Retired nice buses

These buses are now retired 1526 1562 1535 1538 1532 1537 1539 1542 1561 1571 1579 1544 1534 1553 1555 they are on auctions international.com also the buses have the mta long island bus logo and not Nassau inter county express logo on it.

I wonder what they will sell for and wonder if it would've been better to totally strip the buses of useful parts, stockpile the parts and sell the rest of the bus for scrap metal...?

I thought it be cool to own one of these buses,,, ...but... ...have you seen lot 2? :o

UPDATE to my post: They scrapped the sh*t out of these buses and just ran 'em to a sewage plant for parking (while hitting some trees). There are parts thrown all over the floor of the buses that could still have been installed. What is the buyer going to do with broken windows and broken seats? Buy them? And who in their right minds is going to pay to fix these buses up or even thinks that any of the engine parts can be used as spares when the buses don't run anymore. To be honest, I didn't expect the auctions to be this crappy. I also wonder if NICE took the Clever Devices out of the buses as well.

UPDATE to my post: They scrapped the sh*t out of these buses and just ran 'em to a sewage plant for parking (while hitting some trees). There are parts thrown all over the floor of the buses that could still have been installed. What is the buyer going to do with broken windows and broken seats? Buy them? And who in their right minds is going to pay to fix these buses up or even thinks that any of the engine parts can be used as spares when the buses don't run anymore. To be honest, I didn't expect the auctions to be this crappy. I also wonder if NICE took the Clever Devices out of the buses as well.

You'd be screwed in many ways, The tanks might be up and there's ALOT of parts missing in every bus. These were the 11 or so that were pulled for parts. nothing but caniballization

You'd be screwed in many ways, The tanks might be up and there's ALOT of parts missing in every bus. These were the 11 or so that were pulled for parts. nothing but caniballization

Its the Nassau County version of Eastchester. Why does 1579 only have about 150,000 miles and the others have about 400,000 or more?

http://www.auctionsinternational.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000084892

Holy crap. I'm bidding. By the way, just to say how true the information I give on this forum is, I noted in April that NICE was going to be auctioning off the buses!

Are you really bidding? How old are you?

Also if you do bid I hope you have a friend with a commercial tow truck to pull your "investment" out. If you don't it will probably cost you as much as you for the bus to tow it out! That's assuming it won't start and is not road worthy.

Even if these buses were auctioned off in good condition who would insure you? These buses in good condition (or even the condition you see them stalling out on youtube) would probably sell for at least $5,000 - $10,000! Would you really spend that on a bus for no reason?

When you win the auction who will drive the bus out for you? Oh yea, tha's the scary part, if you register as a personal vehicle you don't need a CDL. In that case I'd give you (generally speaking, anyone really with no experience driving big vehicles in this area) til the first turn before you hit a tree (and god forbid not a stopped car) probably making a huge dent and breaking a window.

Maybe it's just me but wouldn't going somewhere warm this winter for a fraction of the price be money better spent than one of these bad boys in mon & dad's back yard?

These buses are the ones that were sitting on the side of Mitchell Field last year for the final months when MTA was the operator. They had about 5 or 6 on the side and the the rest where parked in the parking lot facing the opposite direction. Those buses never had "NICE" stickers on them to begin with they had issues and wasn't fixed

SSPX06943.jpg

SSPX0695.jpg

Are you really bidding? How old are you?

Also if you do bid I hope you have a friend with a commercial tow truck to pull your "investment" out. If you don't it will probably cost you as much as you for the bus to tow it out! That's assuming it won't start and is not road worthy.

Even if these buses were auctioned off in good condition who would insure you? These buses in good condition (or even the condition you see them stalling out on youtube) would probably sell for at least $5,000 - $10,000! Would you really spend that on a bus for no reason?

When you win the auction who will drive the bus out for you? Oh yea, tha's the scary part, if you register as a personal vehicle you don't need a CDL. In that case I'd give you (generally speaking, anyone really with no experience driving big vehicles in this area) til the first turn before you hit a tree (and god forbid not a stopped car) probably making a huge dent and breaking a window.

Maybe it's just me but wouldn't going somewhere warm this winter for a fraction of the price be money better spent than one of these bad boys in mon & dad's back yard?

Ok, I don't know whether or not to take offence to this. I said i was going to bid, not being serious, and then I saw the auctions and I recalled that post. You took that and put it against me for no reason.

Ok, I don't know whether or not to take offence to this. I said i was going to bid, not being serious, and then I saw the auctions and I recalled that post. You took that and put it against me for no reason.

He is just acting like a know it all all the time, ignore him, let him get in trouble.

Brett, if you want a bus I'd check out gov deals. The city of Austin,TX lists 30 footer New Flyers, I wanna say the years are 1997? The buses seem to be in pretty good shape, a lot better than these buses. They are taken out of service and listed on that site when a new bus comes in to replace them, so keep an eye on the site.

Brett, if you want a bus I'd check out gov deals. The city of Austin,TX lists 30 footer New Flyers, I wanna say the years are 1997? The buses seem to be in pretty good shape, a lot better than these buses. They are taken out of service and listed on that site when a new bus comes in to replace them, so keep an eye on the site.

LOL, maybe when I am older, I will end up buying a bus. For now, I'm just picky on what I say I would bid on.

Oh one of those retired former LI Bus should have given to NYC Transit Museum as donation.

I properly should NYC Transit Museum will take GOOD CARE of old LI Bus as part of their collection.

The Museum doesn't own the museum fleet. The MTA owns, maintains, and stores the museum fleet. The fleet comes to the museum for Brooklyn Antic.

The buses that were auctioned off sold to various bidders, all for about $2000 each. Considering those buses had random, missing parts and who the hell knew what the bidders were bidding on, do you think this pays off for NICE and Nassau County?

The buses that were auctioned off sold to various bidders, all for about $2000 each. Considering those buses had random, missing parts and who the hell knew what the bidders were bidding on, do you think this pays off for NICE and Nassau County?

How could it not pay off for Nassau County & NICE? An extra $2,000 per bus for buses taking up space...

These buses are younger than the MTA's Orion V CNG's and are in bad condition. I'm guessing that NICE is short of a lot of buses and 43 Orion 4G CNG's is not going to be enough to cover the shortage and Orion V CNG's that are retiring. NICE should be ashame of themselves to selling beat to death slow, missing part buses that were not taking care of properly. I hope with that money NICE fix up their maintaince.

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT? This has gotta be bulls**t.

LINK: http://libn.com/2012/07/31/nassau-pulls-in-400k-from-sale-of-old-buses/

Nassau pulls in $400K from sale of old buses

by John Callegari

Published: July 31, 2012

Nassau County raised a little more than $400,000 in its most recent auto auction, which saw the county part ways with 15 end-of-life buses.

Rather than repair the former Long Island Bus vehicles, the county instead auctioned off 15 Orion buses to a handful of bidders, most of whom will use the buses for scrap, bringing in a total of $400,475. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority used the county-owned buses while it operated Nassau’s bus system, an agreement that ended in December.

Anyone is eligible to bid on and purchase vehicles auctioned by the county.

They are advertised on the Auctions International website, as well as Facebook and Twitter pages run by County Executive Ed Mangano’s office. Prospective buyers bid on the vehicles for several weeks leading up to the close of the auction and are free to make appointments with the county executive’s office to inspect the vehicles prior to bidding.

• 4 months later...

Archived