Manhattan Monorail ?

I was reading up on the Gondola project (aerial tram service such as the Roosevelt Island Tram) connecting several parts of Brooklyn and Queens with Manhattan when an idea just popped in my head. Why not build a monorail that traces around Manhattan's 32 mile shoreline. I know it might be prohibitively expensive however, maybe less than elevated subway lines ?  I know that very many would oppose this because it would cut into greenways throughout the island. I believe a monorail of this description would be hugely successful. Then, it could be duplicated in all the other boroughs. So many factors to think about with a visionary project of this magnitude. I would love to know what my NYC Transit Forum family thinks about this idea....,

Nah. That wouldn't work because of the lack of waterfront destinations. It would basically be a tourist shuttle for lack of speed and capacity

I was reading up on the Gondola project (aerial tram service such as the Roosevelt Island Tram) connecting several parts of Brooklyn and Queens with Manhattan when an idea just popped in my head. Why not build a monorail that traces around Manhattan's 32 mile shoreline. I know it might be prohibitively expensive however, maybe less than elevated subway lines ?  I know that very many would oppose this because it would cut into greenways throughout the island. I believe a monorail of this description would be hugely successful. Then, it could be duplicated in all the other boroughs. So many factors to think about with a visionary project of this magnitude. I would love to know what my NYC Transit Forum family thinks about this idea....,

Monorails don't really work well as a form of transportation because they're incompatible with existing rail systems and vendor-locked; when it needs to be replaced in 30-40 years, the company that sold its specific technology to you might not even exist anymore.  In fact, Sydney is tearing down its monorail because light rail is easier.

Also, what Jcb said. If half of your walkshed is the waterfront, and the other half is constrained by the FDR Dr/West St/West Side highway, no one will walk to it. How many people walk to the existing ferry piers?

It not called monorail. It called tramway or ropeway.

I think instead of ropeway, maybe all Ferries should stop at Governors Island and Pier 6 during summer weekends.

My trig teacher, who knows that I am into planning transit routes, suggested that a monorail be built along the waterfront. What I told him is that there isn't too much on the waterfront except the UN.

“If you build it, they will come.”

becuase the manufactuer no longer supports it.

Disney has been using monorails for decades, and aside from regular matince and train replacements, they haven't really had a problem.

The issue is that unlike actual trains, monorails are a vendor-locked technology. Why would I invest in something that lasts 40 years if no manufacturer will support it or if the manufacturer that did supported it doesn't exist in 40 years? At least with light rail or trains you have a choice.

Archived