Subway riders group proposes new signage for service changes - AM New York

realizm

post-6570-0-27325400-1406389811_thumb.jpg
The disruption of service on multiple subway lines is inherently hard for riders to navigate, but a transit group yesterday said the MTA can do more to ease rider aggravation during those outages. The New York City Transit Riders Council is proposing a makeover of subway service disruption signs at a time when weekend ridership is booming and there’s more work being done on tracks and train signals. While the current signs that were redesigned in 2010 are an improvement over the old black text against pale yellow versions, the riders council said there are crucial details missing and ways to make the most pertinent information pop off the paper.

Read more: Source

post-6570-0-27325400-1406389811_thumb.jpg

I think the solution is to add more environmentally friendly electronic signs on the platforms.  I for one think that the (MTA) needs to become greener and waste less paper.  Electronic signage gives them the flexibility to make more changes on a whim.  Sometimes those service changes posted on the platforms are completely inaccurate.  I can recall countless times trying to get a train at Penn Station along the (1)(2)(3) line and being told that trains were running on the express track only to find that they're running on the local track and having to play the cat and mouse game of running up and down the stairs to reach the local and express platform.  Aside from this other needed improvement, it's been stated repeatedly that weekend ridership is booming, yet track work on weekends seems to be never ending on most lines. It's almost as if subways are only supposed to run during the week, as if people don't have places to go on weekends (plenty of people work on weekends now in order to live in this expensive place), and I'm sorry but this BS excuse about well the system is old and they don't have a choice doesn't cut it.  They have to do more to adapt to riders' needs and find ways to get more work done quicker without shutting down lines constantly for weeks or months at a time on weekends.

I think the solution is to add more environmentally friendly electronic signs on the platforms.  I for one think that the (MTA) needs to become greener and waste less paper.  Electronic signage gives them the flexibility to make more changes on a whim.  Sometimes those service changes posted on the platforms are completely inaccurate.  I can recall countless times trying to get a train at Penn Station along the (1)(2)(3) line and being told that trains were running on the express track only to find that they're running on the local track and having to play the cat and mouse game of running up and down the stairs to reach the local and express platform.  Aside from this other needed improvement, it's been stated repeatedly that weekend ridership is booming, yet track work on weekends seems to be never ending on most lines. It's almost as if subways are only supposed to run during the week, as if people don't have places to go on weekends (plenty of people work on weekends now in order to live in this expensive place), and I'm sorry but this BS excuse about well the system is old and they don't have a choice doesn't cut it.  They have to do more to adapt to riders' needs and find ways to get more work done quicker without shutting down lines constantly for weeks or months at a time on weekends.

What do you want want then ? A miracle? There's a number of megaprojects that are underway and will be started soon. That's why they scheduling so many GOs. It seems they are trying to meet the 2014 fiscal budget goals.

What do you want want then ? A miracle? There's a number of megaprojects that are underway and will be started soon. That's why they scheduling so many GOs. It seems they are trying to meet the 2014 fiscal budget goals.

It's not about what I want, but what riders need, which is not to have the subway shutdown every weekend.  The fact is weekend ridership is booming, and that has to be addressed at some point.  More and more riders are complaining about it and this is a perfect example.

It's not about what I want, but what riders need, which is not to have the subway shutdown every weekend.

Once again, what else do you want them to do? The only way to get more reliable service is to allow the work to be finished. Yeah, weekend ridership is growing overall, but the (MTA) can't always cater to everybody.

I think the solution is to add more environmentally friendly electronic signs on the platforms. I for one think that the (MTA) needs to become greener and waste less paper. Electronic signage gives them the flexibility to make more changes on a whim. Sometimes those service changes posted on the platforms are completely inaccurate. I can recall countless times trying to get a train at Penn Station along the (1)(2)(3) line and being told that trains were running on the express track only to find that they're running on the local track and having to play the cat and mouse game of running up and down the stairs to reach the local and express platform. Aside from this other needed improvement, it's been stated repeatedly that weekend ridership is booming, yet track work on weekends seems to be never ending on most lines. It's almost as if subways are only supposed to run during the week, as if people don't have places to go on weekends (plenty of people work on weekends now in order to live in this expensive place), and I'm sorry but this BS excuse about well the system is old and they don't have a choice doesn't cut it. They have to do more to adapt to riders' needs and find ways to get more work done quicker without shutting down lines constantly for weeks or months at a time on weekends.

As far as I know, isn't the MTA in the process of developing and implementing a passenger information display system? I wouldn't use the excuse that the system is old, I'd use the exuse that the system is very complex. 467 stations over two divisions, numerous and even some redundant interlining, and the space given to you from a 30-something year old design at the youngest. To have information about one outage takes a lot of coordination. What about the rest of the system? How do you know where the family boarding at Times Square is going, and thus how will their trip be impacted? I would say that their information kiosks they are deploying does have a lot of potential in that regard, and they do a good job in displaying the service change information. Ever see the screens over the entrances at 34th St to the 7 Ave line on the IRT?

The problem is people don't READ. A simple top to bottom read of a poster will give you line, time, and issue in the first ten seconds.

About weekend work, weekends are like a gold mine for work on a transit system. Even though ridership is growing on the weekends, it will never compare to the weekday, especially to the amount of business that can be impacted by weekday outages. To have up to 55 hours of uninterrupted work time is very valuable and economical for a railroad. I've been in DC for several months now, and even though they close at night, they still have weekend outages for work.

About weekend work, weekends are like a gold mine for work on a transit system. Even though ridership is growing on the weekends, it will never compare to the weekday, especially to the amount of business that can be impacted by weekday outages. To have up to 55 hours of uninterrupted work time is very valuable and economical for a railroad. I've been in DC for several months now, and even though they close at night, they still have weekend outages for work.

Once again, what else do you want them to do? The only way to get more reliable service is to allow the work to be finished. Yeah, weekend ridership is growing overall, but the (MTA) can't always cater to everybody.

That's a cop out response from both of you as if the city stops earning money on weekends. This is a city that is always going and it doesn't stop because the weekends arrive.  Furthermore, the (MTA) 's turnaround times with construction work is deplorable... Projects don't wrap up on schedule or on time.

That's a cop out response from both of you as if the city stops earning money on weekends. This is a city that is always going and it doesn't stop because the weekends arrive. Furthermore, the (MTA) 's turnaround times with construction work is deplorable... Projects don't wrap up on schedule or on time.

Of course the city doesn't stop on weekends. The question becomes, if not then, then when? Do ou know how much time it takes to remove, replace and rewire a track crossover? How about a double? Or how about replacing concrete roadbed? If it's not done over a weekend, then you'll have 10 mph speed restrictions during the time the work is performed. I'm sure you'd love that! The weekend work performed does not produce fastfrack-type outages. The system still performs the vast majority of its services, and makes up for any issues. The central district is rarely ever disrupted on weekends - local service instead of express still means service.

Weekend work usually is completed on time. What you're referring to are capital projects, which usually have a more lasting outage than a weekend.

Your generic demand that more work be done in less time is a cop out of providing a constructive solution. So I ask: have any better ideas?

It's not about what I want, but what riders need, which is not to have the subway shutdown every weekend.  The fact is weekend ridership is booming, and that has to be addressed at some point.  More and more riders are complaining about it and this is a perfect example.

And where is the money going to come from? Bumping up real estate taxes upping the rent even higher? That's a good way to bring up revenue.  <_<

How about they finish projects on time...  That would save some money right there.  <_< 

You really think it's easy? Like putting up a picture frame? I think not.

Anywho, I thought you don't follow what's written on paper (not that I'm saying you should always follow from what's just only written on paper). Now all of a sudden you want them to finish the projects on time?

How about they finish projects on time...  That would save some money right there.  <_< 

Well scream at your fellow assemblymen at Albany sir write them a letter not me. You know they robbed the MTA of an opportunity to close a 900 million year budget gap long ago...  -_-

Make a petition and send it to Cuomo I'll sign it.... we need to do something about this...

You really think it's easy? Like putting up a picture frame? I think not.

Anywho, I thought you don't follow what's written on paper (not that I'm saying you should always follow from what's just only written on paper). Now all of a sudden you want them to finish the projects on time?

All of a sudden??  They should always be making the best effort to finish projects on time.  

Well scream at your fellow assemblymen at Albany sir write them a letter not me. You know they robbed the MTA of an opportunity to close a 900 million year budget gap long ago...  -_-

Make a petition and send it to Cuomo I'll sign it.... we need to do something about this...

lol... The old the (MTA) is underfunded excuse... Pretty worn out... Cuomo has been trying to do more with less... The point is more must be done by the (MTA) to improve weekend service, especially with fare increases coming.  The status quo cannot continue.

That's what happens when you buy American made rails for the Queens Blvd Line..Screeching halt.

As they should be.... American taxpayer dollars should be employing Americans, American products and American labor, but that's a different topic entirely.

lol... The old the (MTA) is underfunded excuse... Pretty worn out... Cuomo has been trying to do more with less... The point is more must be done by the (MTA) to improve weekend service, especially with fare increases coming.  The status quo cannot continue.

As they should be.... American taxpayer dollars should be employing Americans, American products and American labor, but that's a different topic entirely.

But the rails broke on Queens Bvld, major fail right there. Sorry sir..

This article puts things in perspective...

http://bushwickdaily.com/2013/09/l-train-shuttles-not-fun-for-businesses-either/

I don't have all of the answers, but the answer can't be to do business as usual either shutting down service constantly on weekends.

My question to that 10-month old article is this: how have the weekends on the (L) been recently? Any complaints now? I understand the frustration of being inconvenienced, but it's not a constant inconvenience. I'm pretty sure no businesses closed down from those outages, though I think the MTA deliberately scheduled that outage to stick it to Williamsburg...

If the MTA scheduled outages according to local community events, then nothing would get done. They do consider events that have major impacts on the city, like the holiday season. In this case, (and I know you'll hate this) the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

But only for a few weekends...

Aside from this other needed improvement, it's been stated repeatedly that weekend ridership is booming, yet track work on weekends seems to be never ending on most lines. It's almost as if subways are only supposed to run during the week, as if people don't have places to go on weekends (plenty of people work on weekends now in order to live in this expensive place), and I'm sorry but this BS excuse about well the system is old and they don't have a choice doesn't cut it.  They have to do more to adapt to riders' needs and find ways to get more work done quicker without shutting down lines constantly for weeks or months at a time on weekends.

How about answering Lance's question from a week ago before you go and start the same rant all over again?

Just when you thought New Yorkers couldn't get any more dense than what they already are...

...I mean they hang up those posters every Wednesday or so, they post up the disruptions for the entire system on the backs of those huge maps on platforms AND on the walls near turnstiles in clear sight. They make announcements about it on buses. Hell, they even have a website with an interactive map that tells you exactly what's gonna be messed up (and a ton of apps that do the same), hell, the website itself gives you directions around wherever they working at. What more do they want...

Archived