Sledgehammer Samuelsen: Track worker wants to be leader of the TWU

Harry

Track worker John Samuelsen's time in the shadows may be coming to an end.

A burly track inspector who walks the pitch-black tunnels with a sledgehammer on his shoulder, Samuelsen, 42, is bent on becoming the next president of the bus and subway workers union.

As the election winds down, the son "of two working-class stiffs from Brooklyn" sounds like a man ready to rumble.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/11/12/2009-11-12_wants_to_be_leader_of_the_tracks.html#ixzz0WeOTx9Nx

post-1-133288581153_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581153_thumb.jpg

Anybody is an improvement.

Look for a total housecleaning (throw the bums out) when the election results are announced.

We have a very de-moralized angry workforce right now.

De-moralized and angry we are.........

But if things continue the same with new leadership, C/R's, T/O', and B/O's are going to really have to think about joining together, and get different representation for our line of work (actually moving people). I just keep thinking about what Jah said about hire ups not having a problem with paying us more, as they feel we do deserve it. What hold us down, is the majority who they feel don't deserve it. Their is safety in numbers, but I feel we are getting screwed in numbers, if MTA truly believe we should be paid more..........

Heck even if it is still TWU, they should create a different branch for just us who have to inspect our equipment before we move it, and who are responsible for safe operation and movement of customers...........

another track worker to look out for the needs of track dept. its because of track dept that they are trying to take flagging away from rto. because they saw how much money we make flagging for outside contractors. the problem they ran into is we have the best safety record and they barely have enough people to get their work done let alone ours. so now they want to push for a central flagging unit that caters to track dept. i agree we need to break away from the lower titles. t/o, c/r, b/o, tw/o should not be held back because of lower titles. cleaners dont really deserve the same raise's as operating personal in safety sensitive titles. we are also the only ones randomly drug tested after being hired. there are numerous cleaners and station agents that get high or come to work drunk.

another track worker to look out for the needs of track dept. its because of track dept that they are trying to take flagging away from rto. because they saw how much money we make flagging for outside contractors. the problem they ran into is we have the best safety record and they barely have enough people to get their work done let alone ours. so now they want to push for a central flagging unit that caters to track dept. i agree we need to break away from the lower titles. t/o, c/r, b/o, tw/o should not be held back because of lower titles. cleaners dont really deserve the same raise's as operating personal in safety sensitive titles. we are also the only ones randomly drug tested after being hired. there are numerous cleaners and station agents that get high or come to work drunk.

How exactly is Track Dept trying to take away construction flagging from RTO? RTO runs everything now and makes all the decisions. It's always been that way and always will be. If construction flagging was "given" to Track, it would be RTO's decision. I also don't think any Trackmen are envious of the money Construction flaggers make. Any Trackman can pick a Capital day or night job and make close to 100k. Even Track Maintenence has been making overtime, which is unheard of. As far as a Central Flagging unit, they've been talking about that for a while now. I don't think it's gonna happen. Too complicated. Trackmen don't want that anyway. We prefer having Trackworkers as our Flagmen:cool:. BTW I know John Samuelsen, and he will make a good President:tup:. He doesn't take any crap from anyone:mad:. Toussaint was a Trackman and didn't do the Track Dept any favors. As a matter of fact, he set the Track Dept back by okaying the 4 day work week pilot program, which eliminated almost 30k in OT per worker.

• 1 month later...

Archived