Bye-bye BxM7B, QM22, QM23, Q89, MTA Bus service cuts

w8Hou

The MTA is going out of its way to make its riders miserable. I wish every New Yorker owned a car just so they wouldn't have to use the subway or local buses. The QM4 is slightly busier than I thought (1,007 daily riders). However, it has less ridership than some of the rush hour-only express bus routes like the X12/42 and X22. The QM21 carries 606 people a day. That's less than the X63, which doesn't run after 7 PM (the last QM21 leaves Manhattan at 11 PM). QM18 ridership is anemic (273). 500 people use the BM5. I consider that borderline. It's less than the X63 (750), but it's still enough to warrant continuing the service. The BxM2 carries much less people than I expected (893). For a route that runs 7 days a week that's pretty low. The BM4 carries 716 people a day. The X63 only runs rush hours yet it actually has higher ridership than the BM4. The BM4 is the epitome of waste. The QM24 is busier than people think (1,682). I think the QM24 is the most efficient express bus route. Of course the QM1/A is busiest (5,362).

The MTA is going out of its way to make its riders miserable. I wish every New Yorker owned a car just so they wouldn't have to use the subway or local buses. The QM4 is slightly busier than I thought (1,007 daily riders). However, it has less ridership than some of the rush hour-only express bus routes like the X12/42 and X22. The QM21 carries 606 people a day. That's less than the X63, which doesn't run after 7 PM (the last QM21 leaves Manhattan at 11 PM). QM18 ridership is anemic (273). 500 people use the BM5. I consider that borderline. It's less than the X63 (750), but it's still enough to warrant continuing the service. The BxM2 carries much less people than I expected (893). For a route that runs 7 days a week that's pretty low. The BM4 carries 716 people a day. The X63 only runs rush hours yet it actually has higher ridership than the BM4. The BM4 is the epitome of waste. The QM24 is busier than people think (1,682). I think the QM24 is the most efficient express bus route. Of course the QM1/A is busiest (5,362).

And you see, that is why riders such as yourself have no reason to complain when they say they need to raise fares. You would rather MTA to continue to run a service, cause of convenience for riders. MTA went out of their way to save money. No reason to send a 55 passenger coach, to basically burn fuel carrying air most of the time. You wish this and that cause you are upset Express routes are being let go, with absolute great reason. Anyone with an ounce of a brain, who would stop thinking about themselves, and look at the big picture, would realize this should have been done long ago. The BxM4A should have never been. It should have been combined with the BxM4B. I don't know why the Bx20 is still running. It should have been never created. Those buses can be used for Bx10 and Bx7 service........

The only people who will be unhappy is the few riders who think the MTA suppose to squander money, to give them a luxury bus, so the 3 of them can ride into Manhattan or back wherever they came from. It don't work that way, in this real world we live in. With the exception of Staten Island, if I ran MTA, all Express buses would be cut, and run rush hours only. Useless lines would go in a heartbeat. That $5 fare ain't paying for those rides. The local buses and the subways is what counts here. Staten Island Express buses is about all that counts here too.........

Forgot to add the BXM4a as well. Here the summary of the (MTA) Bus cuts.

Reductions/Discontinuations Maintained from 2009

• BxM7B - Discontinue all service due to low ridership and availability of alternatives.

• QM22 - Discontinue all service due to low ridership and availability of alternatives.

• QM23 - Discontinue all service due to low ridership and availability of alternatives.

Reductions/Discontinuations Being Considered for the First Time

• BxM4A – Discontinue all service due to low ridership and the availability of alternative

Grand Concourse corridor service. Grand Concourse corridor service would be

maintained as per scheduling guidelines with the BxM4B.

• Q89 – Discontinue all

And you see, that is why riders such as yourself have no reason to complain when they say they need to raise fares. You would rather MTA to continue to run a service, cause of convenience for riders. MTA went out of their way to save money. No reason to send a 55 passenger coach, to basically burn fuel carrying air most of the time. You wish this and that cause you are upset Express routes are being let go, with absolute great reason. Anyone with an ounce of a brain, who would stop thinking about themselves, and look at the big picture, would realize this should have been done long ago. The BxM4A should have never been. It should have been combined with the BxM4B. I don't know why the Bx20 is still running. It should have been never created. Those buses can be used for Bx10 and Bx7 service........

The only people who will be unhappy is the few riders who think the MTA suppose to squander money, to give them a luxury bus, so the 3 of them can ride into Manhattan or back wherever they came from. It don't work that way, in this real world we live in. With the exception of Staten Island, if I ran MTA, all Express buses would be cut, and run rush hours only. Useless lines would go in a heartbeat. That $5 fare ain't paying for those rides. The local buses and the subways is what counts here. Staten Island Express buses is about all that counts here too.........

100% wrong

To me this ridership for the Q66 is way off.......the bus is always pack....buses do not run on time.....If they used the traffic checkers and not the fare box to do a head count.......this is WAY OFF.....either way you try to count heads you will not get an accurate count.....if you use the fare box....miss fare beaters....allot of the people on 66 "I have no Money" or cannot speak English and just sit down....if you use the checker.....so many people on the bus I am sure they just average the head count.....whatever the method used....it is way off....

To me this ridership for the Q66 is way off.......the bus is always pack....buses do not run on time.....If they used the traffic checkers and not the fare box to do a head count.......this is WAY OFF.....either way you try to count heads you will not get an accurate count.....if you use the fare box....miss fare beaters....allot of the people on 66 "I have no Money" or cannot speak English and just sit down....if you use the checker.....so many people on the bus I am sure they just average the head count.....whatever the method used....it is way off....

That why the (MTA) if the cuts are needed are way off in being fair to the lines that really need to be canned. Overall this doomesday revised plan is much more fairer than the oringal made at the end of last year in 2009.

The (MTA) which regular uses both employees and interns to do 'schedule spot' checks couple of times a year on all 200-plus NYCT/MTA Bus systemwide should also have them do a head count as well.

100% wrong

No, he is absolutely right.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=183087

Look at those numbers, half of them are a joke. You must be really kidding yourself if you can't see that some express routes just have to go. Many express routes are running highly inefficiently and the MTA needs to change that.

Prime example, I rode the BxM11 recently during the PM rush heading up to the Bronx. The driver I had caught up and passed 3 of his leaders, and the conbined ridership between the 3 buses couldn't have been more than 20 people. And I've seen this with quite a few other routes.

Look man, numbers and figures don't lie, half or more than of those routes are not paying for themselves and money is wasted.

Look at those numbers, half of them are a joke. You must be really kidding yourself if you can't see that some express routes just have to go. Many express routes are running highly inefficiently and the MTA needs to change that.

Prime example, I rode the BxM11 recently during the PM rush heading up to the Bronx. The driver I had caught up and passed 3 of his leaders, and the conbined ridership between the 3 buses couldn't have been more than 20 people. And I've seen this with quite a few other routes.

Look man, numbers and figures don't lie, half or more than of those routes are not paying for themselves and money is wasted.

The guy who made that thread is a notorious expresss bus hater. He's been talking the same crap for years and most people just laugh at him.

I'm sick of riding an overcrowded, rat-infested system with bums. I can't even get a seat half the time. On the express bus I can sit in a comfortable seat and relax. I'll either read the Daily News, listen to my ipod, or sleep. They talk about stopping global warming and using public transportation, but if public transportation is inconvenient then why bother?

I'm sick of riding an overcrowded, rat-infested system with bums. I can't even get a seat half the time. On the express bus I can sit in a comfortable seat and relax. I'll either read the Daily News, listen to my ipod, or sleep. They talk about stopping global warming and using public transportation, but if public transportation is inconvenient then why bother?

I thought you said you never rode an express bus.

And to be honest, the Subway can be very fast compared to Express buses, imagine a Jam packed Expressway, your delayed..

Ive seen Express buses packed at 125th street on the east side, and i can walk faster a few blocks then that and even the subway..

The majority of people USE the Subway, BUs and +BRT, compared to Express Service. Mainly the less fortunate, but even people who have cash.

I thought you said you never rode an express bus.

And to be honest, the Subway can be very fast compared to Express buses, imagine a Jam packed Expressway, your delayed..

Ive seen Express buses packed at 125th street on the east side, and i can walk faster a few blocks then that and even the subway..

The majority of people USE the Subway, BUs and +BRT, compared to Express Service.

I rode an express bus twice a week for three years. What the heck are you talkng about? I put up with the (V) train and the (F) running through the 63rd Connector. I put up with the bums and overcrowding. I'm sick of this garbage subway system. I like the express bus.

100% wrong

That doesn't mean that all express buses are warranted. You have admitted yourself that quite a few express buses are a waste, like the X29 and X25 where both routes just mirror multiple existing transportation alternatives. We're only talking about getting rid of the express buses that are a waste of resources and fuel which can be used better on other routes, because they duplicate other means of transportation.

That doesn't mean that all express buses are warranted. You have admitted yourself that quite a few express buses are a waste, like the X29 and X25 where both routes just mirror multiple existing transportation alternatives. We're only talking about getting rid of the express buses that are a waste of resources and fuel which can be used better on other routes, because they duplicate other means of transportation.

X25-definitely

X29-maybe

X32-nope. Those kids worked hard to get into Bronx Science

X63- if anyone even thought about eliminating the X63 then I would start a petition and get all of my neighbors to sign it. I would also start writing to my local congressman.

X25-definitely

X29-maybe

X32-nope. Those kids worked hard to get into Bronx Science

X63- if anyone even thought about eliminating the X63 then I would start a petition and get all of my neighbors to sign it. I would also start writing to my local congressman.

In another post did you also not call for these cuts as well Forest Glen as a i paraphrase him?

QM4 Jewel Ave-Weekend service is gone.

X27/28 Sunday service which i agree 100%.

BM4-becomes a rush hour only line.

QM3 and X51 should merge.

BM5-Weekend service would be Gone under Forest Glen's previous posts.

True sir.:confused:

That looks outrageous, If I'm seeing things correctly every express bus is loosing money since the fare is $5.

Wow.

You are seeing things correctly.

In fact, Every single line is loosing IN EXCESS OF FIVE DOLLARS PER RIDER.

Another issue is the gas guzzling MCI Cross Country coaches used currently on most express bus lines. I love to ride them but they belong on (NJT), Coach USA and other suburbrian bus lines. The only lines that maybe should continue have them is the Staten Island and maybe a few Queens lines that it. The (MTA) should imo sell them a majority of the MCI's.

Time to just bring back for most express bus lines within NYC proper is NG or something similar to most lines imo. The savings on gas alone could save the (MTA) hundreds of thousands a year.

Another issue is the gas guzzling MCI Cross Country coaches used currently on most express bus lines. I love to ride them but they belong on (NJT), Coach USA and other suburbrian bus lines. The only lines that maybe should continue have them is the Staten Island and maybe a few Queens lines that it. The (MTA) should imo sell them a majority of the MCI's.

Time to just bring back for most express bus lines within NYC proper is NG or something similar to most lines imo. The savings on gas alone could save the (MTA) hundreds of thousands a year.

If this would shut the express bus haters up then I'm all for it. I still think that the long distance SI express routes need MCI's, but NG's (with cushioned seats) would suffice on 75% of the express bus routes.

If this would shut the express bus haters up then I'm all for it. I still think that the long distance SI express routes need MCI's, but NG's (with cushioned seats) would suffice on 75% of the express bus routes.

Forest i am thinking about the 'newer' buses placed in service about a year or two ago, now on Westchester/Bee Line's White Plains-Midtown BXM4c line should be used for most of the (NYCT) (MTA) bus fleet.

Archived