DeKalb Ave Express Tracks

Abba

If a (D) or (N) skips DeKalb ave,do they must wind up on the express track at Pacific, or can they end up on the local as well?

Um, the D/N already skips DeKalb. Only the B/Q stops on the outer most tracks and the M/R in the middle set of tracks.

The N years ago before it ran over the bridge in 2004 used to run express on 4th Av, but switched to the 'local' tracks at Pacific to go thru the tunnel.

If a (D) or (N) skips DeKalb ave,do they must wind up on the express track at Pacific, or can they end up on the local as well?

Yes, Coney Island Bound (D) & (N) trains that run via DeKalb Av Bypass will wind up on the Coney Island Bound Express Track at Pacific St. However, Manhattan-Bound (D) & (N) Trains running via 4 Av Express, can switch to the Manhattan Bound Local Track ( As said By Grand Concourse) just north of Pacific St, and can stop at Dekalb Av, and have a choice going via Bridge (:P(Q) Track, or Lower Manhattan via Montague St Tunnel (M)(R) Track.

Zach

Yes, Coney Island Bound (D) & (N) trains that run via DeKalb Av Bypass will wind up on the Coney Island Bound Express Track at Pacific St. However, Manhattan-Bound (D) & (N) Trains running via 4 Av Express, can switch to the Manhattan Bound Local Track ( As said By Grand Concourse) just north of Pacific St, and can stop at Dekalb Av, and have a choice going via Bridge (:P(Q) Track, or Lower Manhattan via Montague St Tunnel (M)(R) Track.

Zach

I couldn't have said it better myself. :tup:

To add to this discussion, the DeKalb Avenue Express tracks are not used on late nights, where the (D)(N) would normally use them. Both the (D)(N) serve DeKalb Avenue, the (D) using the outer tracks going to/from Manhattan Bridge, and the (N) using the inner local tracks, coming to/from Lower Manhattan.

Speaking of Dekalb: today I was on the B train that left the station and going up the bridge and I saw this 'kalidescope' art on the side of the wall. I dunno how long it has been there, but it was pretty neat to see it.

Also lol at the crew where the t/o told the c/r to calm down saying they had '8 hours'. I dunno if he intended the conversation to be public, but it can be heard clearly in the car via PA.

Speaking of Dekalb: today I was on the B train that left the station and going up the bridge and I saw this 'kalidescope' art on the side of the wall. I dunno how long it has been there, but it was pretty neat to see it.

Also lol at the crew where the t/o told the c/r to calm down saying they had '8 hours'. I dunno if he intended the conversation to be public, but it can be heard clearly in the car via PA.

It's called "Masstransiscope", a spin-off to the zoetrope, a toy children played with during the early 20th century, and probably dates back to the 1800s as well. It involves spinning the toy to view images moving rapidly, giving the impression that what they're seeing is animated. It was installed in the abandoned Myrtle Avenue station not too long ago.

A couple odds and ends worth pointing out about the switches north and south of DeKalb:

-Any S/B train that commits to the bypass at DeKalb is committed to the 4th Ave Exp.

-All N/B trains have the choice of bridge or tunnel prior to entering the DeKalb Ave station. However for the 4th Ave Exp the switch is all the way back just north of Pacific.

-Trains via tunnel can go to the Brighton line (yes, "R to Brighton" GO is possible without having to send it over the bridge)

-Though Gold interlocking (switches north of DeKalb) looks complicated, each track only faces one switch (S/B this controls whether the train stops at DeKalb or goes through the bypass, N/B this controls whether the train goes via south or north side of the bridge). The only track with two interlockings is the Southbound Broadway (south side of the bridge) track, which has a second interlocking that can send trains headed to the bypass back to the outside track to stop at DeKalb.

-S/B Trains via tunnel can go 4th avenue express by using a crossover north of Pacific St.

A couple odds and ends worth pointing out about the switches north and south of DeKalb:

-Any S/B train that commits to the bypass at DeKalb is committed to the 4th Ave Exp.

-All N/B trains have the choice of bridge or tunnel prior to entering the DeKalb Ave station. However for the 4th Ave Exp the switch is all the way back just north of Pacific.

-Trains via tunnel can go to the Brighton line (yes, "R to Brighton" GO is possible without having to send it over the bridge)

-Though Gold interlocking (switches north of DeKalb) looks complicated, each track only faces one switch (S/B this controls whether the train stops at DeKalb or goes through the bypass, N/B this controls whether the train goes via south or north side of the bridge). The only track with two interlockings is the Southbound Broadway (south side of the bridge) track, which has a second interlocking that can send trains headed to the bypass back to the outside track to stop at DeKalb.

-S/B Trains via tunnel can go 4th avenue express by using a crossover north of Pacific St.

Can i N/B ExpressTrain stop at Dekalb and go over bridge. Or for the express they must skip Dekalb?

Can i N/B ExpressTrain stop at Dekalb and go over bridge. Or for the express they must skip Dekalb?

Yes it can, but the switch to do so is north of Pacific Street so if it misses that switch then the move won't be possible.

N/B 4th Ave express can:

-Stop at DeKalb, go via bridge to 6th ave

-Stop at DeKalb, go via bridge to Bway

-Stop at DeKalb, go via tunnel to Lower Bway/Nassau St

-Skip DeKalb, go via bridge to 6th ave

-Skip DeKalb, go via bridge to Bway

N/B express can NOT:

-Skip DeKalb, go via tunnel to Lower Bway/Nassau St

It's called "Masstransiscope", a spin-off to the zoetrope, a toy children played with during the early 20th century, and probably dates back to the 1800s as well. It involves spinning the toy to view images moving rapidly, giving the impression that what they're seeing is animated. It was installed in the abandoned Myrtle Avenue station not too long ago.

Not too long ago? Im shocked its still there. i first saw that almost 20 years ago. it was a rocket ship taking off and the last time i saw it about 8 or 9 years ago it was a car commercial like the one on PATH

Nice explanation SubwayGuy of some classic BMT. =)

I'd like to add on a historical note that under DeKalb Av's original configuration, it was possible for trains to access the Montague Tunnel from both the bypass and bridge tracks N/O the station. That is why the north section of the present DeKalb Av was not fully walled off until the renovation a few years ago. It was where the switches used to be prior to the station's extension to the north.

Not too long ago? Im shocked its still there. i first saw that almost 20 years ago. it was a rocket ship taking off and the last time i saw it about 8 or 9 years ago it was a car commercial like the one on PATH

Really? So it's been there "for a while". Okay then. I guess they update it to keep passengers interested. The one they have now is a ball bouncing and then a rocket ship.

I've always thought of the DeKalb Avenue tracks as "Bridge", "Tunnel" and "By-Pass" rather than Local and Express. Is this correct?

It was originally designed as just another 4th Ave. local station like Union St. and the others. Exp. was what's now the "bypass" and local continued to the stop at Myrtle. Both went via bridge. Then, in 1920, the Brighton line was connected in, and the tunnel opened at the same time, with the former local track routed to it and the outside track taking its place towards Myrtle and the bridge.

It was originally designed as just another 4th Ave. local station like Union St. and the others. Exp. was what's now the "bypass" and local continued to the stop at Myrtle. Both went via bridge. Then, in 1920, the Brighton line was connected in, and the tunnel opened at the same time, with the former local track routed to it and the outside track taking its place towards Myrtle and the bridge.

So are you saying that the station was modified from four tracks to six?

Another bit of info:

There is a loop on the bridge side of the station. No track was ever laid from what I've read though.

Also the last time I took the train to Brooklyn, Before Dekalb I noticed what looked to be a ramp coming down from the ceiling. It may just be a structural thing, but it had space for a track bed. I may have been seeing things though...

Archived