R33ML/WF Refuse with a Flat wheel?

mark1447

Vehicles can get a flat wheel and now a rail car? lol

Caught it last night at NB 174th St on the (2)(5) WPR Line... Around 2AM(Oct 11)

Flat wheel or something else?

Enjoy!

Double click the video to Watch via Youtube to see it in Wide HD view! Rather the compact! Please rate as well as you wish! :P Thanks

Vehicles can get a flat wheel and now a rail car? lol

Caught it last night at NB 174th St on the (2)(5) WPR Line... Around 2AM(Oct 11)

Flat wheel or something else?

Enjoy!

Double click the video to Watch via Youtube to see it in Wide HD view! Rather the compact! Please rate as well as you wish! :P Thanks

Rail cars can always get flat wheels, but this one sounded really bad!

Nice catch!

Rail cars can always get flat wheels, but this one sounded really bad!

Nice catch!

Oh ok! Then thats news to hear. But how is it flat tho. Out of shape?

Nice catch!

Shane's right, that doesn't sound too good at all. Isn't there a type of machine that fixes the diameter of the wheels so they won't make that sound?

Thanks guys!

Oh ok! Then thats news to hear. But how is it flat tho. Out of shape?

Thanks guys btw?

It means that the wheel is not 100% round and there is an area that is flat. The wheel either needs to be changes or re profiled. It used to happen alot more when brakes locked up.

When leaf season starts this will be more common on CI Yard's R68/As & R160s as well as the R142s on the (5) line. Wet leaves on the tracks causes flat wheels because of wheel slippage IIRC. Its annoying because on SMEEs it affects the ride qulity of the train when its slowing down.

IIRC. Its annoying because on SMEEs it affects the ride qulity of the train when its slowing down.

It's even worse on the NTTs because it's harder to feel the wheel slip and the NTTs don't stop so well on wet or slippery rails.

Slippery rails only cause flat spots when braking, if one wheel is sliding, and its axle pair is not, the not wheel will take the friction load of both, resulting in a flat spot on one side.

One time i rode on an arrow 3 with similar issue. Coming from morrisville yard they accidently left the brakes on in the last car in the train, a B unit, and by the time the crew realized it and fixed it pulling into trenton, there was a pretty healthy flat spot built up on the rear truck's wheels. Needless to say i was the only one sitting back there, trying to see what happened next. It was that time of year as well, so it may have been sliding on leaf goo, since the yard and tracks in that area are surrounded by trees.

- A

When leaf season starts this will be more common on CI Yard's R68/As & R160s as well as the R142s on the (5) line. Wet leaves on the tracks causes flat wheels because of wheel slippage IIRC. Its annoying because on SMEEs it affects the ride qulity of the train when its slowing down.

when is leaf season?

Sure flat wheels can happen...actually can be more common than you think.

The only solution is to true the wheel or replace it all together.

How often are subway cars put on the wheel machine?

All it takes is a parking brake left on to ruin 4 axle pairs of wheels. Good thing wheels are recycled!

- A

How often are subway cars put on the wheel machine?

Depends on mileage and the results of routine inspections (or any reported conditions)...mileage inspections of course depends on which line a particular car runs on so (A) and (2) line cars will get inspected more frequently than (J) and (7) line cars.

Great video!

What happened with those last two, they couldnt decide which color to make them? Red or Yellow

Nah, high visibility on the cab end. Comet 3 have this due to the clearance down near the tracks on either side. High visibility stripes are actually quite common, especially when they work in yards, you want workers to be able to see it. Sometimes it's just what they feel like putting as livery.

CN_5500_shows_the_sergeant_stripes_paint_scheme.jpg

ad-12.jpg

- A

Cool vid but what the hell you were doing in Morrisania at 2AM! It's way too dangerous out there.

Umm?? I live in the bronx. And thats West Farms area too.. Plus im perfectly fine..

Anyways thanks.

And Bronx isnt the only place to be dangerous. Everywhere in NYC. Even Queens

Very true. What you got against queens?

Sorry if i sounded a bit aggressive on my last post. And Nope nothing. Hey I go to and love Queens too to fan even visit my Grandparents. Even Rockaway Beach, Corona Park and Mets Game[im a fan yes lol] lol. NYC in general has "hot spots" where there are gangs and crime in most places. Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and even Staten Island, you name it. i love my city but most people(not you) do blame the bronx for things, which its sad but it isnt the only place where the most crime is at. I can see why hardly people rail or bus fan here. Ether its far or its just hiding the truth or people just dont know much about it(Which that I understand). But thats not the case anyways, Crime is everywhere. Just a word though, no harm meant :P!

He doesn't. He was just pointing out that NYC is not some "safe" place with "bad spots" it can generally be dangerous anywhere.

- A

Thanks Andy for pointing this out :tup:

Archived