New 31st st entrance at NYP to open monday.

metsfan

New York Penn Station: New 31st Street Entrance Opens Monday, August 31, 2009

A new station entrance to the NJ TRANSIT Concourse at 31st Street will open Monday, August 31, at 8:30 a.m.

The new entrance is located at the corner of 7th Avenue and West 31st Street at street level and is adjacent to the NJ TRANSIT Customer Service Office inside the station.

The new entrance will provide customers with direct access to and from our 7th Avenue Concourse for the first time.

The new entrance is fully accessible with ADA-compliant elevators, as well as escalators and stairs that connect the NJ TRANSIT concourse with the street at 7th Avenue.

The 31st Street entrance also includes lighting, signage and electronic train information displays for customer convenience.

------------------------------------

I am wondering where this thing actually is, i'll have to investigate. Photos included when i do get up that way.

It's nice though, to get that bottleneck relieved at 32nd st. Now there are 3 entrances on 7th ave, more evenly spacing people out.

- A

The VZB is steel parts you bolt together, a new entrance from street level to 30 feet down the busiest train station in the country takes a bit more finagling.

I remember the tent, but i do not remember it in relation to 7th ave. I will have to check this jimmy out soon, perhaps get some fotos.

- A

To me, I love it. I hope 32nd St pedestrians will know new station entrance/exit is opened.

It also look like Airtrain JFK entrance. There were two people holding "New entrance open today" and one lady in NJ Transit Mezz was holding "New exit open today."

I wonder how long this takes to encourage passenger to diverted from 32nd St entry/exit & new 31st St entry/exit.

I wish they have a connection to PATH from Penn instead of walking 1 Block...

I agree.

There should be underpass between New York Penn Station and 33rd St (PATH)/34th St-Herald Sq IND/BMT Stations, that way pedestrians wouldn't have to close dangerous street.

Or maybe NYCDOT should make 31st-33rd Sts between 7th & 6th Av into pedestiran boulevard and only and make 32nd St between 7th & Madison Avenues to buses only.

I agree.

There should be underpass between New York Penn Station and 33rd St (PATH)/34th St-Herald Sq IND/BMT Stations, that way pedestrians wouldn't have to close dangerous street.

Or maybe NYCDOT should make 31st-33rd Sts between 7th & 6th Av into pedestiran boulevard and only and make 32nd St between 7th & Madison Avenues to buses only.

Yup I mean if they can open up a stupid Passage way to 31st, they could at LEAST do the same for PATH, since its known as PENN Path at 34th on IND/BMT Platforms i think...

Such a passageway between Penn and Herald Sq stations existed before. It was closed in the 70's or 80's due to crime concerns. It lies beneath the old Gimbel's, now Manhattan Mall. It's their decision about what to do with it, although the renovation of Penn during the late 90's closed off the passageway permanently with a wall. The Herald side has a big locked slam gate.

I think World Trade Center station is busier than 33rd. I have to check the ridership stats

You don't need to check the stats, WTC is the second busiest rapid transit station in the city after the GCT (4)(5)(6)(7)(S) complex. But what i was saying is that the way the H&M was built, the terminals in NYC are very busy compared to the through stations at christopher, 9th & 23rd. 14th is a bit more active than the other ones though it varies day to day.

And don't also ARC Project to extend the NYP to 6th Av?

Yea, but this helps keep (NJT) and amtk traffic separated, once the ARC is complete, this entrance will compete with LIRR 34th st entrance as busiest, because there will be more trains per hour on the (NJT) side. LIRR long had its own connection to the street, now (NJT) does too.

The new terminal under 34th st will have connections to the current NYP.

Nice photos by the way (N)trizzy! Looks very sleek!

- A

The new entrance is beautiful but this morning it was lightly used.

I think the problem with usage is going to be most commuters seem to work

north and east of the station. 31st puts people further south.

Maybe it will become busier as more people become aware of its existance.

A lot of people are used to the entrance on 32nd st.

- A

Archived