Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Tinamarie

Question about the M train.

The (M) runs only between Metropolian Avenue and Myrtle Avenue-Broadway on weekends and late nights. When it does, it only uses four car R160A trains. During weekdays, though it uses eight car R160A trains.

The (M) runs only between Metropolian Avenue and Myrtle Avenue-Broadway on weekends and late nights. When it does, it only uses four car R160A trains. During weekdays, though it uses eight car R160A trains.

M OPTO (4 cars of course) is from 2:04AM Saturday thru 1:44 AM Monday morning. At 2:04 AM Monday morning, 8 car service WITH conductors start up again.

M OPTO (4 cars of course) is from 2:04AM Saturday thru 1:44 AM Monday morning. At 2:04 AM Monday morning, 8 car service WITH conductors start up again.

Thanks for the additional information, it helps a lot. I forgot about the OPTO on the (M) on Weekends.

erm lets not confuse people with stuff so hard :)

On the other hand ©urake is right OPTO is when its only the train operator operating the train with no conductors.. Same goes for the (G) during weekends and late nights. ANd (S) i think

lmao! Excellent answer!

But seriously though, there isn't a great need for both the J and the M to go into Manahttan on the weekends and late nights. Plus it's only a walk across the platform from the M to the J.

Yesterday I needed to head to lower Manhattan. Since the (E) was acting up I took the (J) from Jamaica Center to Chambers. Hardly anyone was on the (J) up until Myrtle. It seemed like there were more (M) riders transfering to the (J) than there were (J) riders.

erm lets not confuse people with stuff so hard :)

On the other hand ©urake is right OPTO is when its only the train operator operating the train with no conductors.. Same goes for the (G) during weekends and late nights. ANd (S) i think

OPTO is in effect on the G only for Saturday and Sunday schedules, not during weeknight overnights. In other words, just after midnight Saturday morning it starts, and conductors come back just after midnight Monday morning, exactly like the M line.

I have a question: Why can't the (M) operate to Chambers St on weekends? Sometimes the (J) takes a while to come.

Because there are budgets! Hello: they say they have no money! Extending the M to Manhattan on the weekends would require greatly increased crew costs: twice the number of t/o's plus c/r's for all jobs would be needed.

Have you looked at the J line schedule on the MTA website? If you feel there are no enough J trains, either you want a taxi like service or there was a delay in service. On Saturdays there is a 8 or 9 minute headway during a good part of the day, up from a 10 minute headway M-F. Sundays the headway is basically 9 or 10 minutes from noon till six.

They were planning to extend service right when they dropped the increase plans and started threatening cuts instead.

It would only cost more on paper, really. If they added the jobs for it, it would simply draw from the extra extra list pool, before it would require new hires.

With the headways of both lines, and the fact that they do not always wait for the connection, having both lines run to Manhattan would be useful. (And it woukd have solved the problem of running the (J) to Metreopolitan this last G.O. as it would have simply been the (M) running normal).