Whats the point of the (W)?

El person

The (W) is a supplementary line designed to help crowding on Broadway and Astoria. While the line is neither a necessity nor a priority, it gets the job done and is arguably needed at times on Broadway and Astoria. It is also the only Broadway line that doesn't get impacted if something goes wrong in Brooklyn.

If they bring the (W) to the Sea Beach line, maybe they could revive Sea Beach express service.

That will never happen again because the service won'y benefit Sea Beach riders. The only way it could work is if New Utrecht Avenue and Kings Highway are converted into express stations but that is highly unlikely so I'm not going to talk out of my rear as to what I'd like to see. Right now, no. Later, maybe.

Sea Beach is a pretty low use line. Even the West end line could use the express service over the N and the tracks/stations are already set up. So i highly doubt the need for any Sea Beach express service.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I've had a bunch of passengers boarding in bunches on the Manhattan bound (N) at Bay Parkway, New Utrecht Avenue, Fort Hamilton Parkway, and 8th Avenue.

The (W) need not to go to Brooklyn, unless circumstances warrant it's extension on that borough.

Nah, Sea Beach isn't lowly used, GC... I can see where one would think that by how decrepit the stations are, but it's far from the case.... Although I do agree that there's absolutely no point in implementing express service on the Sea Beach....

Anyway, as others have said, the (W) is there to supplement the (N) in the part of Queens it so serves, and Manhattan.... After the (N) serves canal st, on it's way to Brooklyn, yes it's still crowded, but to the point where the (N) is sufficient enough to serve Brooklyn....

In other words, the W doesn't have to supplement, anything, in Brooklyn.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully, the (W) won't be really cancelled. The (W) helps the (R) between Lexington Avenue and Whitehall.

I hope not either. I hope none of these service cuts get implemented. It's the last thing any New Yorker needs.

The (W) helps speed service on the Broadway local. The (R) sucks on it's own, so it needs help and I think that the (W) has been a good alternate on Broadway. It will suck if the (N) becomes a full time local again. It should be remain an express in Manhattan. It's going to be a big mess if that happens.

Archived