Best/Worst subway cars?

R10 2952

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why people would really have any issues with the R29s- They were never a remarkable class either way. Prior to overhaul they were practically identical (physically and mechanically) to the R33 and R36 mainline fleets. Post overhaul they were practically identical (physically and mechanically) to the R26 and R28 fleets. Sure, the westinghouse R29s were rather unreliable, but so were the westinghouse R36s (the only other westinghouse redbirds.) SLC had significant experience building SMEEs for NYCT. The R17-21-22s were all from SLC, and ran significantly better than their B division ACF counterparts, the R16s.

Physically, the R29s were some of the best. almost none of them had any sort of significant rot. (the same could be said for all of the SLC mainline fleets.)

Worst:

1. R32CI/GE - Did not do a good job at all of GOHing them.

2. R42 CI - Same thing for the R32 CI just a bad job of GOHing

Best:

1. Redbirds - Some of the reliable and good looking cars but they needed to go sadly.

2. R32 MK- Very reliable performance after GOH ,still looks clean n shiny

3. R38/40- Amazing Cars in terms of MDBF/ Great Design

4. R42 MK- Reliable in terms of breakdowns, but they should have been replaced with stainless steel roofs.

5. R46- Should have swapped trucks with the R44 perfect car and has a nice design.

6. R143- Love the way it sounds

Neutral:

1. R44- Still has the speed but is falling apart slowly.

2. R142/A- Great Car but I need to see the car mid-live to judge

3. R160- IDK about it, I don't really like the design too much.

MK DID get the contract to rebuilt all the R44s.

They just subcontracted them back to NYCT for some. Parts were still provided by MK, for both NYCT and MK overhauls.

thats incorrect coney island overhauled cars 5342-5479 and morrison-knudsen did 5202-5341

R68s are rusting? I'm s.ure that what you saw were steel dust.

Dude, if that was steel dust, you'd die! Like, seriously, because it's a health hazard. Stainless steel can't rust anyway but the 68s, especially the ones at Concourse, need a wash-down like right now because they look dirty. I'm sure that was what RockawayChick was implying.

I'm not as big a judge of subway cars as the average railfan...as long as they get me where I'm going they're alright with me but my 'best" list has to be

-R32

-62/A

-68/A

-142/A

-160A-1/A-2

"Worst" List

-R42

-R44

-R46

-R160B

The 160 thing is because the Siemens cars IMO are pieces of crap that should be sent back to wherever the hell they came from lol...when I ride them the FIND's almost always off, or frozen, and they have the super loud HVACs for no real reason...true the 142s have them but still...why aren't the 160A's epically loud like them.

R-62/62A : Every car never went into a major incident, and could recover itself quickly if there is a breakdown.

Ever heard of the Union Square wreck? That would count as a major incident. Granted, it was the operator's fault, but several cars were completely destroyed.

And I was on a Manhattan-bound <7>, and the train just went BIE between Junction and 61st... took us 20 minutes to get moving again. Not very quick at all. Though on the most part, the 62/A's are extremely reliable, I just don't like them.

My best:

32: Been in service for so long, and can probably still hold up for a few years.

142A: Love the propulsion, and very fast, although the ones on the (6) buck a little. Not the ones on the (4), though.

160: New. Smoother suspension than the SMEEs. Bright.

Worst:

38: The few times I caught them they were quite dark and rickety.

62/A, 68/A: Don't get me wrong, they're very reliable, but... I just don't like the look, and they feel sluggish to me compared to everything else.

What the hell was (NYCT) thinking when rebulding the R44s?:(

i dont know but they should have followed the same frormula they followed with the 46s starting with removing the blue strip not just painting over it and removing the glass by the doors and making the cab doors wider and installing more lighting into the cars

MK got the contract to overhaul all 272 R44s. MK subcontracted out NYCTA to actually do the work on half of them, although MK did supply parts for the NYCTA rebuilds

CI rebuilt no R32s. I assume you are referring to were rebuilt by GE upstate. those were really prototypes for the later GOH program- They did well enough to justify the heavier overhaul that the R32/38/40/42 received.

The difference today between the R44 and R46 stripes has little to do with their overhaul. As the side stripe area is entirely stainless on R46s, they could just remove the paint from the sides, without putting any sort of paint in its place.

As that area is carbon steel on the R44s, it was necessary to keep it painted, as when unpainted, carbon steel will rust. The SI R44s had the whole area removed and replaced with stainless steel. (as did two NYCT R44s.)

The difference today between the R44 and R46 stripes has little to do with their overhaul. As the side stripe area is entirely stainless on R46s, they could just remove the paint from the sides, without putting any sort of paint in its place.

As that area is carbon steel on the R44s, it was necessary to keep it painted, as when unpainted, carbon steel will rust. The SI R44s had the whole area removed and replaced with stainless steel. (as did two NYCT R44s.)

No wonder why the R42s rooflines look like crap. They need a paintjob! Oh well, they're due for retirement soon anyway.

So why didn't (MTA) leave the blue strip on if they still didn't replace it with stainless steel?

Dude, if that was steel dust, you'd die! Like, seriously, because it's a health hazard. Stainless steel can't rust anyway but the 68s, especially the ones at Concourse, need a wash-down like right now because they look dirty. I'm sure that was what RockawayChick was implying.

You do know that steel dust covers everything in the subway. Spend about 8 hours in the subway then blow your nose. Everything will come out BLACK, thats steel dust.

You do know that steel dust covers everything in the subway. Spend about 8 hours in the subway then blow your nose. Everything will come out BLACK, thats steel dust.

The amount of it in tunnels is by far worse than on the platforms. Track workers are exposed to it the most. And it is still a health hazard.

If you repainted the roof of every R42, most of them would look ok.

If things turn out the way they're looking, the last 64 R42s (perhaps more if they aren't stripped) may be here for another few years.

i must admit, R42s and the other St Louis junks looked a lot better back in early 90s than they do now. Keep dreaming about the R42s because they still suck. Even with the R44 problems, there is still enough R160s to replace all remaining R42s and R32s. If all R44s end up getting retired now (which i really hope happens because there is not one good thing about them), then all remaining R42s and R32s will be staying until at least 2015, which by then people will avoid them because they will be limping into each station it goes into and crumbling badly. R42s will not survive another six months in the system and the R32s can only survive 3-4 years more max. (NYCT) will be keeping the R32s over the R42s because other than MDBF (which varies year-by-year), R32s are clearly better than R42s in every way.

honestly, why do we need to have this thread because there are already lots of threads where people talk about their favorite and least favorite cars? You all know my favorite cars are R32s and least favorite are the R42s and R44s and i do not need to explain why.

The R42s could both last much longer than 6 more months, and that the R32s could last longer than 3-4 years, both without causing any significant problems.

If the R44s are considered to be in good enough shape, most R32/R42s will be retired shortly.

If the R44s are considered to be in too poor shape to justify retaining them, the remaining R32/R42s will remain for a while longer.

you finally make sense, but if the R44s do end up getting replaced by the remaining R160s, the R32s and R42s may have to go through another process of SMS and overhaul.

honestly, why do we need to have this thread because there are already lots of threads where people talk about their favorite and least favorite cars? You all know my favorite cars are R32s and least favorite are the R42s and R44s and i do not need to explain why i.

Honestly, why not? Is having another thread on this topic hurting you in some way or bothering you? If it does either of the two, don't open it. You seem to be someone who like to voice your opinion alot, but don't seem to like it when others do the same.

honestly, why do we need to have this thread because there are already lots of threads where people talk about their favorite and least favorite cars? You all know my favorite cars are R32s and least favorite are the R42s and R44s and i do not need to explain why i.

If you have a problem with the thread, don't comment. It's that simple.

Archived