Railfanning trip gone bad??

gregorygrice

Today while taking pictures at GCT I was stopped by two MTA Police officers. They told me that I was not allowed to take pictures on the platform but when I emailed an MTA official he told me that the rules that that photography is permitted in all public areas of GCT and all other stations. This really pissed me off and ruined my railfanning trip but next time I guess I will have a signed document from the MTA. But I still have some great pics for you guys! Il upload them in a few.

That sucks, thank your buddy Osama bin ladin.

Yeah and he's still at large...

GCT is iffy. Last time I went there I had an issue.

Yeah I'm gonna get a signed paper for next time.

You would expect the NYC and (MTA) Police to know their rules on photography but some of them just don't know.

Yeah I know man...

I think they do know, but they err on the side of paranoia. They're so afraid of "suspicious activity" that their radar becomes sensitive. Plus, they also probably want to feel like a hero... everyone wants to be the police officer that stopped a terrorist in his tracks.

A pity the "terrorist" is just a hobbyist, though.

From what I was informed, photography in the station is permitted. Now photography on the platforms is where it's iffy. While on the MTA website says photography is legal, that is usually in regard to NYC Transit not MNRR or LIRR.

No one has ever even looked at me funny at GCT, i've wandered around for 3 hours once there. Now at NYP it's different, though there were some employees trying (poorly) to keep an inconspicuous eye on me.

Just go to the lower level next time, no one ever goes down there unless going to/from a train. Also, ask to see supervising officer/superior.

I've talked to enough (NJT) & amtk people at nyp that they know who i am or at least remember me, same for hoboken terminal. Might sound funny but maybe try talking to information agent or such before shooting photos on the platforms, because they will then know you are there and not an immediate concern.

- A

I think they do know, but they err on the side of paranoia. They're so afraid of "suspicious activity" that their radar becomes sensitive. Plus, they also probably want to feel like a hero... everyone wants to be the police officer that stopped a terrorist in his tracks.

I totally agree with you on that one:tup:

Most of Manhattan's stations are hotspots if you're looking to catch some heat from the cops, you'd be better off getting pictures in the less busier places.

You should be fine anywhere, regardless of borough. Only place where it might get iffy are the stations right before a river crossing tunnel, IE: Whitehall Street - Court Street stations.

With GCT being such a large station, there's so much of a perimeter to control that MTA police officers, or NYPD officers, will stop you for anything.

You should be fine anywhere, regardless of borough. Only place where it might get iffy are the stations right before a river crossing tunnel, IE: Whitehall Street - Court Street stations.

Yep.

LOL

Regarding photography, how do people take videos of Amtrak trains departing NYP? As far as I know, you need a valid Amtrak ticket for the train boarding on that platform in order to get down to track level if an Amtrak train is sitting there.

Unless they bought a ticket and wasted it...

Is it better to railfan in groups, or would that increase your chances of being stopped by police due to "suspicious activity"? There are a few times in any given month where I meet up with my friends to railfan, and the most I've ever railfanned with is a group of five (myself included), the least would be one person with me.

Is it better to railfan in groups, or would that increase your chances of being stopped by police due to "suspicious activity"? There are a few times in any given month where I meet up with my friends to railfan, and the most I've ever railfanned with is a group of five (myself included), the least would be one person with me.

That's a good question!

That's because I'm not around. :)

Well that last time we were up and down Eighth Ave we didn't run into any issues either. :P

I think it has more to do with being in "hotspots" than anything else. I was in Union Square (IRT platforms) with a friend on the mezzanine where you can look through the wrought iron fence to the tracks below. He had his camera through the gate and some transit cop on the stairs clapped his hands and started shaking his head. What did we do? Move to the BMT platforms lololol.

Did he wag his index finger at you with disapproval? :)

But for GCT, I rarely take pics on the trains there other than from the very end of the platform or the 'mezzanine area'. Other than that i just take pics of the terminal building itself and have never had any problems.

For the rest of the subway, I have never had many problems at all. Plus I usually take pics when no one else is around anyway.

Well that last time we were up and down Eighth Ave we didn't run into any issues either. :)

I think it has more to do with being in "hotspots" than anything else. I was in Union Square (IRT platforms) with a friend on the mezzanine where you can look through the wrought iron fence to the tracks below. He had his camera through the gate and some transit cop on the stairs clapped his hands and started shaking his head. What did we do? Move to the BMT platforms lololol.

Alright, the camera through the gate is suspicious looking activity...........

Archived