despair. I am the chosen one. Conveying to you all in attendance here a message of hope... :ph34r:

RE:| ok what idk ok ---

someone thinks hes a comedian...

He probably is a comedian...

Moving on...

Back in June, when coming back from Central Jersey, rode thru the Belt and the new bridge is constructed pretty nicely, I like the smooth ride over the expanded roadway, hopefully this'll lower accident rates and increase speed to the parkway which is often hit with too many curves and stuff that makes it unsuitable for today's often larger vehicles.

• 4 months later...

Considering the stretch of Belt Pkwy that I frequent, I've seen MTA buses on the old bridges before they started construction on the Belt.

So with that, I would say the new bridges should be capable of them.

huh? before WHAT weren't buses banned from the belt before between canarsie and knapp street. So were those buses MCIs or regular? Meaning those restrictions only apply to cruiser buses and not local transit buses. So now all types of MTA buses are able to use belt between JFK and sheepshead bay theoretically without problems or only models on local buses all types except MCI & Prevost expresses?.

I frequent the BQE, the entire Belt Parkway and Southern State Parkway.

Morning hours I usually frequent the Belt from Knapp Street to the Van Wyck. Night hours I frequent the entire Belt stretch, considering if I pick up a few friends from Canarsie or if I head into Queens.

I'm not fluent with the bus types or models and such so bare with me.

I've spotted a couple of times MTA buses on the Belt Parkway. I've spotted Express buses coming off of the Gowanus into the Belt stretch before passing Verrazano. I've seen those older model boxy type of buses between Rockaway Parkway and Cross Bay Blvd a couple of times.

I know for a fact that trucks and commercial vehicles are not allowed on the Belt Parkway at all, but in the case of police volume on the Belt, I've seen a lot of people get away with it (Except morning rush hours). Buses I'm not too sure but I know 100% I've seen MTA buses and only MTA buses before on the belt (Not in Service of course). I've seen the occasional school buses as well.

Can't speak for the BQE, but in general MTA bus drivers tend to break these no commercial vehicles and weight limit restrictions because they know cops aren't gonna pull over a city bus.

FDR Drive north of 20th Street is no trucks and an 8,000 pound limit, but there have been many times when the X90 would use it northbound illegally all the way up to the 42nd Street exit. And nowadays ust go to 34th Street in the morning and look at how many QM buses illegally use the FDR between 34th Street and 20th Street. Only once have I seen a driver do the right thing (using the service road between 34th-25th and then Avenue C down to 20th).

(And I know that the MTA has some special exemption that allows them to legally use the Grand Central Parkway between the BQE and LIE)

Archived