Last day for R40Ms is today

R32 3838

The last day for the R40A-Mods will be gone by tonight, Sorry to say this but 4460/4665 is conformed retierd along with the rest, 4484/85 are the only R40M pair running today on the (V)ictor, This pair will be mothballed right after service, the R40M garbage trains will remain on work service until they decide what to do with those cars, SO WHO EVER IS AN R40M fan Ride that PAIR TODAY!!!!!!! It in service and ride it early, The pair might be out of service Between 8:30-9:30pm(20:30-21:50) so Take advantage and ride them now.

R40A-Mod's 1968-2009

After today the R40 Class cars will officaly be retired:

Here's more Info:

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=826397&p=1#826711

Well if you(Not the topic creator) are an NTT former and focusing on any NTT +R160, your missing a good chance for such old cars. Instead of caring for old cars which you will NEVER see again, tho in work service and won't ride am live AGAIN!!! OTT forever in me!! Especially R32s!

I wish id catch em today but raining badly. Are they running only on the (V) or or swapping at Jamaica with (R)?

Well if you(Not the topic creator) are an NTT former and focusing on any NTT +R160, your missing a good chance for such old cars. Instead of caring for old cars which you will NEVER see again, tho in work service and won't ride am live AGAIN!!! OTT forever in me!! Especially R32s!

I wish id catch em today but raining badly. Are they running only on the (V) or or swapping at Jamaica with (R)?

They are only on the (V), Go to the subchat link and look, I agree 100% about the NTT part, But If I were you , The Hell the the rain get on down there and take your last photo's.

They are only on the (V), Go to the subchat link and look, I agree 100% about the NTT part, But If I were you , The Hell the the rain get on down there and take your last photo's.

Ok thats good. But too bad they can't stay running till the (V) finishes its weekday service tonight.... Instead ending after RH!

Just curious is 4484/85 leading the (V) with the othe r42s or are they in the middle or sumin?

I wish id catch em today but raining badly.

Well good thing for you the (V) is entirely underground! LOL

I'm going out in a couple of minutes actually to get my last pics of the R40s. I'm going to wait at Forest Hills, C/R's car.

BTW, since the QBL is a great spot to catch the garbage train around midday, and if anyone else is going to try along QB to catch the R40s, the garbage train cars are 4506-4507 and 4518-4519.

I'm going out in a couple of minutes actually to get my last pics of the R40s. I'm going to wait at Forest Hills, C/R's car.

BTW, since the QBL is a great spot to catch the garbage train around midday, and if anyone else is going to try along QB to catch the R40s, the garbage train cars are 4506-4507 and 4518-4519.

I got it already, I will post those pics whenever I can, I know when that train comes.

LOL ya guess u right, but in the EL up here. But ill try to go thru later, very busy with an issue im having with own site...

If not ill miss em. Gosh I dont think ive rode them in a while :confused: i remembered riding one i think, but dunno if it was an R42. But i'm more concerened about OLDEST revenue fleet in service, the R32s, and that I rly need to enjoy the most on the (A)(C). And of course R42..

Just a question, what "IF" the R40/R42 was to get swapped with the (R), even tho you guys are saying no. Would this mean that the R40 would last for the weekend or sumin?

I'm afraid I can't make it! ;):cry: And it sucks that the R40M/R42 mismatch is headed for scrap! Damnit!!!

But whoever does make it out to the R40Ms last day, please post your pics up. I'll be around to see the R42s go, but hey, at least I saw the Slants on their last day and rode them, and I think that's good enough.

Man, the two 60FT SMEE car classes I use to see on an Daily basis (The Slants and mods) are now gone. I enjoyed riding them on the (;) and every now and then the (Q)... now that I think about it the R40M was the last 60FT SMEE I rode on the (Q). I remeber the first time in recent memory I rode an mod on the (Q), I almost damn near did an crappy mcrappers when I saw that thing pull into Ave H station, it was an great ride. Honestly before those tin cans that replaced these cars came in service full force I thought the R40M was going to be the last 60FT SMEE to run in revenue service. The last days these cars were in service at CI yard they ran good and was in great shape, Jamaica must have ran those things into ground to the point of retirement.

Man, the two 60FT SMEE car classes I use to see on an Daily basis (The Slants and mods) are now gone. I enjoyed riding them on the (;) and every now and then the (Q)... now that I think about it the R40M was the last 60FT SMEE I rode on the (Q). I remeber the first time in recent memory I rode an mod on the (Q), I almost damn near did an crappy mcrappers when I saw that thing pull into Ave H station, it was an great ride. Honestly before those tin cans that replaced these cars came in service full force I thought the R40M was going to be the last 60FT SMEE to run in revenue service. The last days these cars were in service at CI yard they ran good and was in great shape, Jamaica must have ran those things into ground to the point of retirement.

You can say that again. Nevertheless, it was a good ride. R40Ms retiring on the (V) was the best way for them to go out. The (V) retired a subway car class! (The (C) retired the 38s, the (A) retired the Slants, and even the 27s and the 30s were retired by the (C) as well.)

As of Friday, August 28th, 2009 at 6:44 p.m. the R40Ms are out of service.

RIP R40Ms! I didn't get a last ride but I did ride their fellow Slant-nosed counterparts on their last day, so the Straights will never be a distant memory either.

And now that makes less car class with a railfan window.

They took the pair out this morning, He just posted the news later.

As of Friday, August 28th, 2009 at 6:44 p.m. the R40Ms are out of service.

RIP R40Ms! I didn't get a last ride but I did ride their fellow Slant-nosed counterparts on their last day, so the Straights will never be a distant memory either.

And now that makes less car class with a railfan window.

They took it out of service after the A.M. rush.

They took the pair out this morning, He just posted the news later.

Really? Well, even so, they're gone. The Straights are gone. But I did get to ride a pair last week on the (R) so I'll have to be content with that. Did TA personnel hand out any papers like how one worker handed out R40 Slant last day papers?

Nope, It was just like R38's when they retired.

I knew that was going to be the case. At least the R42s will get a similar tribute like the Slants. But we all know the R32's retirement is gonna have a HUGE turnout, that is, if the R160 foamers choose to attend.

Nope, It was just like R38's when they retired.

it was just one pair with an R42 train. nothing popular. the R40Ms were only built due to the design flaws of the slants. most people cannot even tell the difference between an R40M and R42. i did not even know the R40Ms existed until 2002.

I knew that was going to be the case. At least the R42s will get a similar tribute like the Slants. But we all know the R32's retirement is gonna have a HUGE turnout, that is, if the R160 foamers choose to attend.

rofl, i will be laughing at the train operator's face the last R42 train turns out empty. the only reason why (NYCT) decided to indicate the last slanted train with those signs was because they knew those cars were well-loved by railfans, but it will be quite insulting for them to do it on the R42s as well. if you want to ride the last train, go ahead, but i will continue to avoid them at all costs until the day i can finally applause for the retirement. as for the R32s, i hope they throw a fancy ceremony and commencement just like the Redbirds because those Brightliners are one of the best cars ever built. i want to throw my own personal news report for their final trip and break down in tears when the last train leaves whatever station it terminates at.

i end this post by saying "See Ya!" to the R40Ms!

rofl, i will be laughing at the train operator's face the last R42 train turns out empty. the only reason why (NYCT) decided to indicate the last slanted train with those signs was because they knew those cars were well-loved by railfans, but it will be quite insulting for them to do it on the R42s as well. if you want to ride the last train, go ahead, but i will continue to avoid them at all costs until the day i can finally applause for the retirement. as for the R32s, i hope they throw a fancy ceremony and commencement just like the Redbirds because those Brightliners are one of the best cars ever built. i want to throw my own personal news report for their final trip and break down in tears when the last train leaves whatever station it terminates at.

i end this post by saying "See Ya!" to the R40Ms!

Actually, just because you despise the R42s doesn't mean the last R42 will be empty. NYCT won't even feel insulted at all if they decide to advertise the R42 last ride. And I don't understand why you would break in tears over a steel box with wheels (whether it be R32 or R160)...

Archived