M15 SBS street design plan (January 2010 UPDATE)

w8Hou

Can we quit arguing guys, this is silly. Otherwise its not only MegaBus that ill lead to closed topic but w8Hou too!! Mind you IM NEUTRAL...

Anyways, cant wait till the M15BRT. I Just hope the SAS wont cause an issue with it from 98th Street south.

To bad the M15 cant be extended to 207t street via Harlem River Drive, that way a REAL +SBS transfer can occur between the Bx12 +SBS and M15 +SBS. Plus allow connection to the M34 +SBS

Yes, I will quit arguing for this few days, :P...

Well, your idea of a 'Connected' +~SBS~+ BRT System is pretty nice idea, it is then next step for faster transportation. But, I have to question it... Will it lead to more ridership? Will people ride the sections of the extended M15 to the Bronx?

I didnt mean to say the M15 would head to the bronx, but rather run on the route the M98 runs, Just after 125th Street it can head via Harlem River Drive non-stop to 10th Avenue/Dyckman Street, then take 10th Avenue all the way up to 207th Street, which then it can run with the Bx12+SBS to 207th/Broadway and end there.

And if its via the Bronx then it can take Willies/3rd Avenue Bridge and run with the Bx15/55LTD to Fordham Plaza and possibly kill the Bx55 and replace it with the M15 LTD. Tho it better via Harlem River Drive to 207th Street since it wouldnt be a Very long route since it ill avoid stops from 125th Street to Dyckman Street.

I wish the t/a can do it now instead of waiting for another phase in the future...

How come the SBS doesn't stop at 8, 50 and 72 Sts?

Maybe becuz you can transfer to the M8, M27/50, M30/72 at the SBS bus stop near these transfer points, such as 42nd street for the 27/50. Plus to allow the Local M15 to have its own stop to ease traffic.

Uhh, alright I was a little dizzy when reading that post, :P. Well, that would work out with the Harlem River Drive M15 +~SBS~+ Super Express. While, merging it with another route might not work out because it is just awkward in ways because it may just not serve the purpose of making it +~SBS~+...

Just forget the M15 via the Bronx then lol, let it run as an "EXPRESS" like route along Harlem River Drive and connect it to the Bx12+SBS

Even tho this route would be even longer then the M1 which runs from 147th to SF lol

amNY piece on M15 SBS a couple weeks back (1/18)

The Second Avenue subway is years away, but the East Side is changing a lot sooner than you think.

A makeover is coming to First and Second avenues — all the way from 125th to Houston streets —as the city tries to speed up its busiest bus route.

By October, parking, trees and traffic lanes will be removed from sections of the 8.5-mile route to lay down red bus lanes for the M15, one of the slowest lines in the city. But some elected officials are worried all the work is for naught, as the bus lanes don’t include barriers to prevent drivers from parking in them.

“We are skeptical,” said Assemblyman Brian Kavanagh, (D-Manhattan). “If we’re going to just paint the pavement red, is that the best we can do?”

Some drivers and businesses, meanwhile, are angry the plan would remove parking spots, squeeze traffic and limit deliveries in the bus lanes during rush hours.

“No parking? That’s going to kill us,” said Ibrahim Ozdemir, 55, co-owner of a Turkish restaurant on Second Avenue.

The M15 will be the city’s second “select bus service,” which speeds up travel by providing dedicated lanes and bus shelters where passengers pay before boarding. Commuting times on a one Bronx route has fallen by 10 percent since select services were trotted out in 2008, according to estimates. The city’s buses are the slowest in the nation with the M15 being especially sluggish.

“It sounds good to me. It’s a slow bus,” said Raj Jain, 26, a rider from Murray Hill.

Bike lanes would also be beefed up on both First and Second Avenues. The DOT says it can pay for the plan within its existing budget, which include more than $20 million for select bus projects.

Nineteen elected officials are gunning for the DOT to do more by building physical barriers by the bus lane, like in other cities with rapid transit service. “They haven’t gotten to the heart of the matter, which is how this will increase the speed of bus service,” Kavanagh said.

DOT spokesman Seth Solomonow said the agency is taking the feedback seriously and that the plan “was generally well-received.” The city will solicit more public input before rolling out the changes, with construction slated to begin in September.

Source: http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/big-changes-coming-to-first-second-avenues-as-part-of-bus-pilot-1.1709439

Guys, please.

Just ignore em, they want topic to get locked well they'll get it if a staff want it lock..

I cant believe people cant start behaving, now im seeing this forum going down hill.. Im sorry to say this..

This is going to be a disaster...

Explain.

Just forget the M15 via the Bronx then lol, let it run as an "EXPRESS" like route along Harlem River Drive and connect it to the Bx12+SBS

Even tho this route would be even longer then the M1 which runs from 147th to SF lol

That would be waaaaay too long, but a connection to the SBS sounds nice, but too long. The M1's main southern terminal is at East Village - 8th Street around Astor place. The South Ferry trips are midday/rush hour runs.

Well, longer but faster than the M1... Like -=Really FAST!

I disagree. The M1 gets to midtown faster than the M15. +SBS+ will be a sign of relief for some parts of the route, but we will always have those wheelchair passengers along the way.

What I'm worried about is how they would do the SBS planning south of East Broadway, unless they plan on leaving that area normal, I would think they would have to run the buses either via South Street or along East Broadway around Chatham Square.

That would be waaaaay too long, but a connection to the SBS sounds nice, but too long. The M1's main southern terminal is at East Village - 8th Street around Astor place. The South Ferry trips are midday/rush hour runs.

It would be long, but it wont need to make stops from 125th to Dyckman/10th Avenue, it will just use the Driveway non-stop with the M98

Just wondering, is the southern terminal Park row or SF for the +BRT 15?

Interesting blog about the design of the bus corridor...

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2010/01/18/integrating-bus-rapid-transit-into-the-streetscape/

I do think that without some sort of physical barrier, you will have a problem with cars/trucks blocking the bus lane. The only alternative is vigorous enforcement by the NYPD, but this will take time for people to get the message, and will still cause delays.

It would be long, but it wont need to make stops from 125th to Dyckman/10th Avenue, it will just use the Driveway non-stop with the M98

Just wondering, is the southern terminal Park row or SF for the +BRT 15?

South Ferry.

Archived