Are Patches Prohibited?

gregorygrice

Today while at GCT I got stopped for taking photos. (The story of that is on the other thread). After them telling me that, they also told me that I could not wear patches on my jacket because I could go to jail for posing as a police officer. Im only 15 years old and I got them from ebay and the front of my jacket says BMW Sauber Team on it. The patches I was wearing were Dysfunctional transit police patches. Is this really prohibited? Oh and heres what they look like...

MetroNorthPolicePatch.jpg

TransitPoliceTazPatch.jpg

If you could be arrested for wearing that, then they should lose their jobs for not doing so. They let a terrorist posing as a cop go.........

Long as you bought it, they can't do anything. If it were truly illegal to have that patch, then they need to arrest who sold it to you. They need to crack down on it.......

If you could be arrested for wearing that, then they should lose their jobs for not doing so. They let a terrorist posing as a cop go.........

Long as you bought it, they can't do anything. If it were truly illegal to have that patch, then they need to arrest who sold it to you. They need to crack down on it.......

Exactly! There are over a million police and transit police patches on ebay and other websites. If I don't have a badge then I am not a cop! :)

Unless you're an officer of said agency, wearing a patch from said agency is stupid beyond words. If I went around wearing NYPD patches, I would be an idiot.

I agree with your statement, but people can buy those patches. I don't understand in this day of terrorism, why are cops busy worrying about kids taking pics, like people have always dome before 9/11, but they don't seem to crack down on the patches being sold.........

I think the cops were trying to scare him. Had he been a 30 something year old with NYPD or TAPD or some police agencies patches, he would have been on the ground and in cuffs in seconds of coming up to those officers.

As long as the 3D Maglite gets fed.

lol its only illegal if you use those patches as pretending to be a police officer

It's a big gray area. It's one thing to have a t-shirt that says NYPD, but it is another story if you have patches on a uniform like jacket. I don't know what he was wearing them on, but it's not worth the hassle.

Wood shampoo is better, but you use what you got.

lol its only illegal if you use those patches as pretending to be a police officer
Which you kinda are by wearing those patches are you not? The average person would think you are if they were to see that. So even if you are not pretending to be one you are doing so indirectly.

It's a big gray area. It's one thing to have a t-shirt that says NYPD, but it is another story if you have patches on a uniform like jacket. I don't know what he was wearing them on, but it's not worth the hassle.

Wood shampoo is better, but you use what you got.

It was a BMW jacket that clearly said BMW on it. But I guess you guess are right...

It was a BMW jacket that clearly said BMW on it. But I guess you guess are right...

I have a few patches, mostly TA ones that I tacked to my bulletin board. If you really need to put them on something, maybe a backpack, but even then it's not worth the trouble.

Collecting police patches is a completely different then wearing and displaying them on a jacket or shirt in a public place. What if a tourist who is not familiar with the local police uniform goes to that person wearing the patches expecting help because they believe he or she is an officer?

As a patch collector you can buy as many patches as you want. That doesn't mean you should start to sew them on a jacket to wear.

Even though they may have been warn on a "BMW" jacket. Is "BMW" visible at all the same angles the patch is? Is there a possibility of seeing the PD patch while not seeing any other insignias on the jacket? This is nothing more than a rhetorical question and does not need to be answered, just enforcing my point on wearing it.

Just because wearing the patches on a jacket is legal, doesn't make it smart. As Dan stated anyone could associate someone wearing the patch as "legitimate".

Collecting police patches is a completely different then wearing and displaying them on a jacket or shirt in a public place. What if a tourist who is not familiar with the local police uniform goes to that person wearing the patches expecting help because they believe he or she is an officer?

:tup:

Yeah is it really worth the hassle? It's cool that you are into collecting but I would recommend not displaying your collection on a navy blue jacket in public places. Even if it's not illegal do you want to get arrested by an over zealous law enforcement type who may not be sure? I refrain from wearing TA issued clothing when not on duty, and I have a badge and the ID that goes with it.

Archived