Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

Two other ideas I have:

1. Adding midday service to the S89, operating every hour. Also, some S89 service during the rush hour should begin or end at the Eltingville Transit Center.

2. A new route from downtown Perth Amboy to Staten Island Mall, operating weekdays and Saturdays...possibly as an extension of the S55 or via Drumgoole Road. In New Jersey, the route would operate via Amboy Avenue and terminate at the railroad station.

:tup:

Both of these would be awesome.

:cool:

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why I suggested an express bus route be sent there instead of a local. That way, residents won't complain about what they see as lower class of people coming into thei neighborhood. Also, I can see by how inefficient the S54 is that a local route in that area wouldn't get much usage, especially in the least densely populated and richest part of Todt Hill.

How about an express bus from the Staten Island Mall or Eltingville Transit Center to Newark Penn Station, serving the Elizabeth Rail station and Newark Airport? During rush hours, some runs could operate directly to each of the 3 destinations. This would probably be much mor efficient than the other express routes because of the shorter distance.

By the way, if the S40 was to be extended to NJ, itwuld probably get a lot more ridership in Mariners' Harbor. Currently, it is dead west of South Avenue.

Good points.

Its true the Hill people would probably be more open to express than local buses.

I like the Newark Airport (& area) express bus ideas.

40s going to/from NJ would also pick up alot of transfers from other routes.

Good points.

Its true the Hill people would probably be more open to express than local buses.

I like the Newark Airport (& area) express bus ideas.

40s going to/from NJ would also pick up alot of transfers from other routes.

The problem with that section of Goethals Road North is that there is no entrance to the Staten Island Expressway after Forest Avenue, meaning that there would be no service to the Goethals Homes trailer park if the S40 were to be sent to Elizabeth. Of course, it is a 3-5 minute walk to Forest Avenue for the S40 if they are going towards the ferry so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

According to Google Transit, it is a 9-10 minute trip from Goethals Road North/Forest Avenue to the Elizabeth Rail station.

According to my calculations the average cost of running a bus is $70 per hour, counting maintainance and fuel (I know those costs seem high, but I'm positive about my calculations). An extension of 10 minutes would be about $10-$15 at that rate, meaning that an additional 5-8 paying customers on each bus would make the MTA break even on this extension.

I could picture a lot of people on the West Shore taking this new service, seeing that it is more economical than taking the Goethals Bridge (a $2.25 fare vs. an $8 toll, plus the cost of parking and gas). That, and the fact that there have been new hotels opening up on Staten Island who might be trying to save money might attract some riders bound for New Jersey.

An extension to Newark Airport takes about 13-14 minutes, meaning that at $70 per hour, that is about $18 per bus in additional costs (meaning about 9-10 additional riders would have to be on the bus to break even)

An extension to Newark Penn Station would take about 16-20 minutes, meaning that an additional 10-11 passengers would have to be on the bus to break even.

The thing is that, on a lot of routes, government agencies (not just the MTA, but the Port Authority as well) decides to go directly to a BRT/light rail/heavy rail line without trying out simple bus service. For example, the MTA plans to start SBS service on the S79 without implementing limited-stop service first. There are also plans to put a West Shore Light Rail Line down the West Shore Expressway without trying a West Shore Bus Line (I suggested an S46 extension, though it would be pretty long). Finally, the Goethals Bridge has plans for a light rail/BRT lane, when there is no bus to NJ across the bridge now (besides express buses on their way to Manhattan)

Now that I do these calculations, I'm torn between what would be better to serve New Jersey-an extension of the S40 or a separate express bus. I question whether there is the demand for service to all 3 points and which point would be the most cost-effective.

Elizabeth:

-Shortest distance

-Provides access to Downtown Elizabeth

-Provides easy access for Staten Island residents needing to go towards points to the south.

-Buses could pick up additional passengers along Bayway Avenue/South Broad Street.

Newark Airport:

-Allows passengers to get to the airport (so there is more potential for tourists to use this bus)

-Provides connections to some NJ Transit routes

Newark Penn Station:

-Provides the most connections to NJ Transit bus routes.

-Buses could pick up passengers on McCarter Highway

Of course, there is the possibility that buses could go to all 3 destinations, but the problem is that that would lengthen the trip time and possibly discourage ridership. Google Transit says that going to Newark Penn Station via the Elizabeth Rail station and Newark Airport would be about 28 minutes, not including bus stops.

From A to B: 10 mins

From B to C: 7 mins

From C to D: 14 mins

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Newark+Penn+Station,+Newark,+NJ&daddr=NEWARK+airport,+Newark,+NJ+to:Elizabeth,+NJ+to:forest+avenue+%26+staten+island+expressway,+richmond,+ny&hl=en&geocode=FQ-ObQIdulaU-ymtpqp7hFPCiTEE7iOP-yr15Q%3BFc7gbAIdXiGU-ykZtng79lLCiTFPET4wZ-Usqw%3BFbh7bAIdc6KT-ykdBULuX03CiTGtA2tSG1mFMg%3BFQnkawIdhZSU-ylNOYIKtk3CiTEnLjGlDlyjUg&mra=ltm&sll=40.679857,-74.109306&sspn=0.151792,0.220757&ie=UTF8&ll=40.679857,-74.11068&spn=0.10922,0.07291&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Newark+Penn+Station,+Newark,+NJ&daddr=NEWARK+airport,+Newark,+NJ+to:Elizabeth,+NJ+to:forest+avenue+%26+staten+island+expressway,+richmond,+ny&hl=en&geocode=FQ-ObQIdulaU-ymtpqp7hFPCiTEE7iOP-yr15Q%3BFc7gbAIdXiGU-ykZtng79lLCiTFPET4wZ-Usqw%3BFbh7bAIdc6KT-ykdBULuX03CiTGtA2tSG1mFMg%3BFQnkawIdhZSU-ylNOYIKtk3CiTEnLjGlDlyjUg&mra=ltm&sll=40.679857,-74.109306&sspn=0.151792,0.220757&ie=UTF8&ll=40.679857,-74.11068&spn=0.10922,0.07291" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

According to the map, it takes 32 minutes to drive from Newark Penn to EWR to Elizabeth to Forest Av/Richmond Av. Now, as per your advantage-analysis:

Elizabeth:

-Shortest distance

-Provides access to Downtown Elizabeth

-Provides easy access for Staten Island residents needing to go towards points to the south.

-Buses could pick up additional passengers along Bayway Avenue/South Broad Street.

Agreed, Elizabeth service would be useful. A stop at Elizabeth IKEA could be included.

Newark Airport:

-Allows passengers to get to the airport (so there is more potential for tourists to use this bus)

-Provides connections to some NJ Transit routes

Agreed. The airport is an important connection, and SI residents might even start using EWR over JFK/LGA due to the ease of commuting.

Newark Penn Station:

-Provides the most connections to NJ Transit bus routes.

-Buses could pick up passengers on McCarter Highway

I have to disagree here...do Staten Island residents really need NJ Transit routes so much as to warrant a 10-minute ($12-per-bus) extension from EWR to Newark Penn? Also, terminating at the airport would allow passengers with luggage to board an empty bus, not a crowded one.

From A to B: 10 mins

From B to C: 7 mins

From C to D: 14 mins

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Newark+Penn+Station,+Newark,+NJ&daddr=NEWARK+airport,+Newark,+NJ+to:Elizabeth,+NJ+to:forest+avenue+%26+staten+island+expressway,+richmond,+ny&hl=en&geocode=FQ-ObQIdulaU-ymtpqp7hFPCiTEE7iOP-yr15Q%3BFc7gbAIdXiGU-ykZtng79lLCiTFPET4wZ-Usqw%3BFbh7bAIdc6KT-ykdBULuX03CiTGtA2tSG1mFMg%3BFQnkawIdhZSU-ylNOYIKtk3CiTEnLjGlDlyjUg&mra=ltm&sll=40.679857,-74.109306&sspn=0.151792,0.220757&ie=UTF8&ll=40.679857,-74.11068&spn=0.10922,0.07291&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Newark+Penn+Station,+Newark,+NJ&daddr=NEWARK+airport,+Newark,+NJ+to:Elizabeth,+NJ+to:forest+avenue+%26+staten+island+expressway,+richmond,+ny&hl=en&geocode=FQ-ObQIdulaU-ymtpqp7hFPCiTEE7iOP-yr15Q%3BFc7gbAIdXiGU-ykZtng79lLCiTFPET4wZ-Usqw%3BFbh7bAIdc6KT-ykdBULuX03CiTGtA2tSG1mFMg%3BFQnkawIdhZSU-ylNOYIKtk3CiTEnLjGlDlyjUg&mra=ltm&sll=40.679857,-74.109306&sspn=0.151792,0.220757&ie=UTF8&ll=40.679857,-74.11068&spn=0.10922,0.07291" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

According to the map, it takes 32 minutes to drive from Newark Penn to EWR to Elizabeth to Forest Av/Richmond Av. Now, as per your advantage-analysis:

Agreed, Elizabeth service would be useful. A stop at Elizabeth IKEA could be included.

Agreed. The airport is an important connection, and SI residents might even start using EWR over JFK/LGA due to the ease of commuting.

I have to disagree here...do Staten Island residents really need NJ Transit routes so much as to warrant a 10-minute ($12-per-bus) extension from EWR to Newark Penn? Also, terminating at the airport would allow passengers with luggage to board an empty bus, not a crowded one.

My calcuations were from Forest Avenue/Goethals Road North, as this would be an extension of the S40, not the S48.

My logic of extending the bus to Newark Penn Station is that, to my knowledge, there is no bus along Route 21 (I checked on GoogleMaps and didn't see any us stops). I guess your logic also is that riders coming from Newark Penn Station can take the #62 bus to connect with the S40.

My calcuations were from Forest Avenue/Goethals Road North, as this would be an extension of the S40, not the S48.

I typed in Forest Av/SI Expwy and it gave me Forest Av/Richmond Av, so I just ignored the difference. It's only a few minutes anyway.

My logic of extending the bus to Newark Penn Station is that, to my knowledge, there is no bus along Route 21 (I checked on GoogleMaps and didn't see any us stops). I guess your logic also is that riders coming from Newark Penn Station can take the #62 bus to connect with the S40.

Yes, it is possible to use the #62 to the S40 if needed.

Also, since the S40 would go to EWR, it would need luggage racks, would it not? Or maybe MCIs, with the luggage compartments ACTUALLY USED for once.:eek::tup:

I typed in Forest Av/SI Expwy and it gave me Forest Av/Richmond Av, so I just ignored the difference. It's only a few minutes anyway.

Yes, it is possible to use the #62 to the S40 if needed.

Also, since the S40 would go to EWR, it would need luggage racks, would it not? Or maybe MCIs, with the luggage compartments ACTUALLY USED for once.:eek::tup:

Two questions:

Do the buses that serve JFK and LaGuardia have luggage racks?

Can an MCI be programmed to charge a local bus fare instead of an express bus fare?

The problem with the S40 is that there really isn't a place like a park-and-ride fo people to drop off friends and relatives to take the bus. A route like the S40 is almost entirely dependent on local ridership in the neighborhood (meaning it really wouldn't get a lot of New Jersey-bound ridership until it gets to Mariners' Harbor/Arlington).

Maybe there is space on Forest Avenue for a park-and-ride lot. There isn't anything west of South Avenue besides a movie theater and a Home Depot.

Maybe there could be the S40 extension to the Elizabeth station, serving South Broad Street, and an express bus down Richmond Avenue serving Newark Airport.

Two questions:

Do the buses that serve JFK and LaGuardia have luggage racks?

Can an MCI be programmed to charge a local bus fare instead of an express bus fare?

1. There was some sort of pilot program with the luggage racks, IDK how it went though.

2. You'd have to ask a B/O, I have no clue. Probably yes, though.:confused:

The problem with the S40 is that there really isn't a place like a park-and-ride fo people to drop off friends and relatives to take the bus. A route like the S40 is almost entirely dependent on local ridership in the neighborhood (meaning it really wouldn't get a lot of New Jersey-bound ridership until it gets to Mariners' Harbor/Arlington).

Maybe there is space on Forest Avenue for a park-and-ride lot. There isn't anything west of South Avenue besides a movie theater and a Home Depot.

This place west of South Av looks empty (well, except for the railroad).

[GMAPS]<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=40.633393,-74.166281&panoid=N5Y2dBMZmT9jn80hwpJlpA&cbp=12,245.91,,0,8.78&ll=40.63317,-74.166298&spn=0,0.048237&z=14&source=embed&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=40.633393,-74.166281&panoid=N5Y2dBMZmT9jn80hwpJlpA&cbp=12,245.91,,0,8.78&ll=40.63317,-74.166298&spn=0,0.048237&z=14&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

Maybe there could be the S40 extension to the Elizabeth station, serving South Broad Street, and an express bus down Richmond Avenue serving Newark Airport.

Possible, although IMO two buses is too many.

1. There was some sort of pilot program with the luggage racks, IDK how it went though.

2. You'd have to ask a B/O, I have no clue. Probably yes, though.:confused:

This place west of South Av looks empty (well, except for the railroad).

Possible, although IMO two buses is too many.

Try typing in South Avenue at Forest Avenue and going west on Forest Avenue (you should be able to see the old location of Western Beef at that intersection). There is a lot of wetlands and woods there, but that might be protected parkland that can't be built on.

Part of the reason that I suggested a second route was because the S89 to Bayonne runs cross-island, so it serves customers from the North Shore and South Shore. The S40 only serves customers from the North Shore. But I guess it is a different story with each corridor. The S89 physically couldn't be an extension of another route, so it had to be its own route because it wouldn't get the passenger base otherwise (a higher percentage of South Shore residents work in Bayonne vs. North Shore residents. Also, South Shore residents are more car-oriented, so a one seat ride means more to them). I don't know what is the story with South Shore-Newark customers, but I'm assuming you would have to attract them by putting the bus in a location easily accessable by car (which is why I strongly recommended a park-and-ride. Whether or not it would be necessary for it to be on the South Shore is what is the question. Afte all, once they get into Mariners' Harbor, they might just want to go over the Goethals Bridge.).

For example, I live near the Staten Island Expressway on the West Shore and would probably use this service if it ran. However, in order for my family to use it, we would have to drive to it, since I doubt anybody can convince my family to carry luggage one mile to get to the bus. I would imagine riders from the South Shore would want to be able to get off the West Shore Expressway, be dropped off, and have their friend/relative return home. Even regular workers at Newark Airport would probably not want the hassle of transferring.

Try typing in South Avenue at Forest Avenue and going west on Forest Avenue (you should be able to see the old location of Western Beef at that intersection). There is a lot of wetlands and woods there, but that might be protected parkland that can't be built on.

Part of the reason that I suggested a second route was because the S89 to Bayonne runs cross-island, so it serves customers from the North Shore and South Shore. The S40 only serves customers from the North Shore. But I guess it is a different story with each corridor. The S89 physically couldn't be an extension of another route, so it had to be its own route because it wouldn't get the passenger base otherwise (a higher percentage of South Shore residents work in Bayonne vs. North Shore residents. Also, South Shore residents are more car-oriented, so a one seat ride means more to them). I don't know what is the story with South Shore-Newark customers, but I'm assuming you would have to attract them by putting the bus in a location easily accessable by car (which is why I strongly recommended a park-and-ride. Whether or not it would be necessary for it to be on the South Shore is what is the question. Afte all, once they get into Mariners' Harbor, they might just want to go over the Goethals Bridge.).

For example, I live near the Staten Island Expressway on the West Shore and would probably use this service if it ran. However, in order for my family to use it, we would have to drive to it, since I doubt anybody can convince my family to carry luggage one mile to get to the bus. I would imagine riders from the South Shore would want to be able to get off the West Shore Expressway, be dropped off, and have their friend/relative return home. Even regular workers at Newark Airport would probably not want the hassle of transferring.

Although I'm not the one to determine exact locations...IMO there should be a Park & Ride every 2-3 miles along the West Shore Expwy. Then the route could turn a bit northeast and end at the SI Mall, which is next to the Eltingville Transit Center (which has a park and ride IINM).

believe you mean southeast, ot northeast.

There are 2 alignments I was thinking of for the express route:

1) Using the West Shore Expressway, as you said. It would take the West Shore Expressway to Arthur Kill Road to Richmond Avenue to end at the Staten Island Mall. It would have stops at West Shore Expressway/Victory Blvd (there are some new hotels in that area), Arthur Kill Road/Hugenot Avenue, the Eltingville Transit Center, and Staten Island Mall. I believe there is a park-and-ride at Arthur Kill Road/Hugenot Avenue.

2) Using Richmond Avenue. This would start at the Eltingville Transit Center and make all X17J stops up Richmond Avenue and over the Goethals Bridge.

IMO, the Richmond Avenue alignment would get more ridership. The Eltingville Transit Center is right off the Richmond Parkway, and Richmond Avenue would be able to get some ridership from people living in the nearby neighborhoods.

believe you mean southeast, ot northeast.

There are 2 alignments I was thinking of for the express route:

1) Using the West Shore Expressway, as you said. It would take the West Shore Expressway to Arthur Kill Road to Richmond Avenue to end at the Staten Island Mall. It would have stops at West Shore Expressway/Victory Blvd (there are some new hotels in that area), Arthur Kill Road/Hugenot Avenue, the Eltingville Transit Center, and Staten Island Mall. I believe there is a park-and-ride at Arthur Kill Road/Hugenot Avenue.

2) Using Richmond Avenue. This would start at the Eltingville Transit Center and make all X17J stops up Richmond Avenue and over the Goethals Bridge.

IMO, the Richmond Avenue alignment would get more ridership. The Eltingville Transit Center is right off the Richmond Parkway, and Richmond Avenue would be able to get some ridership from people living in the nearby neighborhoods.

I was thinking of alignment #1, but looking at the map I see it'll get very low ridership.

My NEW idea:

Southbound:

Goethals Bridge to SI Expwy

SI Expwy to Richmond Av

Richmond Av to Amboy Rd (via SI Mall and E. T. C. (Park&Ride)).

Amboy Rd. to either Great Kills or Annadale SIR stations, for the Park-and-rides.

On the M60 earlier this month, the bus did have luggage racks, and they were being used by people. However, the number of seats it removes is a bit too much. Maybe halving its size would be a good idea.

As far as I know, no other airport routes ever had luggage racks.

On the M60 earlier this month, the bus did have luggage racks, and they were being used by people. However, the number of seats it removes is a bit too much. Maybe halving its size would be a good idea.

Some airport routes should use MCIs, with the Greyhound-style luggage space under the floor...:tup:

I have a question:

If the MTA said that they would appove the S40 extension, but they needed to cut some local service elsewhere, how would this work?:

Send the S61 up Manor Road (from my plan to reroute it to Manor Road) to replace the northern section of the S54.

Send the S54 up Jewett Avenue (from the same plan to switchthe S61 and S54 in Castleton Corners)

Send the S66 down Little Clove Road to terminate at Renwick Avenue.

What does everybody think of that idea? Would the S62 become too crowded? Is it worth it to get the S40 extended to NJ?

I was thinking of alignment #1, but looking at the map I see it'll get very low ridership.

My NEW idea:

Southbound:

Goethals Bridge to SI Expwy

SI Expwy to Richmond Av

Richmond Av to Amboy Rd (via SI Mall and E. T. C. (Park&Ride)).

Amboy Rd. to either Great Kills or Annadale SIR stations, for the Park-and-rides.

I'm not sure if it is worth it to extend it past the Eltingville Transit Center. I'm sure a lot of people on the South Shore are used to driving to the Eltingville Transit Center to pick up express buses. The Eltingville Transit Center is right off the Richmond Parkway, so people from places on the Far South Shore (Tottenville, Pleasant Plains, Charleston, Princes' Bay, etc) would probably rather drive on the Richmond Parkway as opposed to local roads. Also, part of the costs to consider are the costs of deadheading the buses back to the Yukon Depot.

Its a shame buses aren't allowed on the Richmond Parkway. If they were, they could run to the Pleasant Plains Park-and-Ride at the base of the West Shore Expressway, to attract more ridership from the Far South Shore. Buses woul have less than a 5 minute deadhead to the Charleston Depot.

It's 19 or 20 buses with them (if 3881 has them) in the 3880s and 3890s. Aren't those buses 2 x 2 seating in the front to make up for lost seats, having 37 seats each?

Two other ideas I have:

1. Adding midday service to the S89, operating every hour. Also, some S89 service during the rush hour should begin or end at the Eltingville Transit Center.

2. A new route from downtown Perth Amboy to Staten Island Mall, operating weekdays and Saturdays...possibly as an extension of the S55 or via Drumgoole Road. In New Jersey, the route would operate via Amboy Avenue and terminate at the railroad station.

Such would come at the cost of some of the lower-used express bus routes elsewhere in the city.

As for the ideas that I mentioned, along with the S89, to me, these routes should be issued as a single contract.

The buses that would short-turn at Eltingville, would they be additional buses or buses that are cut back from Hylan Blvd? If those are additional buses, I don't really see a need for additional buses on the S89 during rush hour-15 minutes is frequent enough.

If those are buses that are cut back from Hylan Blvd, then it would make sense to reinvest the savings into midday S89 service.

If the S55 were to be extended, that would also provide service to the Target on the South Shore, which is what a lot of people have been asking for, since a 5-10 minute walk is a lot when you are carrying bags. This might actually get people from New Jersey to come to Staten Island for shopping, instead of the other way around.

The route is at http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&dirflg=r&hl=en&saddr=Richmond+Avenue+at+Arthur+Kill+Road&daddr=Perth+Amboy+Rail+station&ttype=dep&date=8%2F23%2F10&time=9%3A01pm

The problem is that extending the S55 to Perth Amboy would cost about $20-$25 per bus each way, and I don't know if there is enough ridership to warrant an extension.

I don't know if there's even a purpose to extending a city bus out to perth amboy (regardless if they cleaned up the town... cause I can almost guarantee no one would even have mentioned such a proposal, say, 20 odd yrs ago... when it was an absolute dump out there...)... not sure what's in perth amboy now to want to make the S55 an interstate route... but anyway....

I'd rather keep the S55 serving the correctional facility; and I absolutely hated when the MTA pulled that stunt....

...and that link you posted up isn't displaying a route.

Wasn't the original idea for the 55 to go to/from Bricktowne* Center? I remember reading that in the Advance before the 55's actual extension, to/from Oz, was executed 3 Septembers ago.

TPTB should at least extend the 55, again, to/from Bricktowne*.

Speaking of Bricktowne*, TPTB really ought to run the 74 into, through Bricktowne*.

*Or is it spelled Bricktown? Where Target & Home Depot are by the Outerbridge.

@B35: The thing is that a lot of people on the South Shore own cars, so I agree that I don't know if it was a good idea to send the S55 to Arthur Kill Correctional Facility. I don't know if that 15% increase in ridership was due to the extension or not. Unfortunately, with low ridership numbers to start with, that 15% increase was only about 260 people, and I don't know if all of those people went to the S55 (not to mention headways were reduced to 30 minutes down from 40 minutes on both the S55/S56, so that could be a big factor as well).

The only hope for the S55/S56 in their current form is if the people on the South Shore lose their second car (there are more 2-car families than 1-car families in that area, and very few 0-car families)

@Santa Fe via Willow: The S74 definitely could use the ridership boost in that area. As far as the S55, I don't think there is enough ridersip to be split between the S55 and S74.

I wonder if there is enough demand for travel to/from the Jersey Shore. The MTA could advertise that the S55 connects with the North Jersey Coast Line that goes to beaches along the northern part of the Jersey Shore (Point Pleasant Beach, Belmar, etc). The problem is that there might be enough demand for seasonal travel, but not enough during the rest of the year.

By the way, what does everybody think of my plan to restructure the Victory Blvd buses to send buses to NJ (the S40 to Elizabeth/Newark and the S55 to Perth Amboy)

I wonder if there is enough demand for travel to/from the Jersey Shore. The MTA could advertise that the S55 connects with the North Jersey Coast Line that goes to beaches along the northern part of the Jersey Shore (Point Pleasant Beach, Belmar, etc). The problem is that there might be enough demand for seasonal travel, but not enough during the rest of the year.

In that case, it could be a seasonal service, like the Bx5 and Bx12 going to Orchard Beach during summers only.

I don't know if there's even a purpose to extending a city bus out to perth amboy (regardless if they cleaned up the town... cause I can almost guarantee no one would even have mentioned such a proposal, say, 20 odd yrs ago... when it was an absolute dump out there...)... not sure what's in perth amboy now to want to make the S55 an interstate route... but anyway....

I'd rather keep the S55 serving the correctional facility; and I absolutely hated when the MTA pulled that stunt....

...and that link you posted up isn't displaying a route.

Try this link: http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&dirflg=r&hl=en&saddr=Arthur+Kill+Correctional+Facility&daddr=Perth+Amboy+%28United+States%29&ttype=dep&date=8%2F25%2F10&time=1%3A54am

Click on the car icon.

@Santa Fe via Willow:

The S74 definitely could use the ridership boost in that area. As far as the S55, I don't think there is enough ridersip to be split between the S55 and S74.

By the way, what does everybody think of my plan to restructure the Victory Blvd buses to send buses to NJ (the S40 to Elizabeth/Newark and the S55 to Perth Amboy)

Good points:tup:

Re: your ideas for the 40 & 55: :cool:

I have not read this entire thread, but has anyone suggested extending a local route across the Goethals to Elizabeth, and another acorss the Outerbridge to South Amboy NJT stations? To go by public transit from say Tottenville to Perth Amboy, almost waking distance, (which you cannot do on Outerbridge) would take an unbelievably long and convoluted time.

I think there was a ferry connection way back (untill bridge opened in early '30's?).

Archived