Railfanning trip gone bad??

gregorygrice

Regarding photography, how do people take videos of Amtrak trains departing NYP? As far as I know, you need a valid Amtrak ticket for the train boarding on that platform in order to get down to track level if an Amtrak train is sitting there.

Unless they bought a ticket and wasted it...

I snuck onto an Acela train to take pics. As long as you're subtle you can get away with it.

It's a bit dark down there, so unless it's something special i don't bother. There was an ACES train once that i took a long good look at and a few photos, talked to the crew, that was totally fun, i all most asked if i could climb up into the gennie's cab for a ride! :cool:

I usually go down there (rarely anymore) to watch operations, trains coming in heading out, pulling through, baggage handling etc.

- A

I was stopped last fall at Jamaica by LIRR TP. very polite but asked me if I was going to delete my photo's. I asked why and they told me I was not permitted to take photo's from the platform. Then they just told me not to take anymore. Then a suit warned me again on the upper platform. Called LIRR Customer Relations and was told that if I contacted them first, they would send me an e-mail I could carry with me for that particular day. We shouldn't have to go through all this.:mad:

I don't know what it is you guys do that is suspicious to cops, but I've never been stopped in Grand Central. I go down the platform to the very front of the train if I need to (even if it's not in service) and snap away.

You have to understand officers too... you have all kinds of crazies in that place, and they're just trying to keep up with safety. If asked to not take pictures, just move to another spot and do your thang.

I don't know what it is you guys do that is suspicious to cops, but I've never been stopped in Grand Central. I go down the platform to the very front of the train if I need to (even if it's not in service) and snap away.

You have to understand officers too... you have all kinds of crazies in that place, and they're just trying to keep up with safety. If asked to not take pictures, just move to another spot and do your thang.

I couldn't because He wrote all of my information down and told me to never take pictures beyond the main terminal hallway again

I couldn't because He wrote all of my information down and told me to never take pictures beyond the main terminal hallway again

Too bad you didn't have an e-mail or notice to show him to shut him down. Have one ready next time, so at least it looks like you know what you're doing, and of course you can take pictures beyond the main concourse.

It's legal to shoot in Grand Central, as it is owned by the (MTA).

However, NYP is owned by Amtrak and taking pictures of government structures while looking suspicious can get you arrested.

Doesn't matter government, or not, Amtrak rules say you must have a valid ticket if you take photos on their property, that's not always the case for many.

I got stopped by GCT worker myself, after a friend of mine takes a pic of an M7A, but the worker didnt say crap to him, but i take a shot, then he says no shots. Which i went to his damn face and sad it is legal and he stood quite..

Idk if its becuz my friend used DSLR and i had p/s. As DSLR is common for tourist.. Ever since then, i didnt get stopped.

Sadly, the (MTA) wrote down that Photography is legal on NYCT/MaBSTOA/Bus Company Conduct, mainly becuz these agencies are the most targeted for photography. Idk if LIB or SIRTOA has something like this.

The (MTA) should of wrote down in the MNR/LIRR rules that its legal there. Photography/tripod is, except flashing(Tho, i dont see a rule on that, so could be allowed).

So far, there is nothing much to do. You can't use the NYPDs Detective list out of NYC because it doesn't apply to other counties. I did got stopped ones at NWP Grade crossing for taking a pic of an M7-A, did used the NYPD, but didnt applied since i was in Westchester. Lucky me, no trouble occurred.. Nice cop anyways..

You can TRY to bring the NYCT rules. Idk if that can help.. Maybe even removing the (MTA) New York City Transit header banner on top and replacing it with (MTA) Metropolitan Transportation Authority(With an editor) and print it out to fool the workers. But may not work much since the code numbers on the rules may be different.

I wonder if you can go to T/A HQ downtown and ask for some document that allows you to show the workers its legal..

Besides all this, these t/a workers should know the rules by now. but some just keep there mouth shut and be an ass pretending that it doesnt exist. Which is not good. But when they face legal issues, then they stay quiet.. Huh?!

I got stopped by GCT worker myself, after a friend of mine takes a pic of an M7A, but the worker didnt say crap to him, but i take a shot, then he says no shots. Which i went to his damn face and sad it is legal and he stood quite..

This is the WRONG attitude to have. There is no need to get aggressive and get in anyone's face. You are just making things worse for yourself and other railfans. Like the saying goes, 'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar'.

You can TRY to bring the NYCT rules. I dont know if that can help.. Maybe even removing the (MTA) New York City Transit header banner on top and replacing it with (MTA) Metropolitan Transportation Authority(With an editor) and print it out to fool the workers. But may not work much since the code numbers on the rules may be different.

There are so many things wrong with that. Walking around with falsified documents of a Government agency is NOT a smart thing to do. I suggest for everyone NOT to follow your examples.

here we go...

This is the WRONG attitude to have. There is no need to get aggressive and get in anyone's face. You are just making things worse for yourself and other railfans. Like the saying goes, 'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar'.

I should of been more clear. I didnt mean that i went to his face face. I mean i went up to him and told him. In a nice way. But he was WRONG to allow the other person to take a pic and not me..

There are so many things wrong with that. Walking around with falsified documents of a Government agency is NOT a smart thing to do. I suggest for everyone NOT to follow your examples

oh plz, i didnt say people to try it, i posted it just for an example...

Just go online and find the LIRR rules;)

Where on earth does LIRR says its legal? I dont see it, unless they changed it.

I brought it up a while ago but never really addressed it after a MTA corporate official emailed me and told me that that I should be ok but im going to call him tomorrow and request an official document.

cool. let me know. If the t/a gives a doc, maybe i can try that for MNR.

Archived