Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't post the map, but I'll post the service pattern. Just a few things of note:

*Forest Avenue is extended down to connect with Chelsea Road.

*Richmond Hill Road is extended westward to connect with the West Shore Expressway.

*I haven't decided what to do with the express buses. There is a commuter rail line running down the median of I-278 and the FDR Drive to Grand Central, starting at the Bloomfield station at Edward Curry Avenue at the West Shore Expressway.

*In addition to the commuter rail line and current SIR, there is a North Shore Line which turns onto the West Shore Expressway, an HBLR extension down Richmond Avenue to the Eltingville SIR station, and a link to Newark Airport and the Newark Light Rail (see this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark-Elizabeth_Rail_Link)

*I haven't decided on which limited-stop routes I am going to keep (I'm definitely getting rid of the (S89) and (S90), due to the fact that they duplicate the North Shore Line and HBLR extension, respectively.

*I haven't decided on a timetable.

*If a route was eliminated, the remaining routes will receive artics and/or increased service (I think this only applies to the S44, and S62 because the S59 and S61 routes were eliminated

S40: St George-West Shore Plaza via Richmond Terrace and Chelsea Road. (Chelsea Road would serve an expanded Teleport, which was part of a plan for the West Shore)

S42: St George-SI Mall via St Marks Place, Henderson Avenue, Manor Road, and Forest Hill Road. (Basically, the S42 is extended down Henderson Avenue and then over part of the S54 and S61 routes). Off-peak hours, only from West Brighton-SI Mall.

S44: St George-SI Mall via Henderson Avenue and Richmond Avenue (current route)

S46: St George-West Shore Plaza via Castleton Avenue and South Avenue (current route)

S47: Mariners' Harbor-Bloomfield station via Amity Place and Van Pelt Avenue (NB)/Maple Parkway(SB)

S48: St George-Arlington via Forest Avenue (current route)

S51: St George-Grant City via Bay Street and Father Capodanno Blvd (current route)

S52: St George-Dongan Hills via Tompkins Avenue and Seaview Avenue (extended from SI University Hospital to Richmond Road/Dongan Hills Avenue

S53: Fort Hamilton-Port Richmond via Clove Road (current route)

S54: Port Richmond-Great Kills via Jewett Avenue (routed down Bradley Avenue and Jewett Avenue to replace the S61 and S66)

S55: College of SI-Perth Amboy via Forest Hill Road, Annadale Road, and Bloomingdale Road (extended on the southern end to serve the Perth Amboy Rail station, and down Forest Hill Road on the northern end to serve the College of Staten Island's back entrance.

S56: Travis-Hugenot via Richmond Hill Road and Woodrow Road (extended down Richmond Hill Road to connect with the West Shore Rail and S62)

S57: Port Richmond-New Dorp Beach via Watchogue Road (extended down Mill Road and New Dorp Lane to Cedar Grove Avenue. Also rerouted to Port Richmond Avenue from Decker Avenue to replace S59 (see below))

S58: Livingston station-Eltingville Transit Center via Bard Avenue, College Avenue, Arlene Street and Richmond Avenue.

S59: Eliminated (replaced with HBLR extension. Customers can use the S44 or S58 for local travel on Richmond Avenue, and the S57/S93 for travel on Port Richmond Avenue)

S61: Eliminated (customers can use new S42, S57, and S62 as alternatives)

S62: St George-Travis via Victory Blvd (current route)

S66: St George-Bloomfield station via Howard Avenue, North/South Gannon Avenue, and Goethals Road North(WB)/Fahy Avenue(EB)

S74: St George-Tottenville via Richmond Road and Arthur Kill Road (current route)

S76: St George-Oakwood Beach via Vanderbilt Avenue and Richmond Road (current route)

S78: St George-Tottenville via Hylan Blvd (current route)

S79: Fort Hamilton-SI Mall via Hylan Blvd and Richmond Avenue (current route)

S93: Fort Hamilton-Port Richmond via Clove Road, Victory Blvd, MLK Expressway, and Port Richmond Avenue.

Comments?

I still can't post the map, but I'll post the service pattern. Just a few things of note:

*Forest Avenue is extended down to connect with Chelsea Road.

*Richmond Hill Road is extended westward to connect with the West Shore Expressway.

*I haven't decided what to do with the express buses. There is a commuter rail line running down the median of I-278 and the FDR Drive to Grand Central, starting at the Bloomfield station at Edward Curry Avenue at the West Shore Expressway.

*In addition to the commuter rail line and current SIR, there is a North Shore Line which turns onto the West Shore Expressway, an HBLR extension down Richmond Avenue to the Eltingville SIR station, and a link to Newark Airport and the Newark Light Rail (see this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark-Elizabeth_Rail_Link)

*I haven't decided on which limited-stop routes I am going to keep (I'm definitely getting rid of the (S89) and (S90), due to the fact that they duplicate the North Shore Line and HBLR extension, respectively.

*I haven't decided on a timetable.

*If a route was eliminated, the remaining routes will receive artics and/or increased service (I think this only applies to the S44, and S62 because the S59 and S61 routes were eliminated

S40: St George-West Shore Plaza via Richmond Terrace and Chelsea Road. (Chelsea Road would serve an expanded Teleport, which was part of a plan for the West Shore)

S42: St George-SI Mall via St Marks Place, Henderson Avenue, Manor Road, and Forest Hill Road. (Basically, the S42 is extended down Henderson Avenue and then over part of the S54 and S61 routes). Off-peak hours, only from West Brighton-SI Mall.

S44: St George-SI Mall via Henderson Avenue and Richmond Avenue (current route)

S46: St George-West Shore Plaza via Castleton Avenue and South Avenue (current route)

S47: Mariners' Harbor-Bloomfield station via Amity Place and Van Pelt Avenue (NB)/Maple Parkway(SB)

S48: St George-Arlington via Forest Avenue (current route)

S51: St George-Grant City via Bay Street and Father Capodanno Blvd (current route)

S52: St George-Dongan Hills via Tompkins Avenue and Seaview Avenue (extended from SI University Hospital to Richmond Road/Dongan Hills Avenue

S53: Fort Hamilton-Port Richmond via Clove Road (current route)

S54: Port Richmond-Great Kills via Jewett Avenue (routed down Bradley Avenue and Jewett Avenue to replace the S61 and S66)

S55: College of SI-Perth Amboy via Forest Hill Road, Annadale Road, and Bloomingdale Road (extended on the southern end to serve the Perth Amboy Rail station, and down Forest Hill Road on the northern end to serve the College of Staten Island's back entrance.

S56: Travis-Hugenot via Richmond Hill Road and Woodrow Road (extended down Richmond Hill Road to connect with the West Shore Rail and S62)

S57: Port Richmond-New Dorp Beach via Watchogue Road (extended down Mill Road and New Dorp Lane to Cedar Grove Avenue. Also rerouted to Port Richmond Avenue from Decker Avenue to replace S59 (see below))

S58: Livingston station-Eltingville Transit Center via Bard Avenue, College Avenue, Arlene Street and Richmond Avenue.

S59: Eliminated (replaced with HBLR extension. Customers can use the S44 or S58 for local travel on Richmond Avenue, and the S57/S93 for travel on Port Richmond Avenue)

S61: Eliminated (customers can use new S42, S57, and S62 as alternatives)

S62: St George-Travis via Victory Blvd (current route)

S66: St George-Bloomfield station via Howard Avenue, North/South Gannon Avenue, and Goethals Road North(WB)/Fahy Avenue(EB)

S74: St George-Tottenville via Richmond Road and Arthur Kill Road (current route)

S76: St George-Oakwood Beach via Vanderbilt Avenue and Richmond Road (current route)

S78: St George-Tottenville via Hylan Blvd (current route)

S79: Fort Hamilton-SI Mall via Hylan Blvd and Richmond Avenue (current route)

S93: Fort Hamilton-Port Richmond via Clove Road, Victory Blvd, MLK Expressway, and Port Richmond Avenue.

Comments?

So what's going to operate between the college and Brooklyn??? It's already been established that the S93 should operate all day on weekdays, why get rid of the C.S.I./Bay Ridge link?

That's why I said "via Clove Road, Victory Blvd, MLK Expressway, and Port Richmond Avenue", so people wouldn't think I was using the S53's routing, or otherwise taking away the Bay Ridge-CSI link.

The exit from CSI leads directly onto the MLK. So it is a simple extension from CSI to Port Richmond (I got the idea from the buses that deadhead to the Castleton Depot. I figured "Why not do the run while keeping the bus in service?", and so I got this idea (my original idea was to extend the S93 via the MLK, Trantor Place, Innis Street, Nicholas Avenue, and Castleton Avenue to reach the Castleton Depot. Then, when I realized that the S59 would duplicate the HBLR extension, I decided to eliminate it and cover the portion on Port Richmond Avenue with the S57 and S93)

That's why I said "via Clove Road, Victory Blvd, MLK Expressway, and Port Richmond Avenue", so people wouldn't think I was using the S53's routing, or otherwise taking away the Bay Ridge-CSI link.

The exit from CSI leads directly onto the MLK. So it is a simple extension from CSI to Port Richmond (I got the idea from the buses that deadhead to the Castleton Depot. I figured "Why not do the run while keeping the bus in service?", and so I got this idea (my original idea was to extend the S93 via the MLK, Trantor Place, Innis Street, Nicholas Avenue, and Castleton Avenue to reach the Castleton Depot. Then, when I realized that the S59 would duplicate the HBLR extension, I decided to eliminate it and cover the portion on Port Richmond Avenue with the S57 and S93)

The trip time for the S93 to operate between Victory/Clove and Port Richmond would be longer than the S53 despite it being a limited version of the S53. Looking at the map I can't say your idea to send the S93 to Port Richmond via such a routing would work because the path is not as straight-forward as the S53 is. Even if the S93 is operating non-stop between the College and Port Richmond Avenue, I heavily doubt riders south of Victory and Clove would favor such a route over the S53.

Under my plan, the S93 would serve 3 markets:

1) The current market from Fort Hamilton to the College of Staten Island

2) A market from Victory Blvd up to Port Richmond (the thing that would attract people would be the fast trip on the MLK)

3) A market along Port Richmond Avenue from Forest Avenue to Richmond Terrace (where it would connect with the North Shore Rail Line)

The route would be similar to the S66-nobody rides the S66 from St George to Port Richmond when they can take the S40, S46, or S48 to their destinations much quicker.

The purpose of the extension would be to extend the S93 route to a place where it could be more useful and offer transfers to additional bus lines. One of the first ideas I came up with was to have the S93 extend westward along the SIE service road and go to the Teleport, offering a transfer to the Richmond Avenue buses along the way. Since I rerouted the S66 to serve the Teleport, the S93 is free to go to another destination, and so I reverted to my original idea of sending the S93 to Port Richmond (offering a transfer to customers heading westbound on the S48 in the process).

Perhaps the S66 and S93 can switch roles. The S66 could serve Port Richmond and the S93 can serve the Teleport. Maybe that would be better, as customers from Brooklyn would have access to the transit options at Richmond Avenue. The issue that I have with that, however, is that my goal was to provide a full-time service along the SIE service road, and the S93 would have to be expanded to run more hours for that plan to work.

But that was my point-that both the S59 and S89 would be eliminated.

The S89 would be entirely redundant with the HBLR extension.

The S59 customers would be served by:

The S57 and either the S66 or S93 on Port Richmond Avenue

The S44 along the northern portion of Richmond Avenue

The S79 along the southern portion of Richmond Avenue

The HBLR along most of Richmond Avenue (Forest Avenue-Amboy Road)

And possibly an S66 or S93 extension up Richmond Avenue, instead of the MLK.

See this post for the full list of routes: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=330864&postcount=228

I wasn't sure if this was a good idea or not, but I'll throw it out there:

Since the S76 is having its weekend service eliminated, what does everybody think of rerouting the S66 to go from Howard Avenue-Hillside Avenue-Vanderbilt Avenue to replace the S76? Although it would make the trip to the ferry longer (though passengers who want the direct ride would be able to take the S62), it would offer direct access between the East and West Shores (currently, riders have to go to Victory Blvd and transfer to their route to go westward).

I thought of this idea when I had to make some trips from Stapleton to the West Shore. Currently, I either walk or take the S51/S76 to Victory Blvd for the S62/S92 or S96 bus. If this proposal were added to my map, I would have pretty much a one-seat ride (I could walk from the College of Staten Island if it went up the MLK, or, if it went down Richmond Avenue and the SIE service road, it would be even closer).

This would be an alternative to a circuituous route up and down Bay Street Victory Blvd (especially for those in the Park Hill area).

Unlimited transfers would be offered, since there would be a lot of customers who would make additional transfers (though their service would stil be better).

I think that, between the rail system and bus system, most express routes could have their service eliminated or greatly reduced:

X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X7, X9: Riders can take the (S78)/(S79) (from Hylan Blvd) or the (S51)/(S52) (From Father Capodanno Blvd) to the commuter rail line

X10/X11: Riders can take the (S44)/new (S58)/new (S93) (for X10 customers on Richmond Avenue), or the (S62)/(S92) or new (S66) to the commuter rail line (for both X10/X11 customers).

X12/X42: Riders can take the North Shore Line to Brooklyn and transfer or take the (S40)/(S46) to the commuter rail line at Bloomfield (or maybe an additional station could be constructed at South Avenue/SIE)

X14: Riders can take the (S53) (for Clove Road customers), the (S57)/new (S93) (for Port Richmond Avenue customers), or the new (S42) (for Manor Road customers) to to the commuter rail line.

X15: Riders can take the SIR or take the (S74)/(S76) to the commuter rail line

X17/X19: New local routes would feed into the Arthur Kill Road commuter rail station.

X22: Riders can take the (S55) to the Arthur Kill Road commuter rail station.

X23/X24: New local routes would feed into the Arthur Kill Road commuter rail station.

As far as limited routes go, I've come up with the following routes to remain (they would run for most of the days on weekdays):

The (S92): Would run with articulated buses to handle the load of Victory Blvd customers that would come as a result of the (S61) and (S66) being movd off of Victory Blvd (it would run all day)

The (S93): Provides supplementary service along Victory Blvd and expands the network coverage.

The (S98): The North Shore Rail Line is too far from Forest Avenue, so this provides service to those communities.

Comments?

Now I thought of the idea to replace the X23/X24 (from my previous post):

X23:

-The (S56) would be realigned so that it runs straight down Woodrow Road to Arthur Kill Road to feed customers to the Eltingville Transit Center.

-There would be a branch of the (S74) down Hugenot Avenue from Arthur Kill Road to Hylan Blvd.

-A new route called the (S75) would be created from the Eltingville Transit Center to the Pleasant Plains (SIR) station via Drumgoogle Road and Bloomingdale Road. Rush hours, it would be extended to the Tottenville (SIR) station via Amboy Road and Johnson Avenue/Main Street. (Either that, or it could be an extension of the (S58) from the Eltingville Transit Center so that customers have a one-seat ride to connect with the commuter rail line, so it is as if they didn't lose the X17 service.

X24:

-There would be a branch of the (S78) from Hylan Blvd/Arden Avenue that would run straight down Arden Avenue toThe Arthur Kill Road station at Hugenot Avenue/Arthur Kill Road.

At this point, everybody can see that the main theme in my Staten Island Bus system is to have fairly frequent bus service (of course, it will all depend on how well-utlized the route is as to how frequent the service will run) feeding into the train system. The idea is to get rid of the bulk of the express system and reinvest the savings into providing better local service for all commuters.

These are all some great ideas, but you have to keep in mind that Staten Island is also very car-centric. Most of these new route proposals probably wouldn't see many riders.

For example, why take the (S54) off Manor Road? Bradley Avenue is much busier and when the (S54) got hit with service cuts, the residents of Todt Hill didn't even bother to make any kind of gesture to get service back like other boroughs. Why give them the S61/S92?

I agree that the (S93) should be extended to Richmond Ave, but that area is a gridlock zone during rush hours. For network coverage reasons though, the current S93 should become it's own route (i.e. renumber it to S63 or S67) rather than the limited for the (S53). The new (S93) should then run along the (S53) route to Port Richmond making limited stops.

I would say the most top priority thing I would like to see done is connect the S54 and S42. I live right near the northern terminal of the S54 and it's entirely useless. The S54 doesn't see any riders outside of school hours but if they were to extend it to St George, I'm sure it would be useful on both ends of the route.

The idea behind a lot of these proposals is that the new rail lines would encourage people to get rid of their cars and/or encourage new people to settle there who have no cars and depend on transit. (Also, since most/all express routes would be eliminated due to the commuter rail line on the SIE, the local routes would serve as feeders to the rail lines)

I'm not sure what you are saying about the (S54) being taken off of Manor Road. The idea is to combine it more with the (S57), so that many of the passengers have the choice of either the (S54) or (S57). The (S54)/(S57) would run together from Victory Blvd/Bradley Avenue to Rockland Avenue/Richmond Road, so that people transferring from other routes (the Victory Blvd routes and the (S74) on Richmond Road) would have a choice of either route, essentially cutting their waiting time in half.

The (S61) would be moved to Manor Road to service the surrounding areas (just because they didn't fight for the bus doesn't mean it isn't needed).

I'm not sure what you are saying about the (S93). If it duplicated the (S53), it wouldn't be expanding the network coverage (I don't know whether or not a limited-stop (S53) is warranted in West New Brighton). My idea was to extend it westward along the SIE service road to expand the coverage into the surrounding areas. If the traffic on Victory Blvd would make it that delay-prone, it can be run along the SIE for one exit (though I don't know how it will turn from the exit ramp onto Goethals Road North-go to google.com/maps and type in "Richmond Avenue at Goethals Road North" to see what I am talking about.)

As far as combining the (S42) and (S54), I think it is a good idea (as I recall, I originally came up with that idea). However, in the MTA's current state, I doubt that they can do that combination outside of rush hours, because there is a limit to how high the demand can go. The reason is that the (S42) loops all around the hills in New Brighton, which takes up a lot of time.

My calculations are as follows:

The (S44) takes 5 minutes from Henderson Avenue/Bement Avenue to Henderson Avenue/Lafayette Avenue at 5:00 am. The (S42) takes 13 minutes to get from Prospect Avenue/Lafayette Avenue to St. George. Now, add on an extra 2 minutes from Castleton Avenue/Broadway to Henderson Avenue/Bement Avenue, and an extra 1 minute from Henderson Avenue/Lafayette Avenue to Lafayette Avenue/Prospect Avenue.

This means that the trip from Castleton Avenue/Broadway to St. George on the extended (S54) would take about 21 minutes. By comparison, the (S46) takes 15 minutes. When the (S96) comes into play, the trip time is now 11 minutes vs. 21 minutes, and that 10 minute savings can definitely mean catching the ferry or missing it.

I'm not saying that it isn't useful, but that the ridership wouldn't drastically increase. People who live in the West Brighton/Livingston would take the more frequent routes ((S44)/(S94) and (S46)/(S96), depending on where they live), meaning that the only advantage is that it goes directly to St. George. Therefore, the only real people who would benefit are people going from the Westerleigh area (near Manor Road) to St. George, as almost other trips would be unchanged.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the (S54) being taken off of Manor Road. The idea is to combine it more with the (S57), so that many of the passengers have the choice of either the (S54) or (S57). The (S54)/(S57) would run together from Victory Blvd/Bradley Avenue to Rockland Avenue/Richmond Road, so that people transferring from other routes (the Victory Blvd routes and the (S74) on Richmond Road) would have a choice of either route, essentially cutting their waiting time in half.

The (S61) would be moved to Manor Road to service the surrounding areas (just because they didn't fight for the bus doesn't mean it isn't needed).

I'm saying that the current routing is fine. Bradley Avenue needs direct service to the ferry more than the Todt Hill area.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the (S93). If it duplicated the (S53), it wouldn't be expanding the network coverage (I don't know whether or not a limited-stop (S53) is warranted in West New Brighton). My idea was to extend it westward along the SIE service road to expand the coverage into the surrounding areas. If the traffic on Victory Blvd would make it that delay-prone, it can be run along the SIE for one exit (though I don't know how it will turn from the exit ramp onto Goethals Road North-go to google.com/maps and type in "Richmond Avenue at Goethals Road North" to see what I am talking about.)

The S93 should be renumbered to a S50 or S60 route and have it's service expanded to run all day except weekends. The S53 should then receive it's own limited route from Bay-Ridge to Port Richmond. There's many people that use the bus from West Brighton & Port Richmond all the way to Brooklyn and even with the fastest B/O, it's still a 40 minute ride. During rush hours, it's over an hour.

My calculations are as follows:

The (S44) takes 5 minutes from Henderson Avenue/Bement Avenue to Henderson Avenue/Lafayette Avenue at 5:00 am. The (S42) takes 13 minutes to get from Prospect Avenue/Lafayette Avenue to St. George. Now, add on an extra 2 minutes from Castleton Avenue/Broadway to Henderson Avenue/Bement Avenue, and an extra 1 minute from Henderson Avenue/Lafayette Avenue to Lafayette Avenue/Prospect Avenue.

This means that the trip from Castleton Avenue/Broadway to St. George on the extended (S54) would take about 21 minutes. By comparison, the (S46) takes 15 minutes. When the (S96) comes into play, the trip time is now 11 minutes vs. 21 minutes, and that 10 minute savings can definitely mean catching the ferry or missing it.

I'm not saying that it isn't useful, but that the ridership wouldn't drastically increase. People who live in the West Brighton/Livingston would take the more frequent routes ((S44)/(S94) and (S46)/(S96), depending on where they live), meaning that the only advantage is that it goes directly to St. George. Therefore, the only real people who would benefit are people going from the Westerleigh area (near Manor Road) to St. George, as almost other trips would be unchanged.

I can definitely tell you that those are the times that it should be on paper, but the S46 from Broadway & Castleton to the ferry can be up to 30-40 minutes sometimes, while the S44 takes about 20-25 at most. Also by the time the buses reach West Brighton, they're already packed from making that long trip from the SI Mall or West Shore Plaza, so it's normal to have packed and late buses flying by and then you have to wait the 12-15 minutes or so for the next bus. With the S54, we would have another bus that has seats and wouldn't take any longer than the S46 does already.

My logic was that the frequency of buses on Manor Road was 2 buses per hour and the frequency of buses on Bradley Avenue was 6 buses per hour, and Manor Road has the Todt Hill Houses.

As far as the (S53) limited goes, that would probably work, because, although a lot of the stops are heavily utilized, you see a lot more people boarding at the major stops on the route (Port Richmond Avenue/Castleton Avenue, Castleton Avenue/Broadway, Broadway/Forest Avenue, and Clove Road/Victory Blvd) than at smaller stops.

Just one thing: The (S93) should continue to make limited stops on Victory Blvd.

As far as the (S44) and (S46) go, I definitely see where you are coming from, as I live near both of those routes. I guess my problem is that I've ridden the (S46) many times, but I've never ridden the (S42). Maybe it is just me, but it definitely feels like the (S46) is still going fast even when it is overcrowded.

I'm definitely with you on the fact that it is a good idea to combine the (S42) and (S54), but I'm just questioning how many people would actually ride it. The reason being that, if (S46) riders really felt that it was that slow, you would see more people walking to Bement Avenue so they have the choice of the (S44) or (S46), or you would see more riders waiting on Cary Avenue (I definitely agree that the (S46) can be very delay-prone at certain times, especially at school dismissal times). My logic is that, if you can't get riders to switch to the (S44), which definitely is quicker,and 90% of the time is less crowded, you won't be able to convince a whole lot of riders to take the (S42).

By the way, here are my ideas for routes that can be implemented in the near future, assuming the MTA runs into some extra money (the rail lines wouldn’t have to be built)

S40/S90-Extended to Newark Airport

S42-Extended to SI Mall via Henderson Avenue, Manor Road, Forest Hill Road, and Travis Avenue (replaces S61). Off-peak, runs only from SI Mall to West New Brighton.

S44/S94-Current route

S46/S96-Extended to West Shore Expressway/Victory Blvd to connect with the S62/S92

S48/S98-Current route

S51/S81-Current route

S52-Extended across Seaview Avenue to Richmond Road

S53-Current route

S54-Rerouted to run from Great Kills to Port Richmond via Jewett Avenue instead of going to West New Brighton via Manor Road. Weekends, only operates from Seaview Hospital to Port Richmond.

S55-Extended to Perth Amboy

S56-Extended northward up Richmond Hill Road and Forest Hill Road to the back of the College of Staten Island.

S57-Extended to Cedar Grove Avenue/New Dorp Lane to supplement/replace the S76

S59/S89-Cut back to Richmond Avenue/Hylan Blvd all times. Late night service reimplemented on S59.

S61/S91-Replaced by extended S42, and S62/S92.

S62/S92-Runs with articulated buses and with more frequent service to replace S61/S91 service. S62/S92 limited-stop pattern expanded to 7 days per week.

S66-St George-South Avenue/Goethals Road North via Bay Street, Hillside Avenue, Howard Avenue, Little Clove Road/Milford Drive, North/South Gannon Avenue, and Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue. Runs 7-day per week service.

S74/S84-Current service

S76/S86-Current service

S78-Current service

S79-Current service

S93-Extended via the MLK Expressway, Innis Street, Nicholas Avenue, and Richmond Terrace to Port Richmond Bus Terminal.

New routes:

S73: Bayonne-Tottenville 7-days per week via the following route:

*WSE-West Shore Expressway

*MLK-Martin Luther King Jr. Expressway

SB (from 34th Street HBLR station): Route 440(MLK)-Morningstar Road-Richmond Avenue-Goethals Road North-South Avenue-Route 440(WSE)-Arden Avenue-Arthur Kill Road-Rossville Avene-Woodrow Road-Bloomingdale Road-Englewood Avenue-Veterans Road West-Arthur Kill Road-Main Street.

NB (from Tottenville): Amboy Road-Johnson Avenue-Arthur Kill Road-Veterans oad West-Englewood Avenue-Bloomingdale Road-Woodrow Road-Rossville Avenue-Arthur Kill Road-Arden Avenue-Route 440(WSE)-South Avenue-Fahy Avenue-Lamberts Lane-Richmond Avenue-Morningstar Road-Walker Street-Trantor Place-Route 440(MLK)-34th Street HBLR station.

The route would have some "cherry stems" (a phrase I got from one of the transportation blogs that refers to a point where a route diverges from the main route and then goes back on, like the S62 at the College of Staten Island, or the S74 at the Arthur Kill Correctional Facility). They would be at:

-The Teleport (possibly)

-The West Shore Plaza

-Exiting the WSE to stop at Victory Blvd and then remerging onto the WSE.

-The Bricktown Shopping Center

S45: St Vincent’s Hospital-SI Mall rush hours only (both directions) via the following route:

NB: Forest Hill Road-Independence Avenue-Richmond Avenue-Platinum Avenue-Ring Road-Richmond Avenue-Signs Road-Arlene Street-Lamberts Lane-Richmond Avenue-Deppe Place-Willowbrook Road-College Avenue-Manor Road-Martling Avenue-Clove Road-Bard Avenue

SB: Castleton Avenue-Davis Avenue-Forest Avenue-Bard Avenue-Clove Road-Martling Avenue-Manor Road-College Avenue-Willowbrook Road-Deppe Place-Richmond Avenue-Lamberts Lane-Arlene Street-Signs Road-Richmond Avenue-Ring Road-Platinum Avenue-Richmond Avenue-Yukon Avenue

Time to contribute:)

I made up bus routes which have the same number as routes made up by posters here. Like s73 & s75. I'm aware checkmatechamp13 made up SI bus routes with those same names. That's coincidence. Well, more than that. Its parallel thinking & convergent evolution.

Well here I go:

The s75-

LOCAL SI bus route which would operate between Sand Lane/Father Capodanno Blvd & Page Ave/Hylan Blvd via the SIE{I-278} & WSE{440}. It would get on/off EVERY entrance/exit along these highways & serve obvious locations & destinations at certain exits/entries like the Teleport, DMV Shopping Center,Hotels & so on & so forth.

The FULLTIME ROUTE would be between Hylan/Page & FrCap/Sand Ln. The PART-TIME ROUTE would between CSI & the Rossville Pathmark.

Regarding Page & Hylan, a bus turnaround terminal identical to the one at Richmond & Hylan should be built at Hylan & Page. Identical if not better. Either where the gas station used to be &/or right in front of the Little League stadium.

More to come.

MUCH more to come...

I agree. Great minds think alike. :tup:

As far as your idea goes, that would be pretty cool. As of now, it is pretty difficult to travel cross-island. Most of these communities have adequate bus service as far as coverage goes, but some trips can require a really circuitous trip.

:cool:

That highway local bus route could be based out of ALL 4 SI bus depots.

It serves Page Ave, Bricktown(e), CSI, Petrides, Fr Cap- as far as Sand Lane. And other places.

Bloomingdale Rd presents a conundrum which is why I decided to have some runs only going back & forth between the Rossville Pathmark & CSI-Victory Blvd. These part-time trips would still make all the regular stops in between.

Slosson Ave may also present a conundrum being a bus would have to maneuver & turn around somewhere not too far off the exit to get back on the SIE.

I know what this bus should do if/when 440 &/or I-278 are backed-up or clogged. Get back to that another time,

Of course if anyone wants to stretch this route in one or both directions, feel free. Like into Bkln, to the Ferry, over to NJ entc ent al.

A lot of the exits are problematic as far as getting on and off. For example, in my neighborhood, the Richmond Avenue exit going westbound directly onto Richmond Avenue southbound, and has a second fork going to Richmond Avenue northbound. The problem is that there is no way of getting onto the service road (Goethals Road North) without making a 180 degree turn.

Unfortunately, it is a choice between serving local streets (which defeats the purpose of the route-to run on the SIE and WSE) vs. leaving it on the expressway, which would limit the ridership prospects.

In my plan for the SI bus system (If you or anybody else wants it, you guys can send a private message to me), I was basing it around a new rail system that would involve the North Shore/West Shore Rail Line, an HBLR extension down Richmond Avenue, and a commuter rail line in the median of the SIE. That would definitely help with cross-island travel, without the problems of a bus line (getting on and off of the exits)

One idea is to build some sort of BRT corridor down the SIE, using the express bus lane for the line (the lane would have to be extended further west), with platforms similar to a light rail line.

I don't know what the cost would be of using the bus lane vs. building a whole new rail line in the median of the SIE. Also, as I understand it, the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge wasn't designed to carry rail traffic, meaning that there would have to be a tunnel built, instead of building it onto the bridge-s structure. Therefore, the only choice might be BRT or nothing.

A lot of the exits are problematic as far as getting on and off. For example, in my neighborhood, the Richmond Avenue exit going westbound directly onto Richmond Avenue southbound, and has a second fork going to Richmond Avenue northbound. The problem is that there is no way of getting onto the service road (Goethals Road North) without making a 180 degree turn.

Unfortunately, it is a choice between serving local streets (which defeats the purpose of the route-to run on the SIE and WSE) vs. leaving it on the expressway, which would limit the ridership prospects.

In my plan for the SI bus system(If you or anybody else wants it, you guys can send a private message to me), I was basing it around a new rail system that would involve the North Shore/West Shore Rail Line, an HBLR extension down Richmond Avenue, and a commuter rail line in the median of the SIE. That would definitely help with cross-island travel, without the problems of a bus line (getting on and off of the exits)

One idea is to build some sort of BRT corridor down the SIE, using the express bus lane for the line (the lane would have to be extended further west), with platforms similar to a light rail line.

I don't know what the cost would be of using the bus lane vs. building a whole new rail line in the median of the SIE. Also, as I understand it, the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge wasn't designed to carry rail traffic, meaning that there would have to be a tunnel built, instead of building it onto the bridge-s structure. Therefore, the only choice might be BRT or nothing.

I didn't realize, forgot, Richmond Avenue's another quandarous highway exit/entrance. I rarely deal with that exit/entrance.

Re: BRT Lightrail style platform stops-

When thinking of bus routes that would run on highways I thought of train station like platform stops at under & overpasses not unlike the BRT platform stops you mention above. I figured they would save the bus having to get on/off the highway. Especially at quagmire exits/entrances like Slosson, Richmond Ave & Bloomingdale Rd (the worst of the 3).

IE: I pictured a platform stop with stairs/ramps leading up to the street under the Annadale Rd overpass on the KWVM Pkwy for a highway bus route {or trolley line} there. And a similar set up on the Slosson Ave overpass.

Actually, maybe(?), trolley lines would work on the WSE, SIE, KWVM Pkwy & Dr. MLK Expwy. The VNB can't handle trains but perhaps it could handle trolleys(?).

The s73 I had made up would operate between the bottom of Ellis St in Tottenville, next to where the Tottenville Inn had been, & Amundsen Circle in Oakwood.

It covered Ellis St, Arthur Kill Rd, Bloomingdale Rd up to Woodrow Rd, then the whole length of Woodrow Rd, back to Arthur Kill, and NOW the Eltingville Transit Center too:), then Arthur Kill Rd to Clarke Ave, terminating at Amundsen Circle. Tottenville bound same just reversed.

I thought I had it covering roads & streets paralleling & near Arthur Kill(?) but I'm probably thinking of another route I'd made up.

It would probably be a good idea for this route to cover some portion of Annadale Rd too. Maybe as far as the Drumgooles en route to/from the ETC(?).

Woodrow Rd's a decent sized street currently only served, in certain sections, by the 56, 74, (84) & x23. And x24 too I think(?).

Way back when, when I made up alot of the bus routes {& other mass transit/transportation ideas} I've talked about, & will talk about, certain places didn't exist &/or were in a different location. There was no Bricktown(e). The Travis UA was still alive. (Though there are 3 hotels opening there now:) One open already.) Among other differences. IIRC(?), the ETC hadn't opened yet, or had just opened(?).

We're talking 6 & a half+ years ago & more.

There was no (s89) LTD. The (89)'s great but, back before the (89), I'd hoped the 53, 57, 59, 66 & the now deceased (67), would be extended into Bayonne. Ideally, all of them, but just 2 would've made me happy. The 53 would've been an interesting one to extend into Bayonne. Connect Brooklyn with New Jersey:) As would the 57 or 66. 66 moreso as it would connect the SI Ferry with NJ:cool:

I made up an SI/Bayonne local bus, I named the s50. Actually the second s50 I'd made up. I'll talk about that in a future post.

I assigned the 73 to the 3rd Depot. The then anticipated 3rd Depot. Though now CBA will really be SI's 4th Depot.

More to come:)

To be continued...

Archived