Should Other Subway Schedules Be Combined?

EE Broadway Local

I've noticed the (F) and (V) trains share a schedule (paper and internet) and this has got me thinking: Should other subway schedules be combined where two trains share the same or parallel tracks in two or more boroughs?

I actually like the (F) and (V) shared schedule. It's good since the (F) and (V) share tracks between Lower East Side-Second Avenue and 47th-50th Streets-Rockerfeller Center and parallel tracks between Queens Plaza and Forest Hills (with a tiny exception where the (F) triangulates).

They should definitely incorporate the Rockaway Park (S) shuttle's schedule into the (A) train's schedule, since it is in effect a part of the (A) running shorter trains. The Lefferts Boulevard late-night shuttle is already in the (A) schedule.

The Franklin Avenue shuttle doesn't quite fit into any schedule. The 42nd St shuttle should probably be squeezed into the (7)'s schedule, since its route overlaps with the (7) in Manhattan.

The (M) could perhaps be fit into the (J)(Z) schedules, since they run a common line for most of the (M)'s route, and on weekends and late nights the (M) is just a shuttle feeding into the (J) at Myrtle Avenue.

The (W) should definitely be folded into the same schedule as the (N).

(A) and (S) is already merged:

http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tacur.pdf

Tho only in the map.. Same for (S):

http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/thcur.pdf

And wow they use (H) for the thcur name. tacur for (A)

They should definitely incorporate the Rockaway Park (S) shuttle's schedule into the (A) train's schedule, since it is in effect a part of the (A) running shorter trains. The Lefferts Boulevard late-night shuttle is already in the (A) schedule.

The Franklin Avenue shuttle doesn't quite fit into any schedule. The 42nd St shuttle should probably be squeezed into the (7)'s schedule, since its route overlaps with the (7) in Manhattan.

The (M) could perhaps be fit into the (J)(Z) schedules, since they run a common line for most of the (M)'s route, and on weekends and late nights the (M) is just a shuttle feeding into the (J) at Myrtle Avenue.

The (W) should definitely be folded into the same schedule as the (N).

@Luis (J)(Z)>> http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/tjcur.pdf

But they don't run on tracks that connect to each other. They're completely separated. I don't think it would work.

Yea, but it's nice to see them paired on a scedule especially since the terminal is moving from tsq for the (7).

- A

Yea, but it's nice to see them paired on a scedule especially since the terminal is moving from tsq for the (7).

- A

I still don't see the point. They don't share tracks, the cars don't even come from the same yard, and the point you just made shows that there's even less of a reason for them to share schedules.

I still don't see the point. They don't share tracks, the cars don't even come from the same yard, and the point you just made shows that there's even less of a reason for them to share schedules.

Even tho they dont share tracks, they both make the same stops except 5th ave which is the Flushing line. Tho it could also be a waste of time and space.. Where would the (S) timetable be placed...?

Even tho they dont share tracks, they both make the same stops except 5th ave which is the Flushing line. Tho it could also be a waste of time and space.. Where would the (S) timetable be placed...?

True true... does the (S) even need a schedule? It's just two stops.

What I'm saying is, they don't interline. The rest of the lines that have been mentioned in this thread do. If they don't interline, I don't see the point of having them share schedules. Look at the OP's original post, even.

where two trains share the same or parallel tracks

The (7) and (S) don't fall under this category.

Funny that you mentioned, the (S) has its own: http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t0cur.pdf

For only 2 stops? Please.... Its more of a 1-2 min wait, Around 10PM-12AM, like a 5min wait since Track 3 is used. When (7) isnt running due to a G/o, late nights its like 10-20min wait..

But anyways, does track have to cound for this? I mean, even if the line does the same stops?

True true... does the (S) even need a schedule? It's just two stops.

What I'm saying is, they don't interline. The rest of the lines that have been mentioned in this thread do. If they don't interline, I don't see the point of having them share schedules. Look at the OP's original post, even.

The (7) and (S) don't fall under this category.

If people want to get to GCT and not take a crowded (7) it'd be nice to know the (S) schedule. Same with the other direction.

- A

I've taken the (S) before. There's always a train in the station, at least on the GCT side. And the one that's packed is the next one leaving.

And because it's only two stops, the next train is never far away.

Perhaps it does merit its own schedule, but point still stands that they should not combine schedules. Plus the fact that there are so many trains leaving on both lines.

The only legit timetable merger I can think of is the (N)(W) because basically the (W) compliments the (N) in Queens and Manhattan, and goes to Lower Manhattan while the (N) goes on the bridge. When the (W) doesn't run, the (N) picks up the slack making local stops in Manhattan up to Canal Street. Late nights, it goes via the Whitehall St tunnel, making the (N) literally (W)'s normal route during late nights

The only legit timetable merger I can think of is the (N)(W) because basically the (W) compliments the (N) in Queens and Manhattan, and goes to Lower Manhattan while the (N) goes on the bridge. When the (W) doesn't run, the (N) picks up the slack making local stops in Manhattan up to Canal Street. Late nights, it goes via the Whitehall St tunnel, making the (N) literally (W)'s normal route during late nights

Plus, (W) was <N> in the early 80s according to my maps

They split up too far in Brooklyn. Now, when they only went to 34th, definitely yes.

I agree with you here. The (N) and the (W) sharing a terminal would make the greatest of sense since they basically serve the same number of stations, just like the (F) and the (V). Basically, a full-time line and a weekday line that share the common route for an extended period of time wold be best to have in one timetable instead of two. This is why I'm not too sure about putting the (A) and the (C) together. The (C) is a daytime line (all times except late nights) and I think there would be too much information to cram into one timetable for both the (A) and the (C).

Plus, (W) was <N> in the early 80s according to my maps

Except that the <N> back then ran only during rush hours.

Mark1447, Metsfan & 7Line Fan: I only ever said the 42nd St (S) shuttle's schedule might possibly be squeezed into the (7). You don't have to take it so seriously.

I agree that since they don't interline it wouldn't make much sense, and while Metsfan's point about choosing one or the other is valid, hardly anyone ever consults timetables, especially for the 42nd St (S).

I would conclude that it's probably fine the way it is.

Archived