What Would You Replace the M8s With?

gregorygrice

I said it before and I'm saying it again;

why are we judging a train NO ONE has been on yet?

Once it's in service and we've all ridden it a few times, then you can whine about it.

FINALLY, some common sense!

• 2 months later...

Hopefully, when the (MTA) makes M9 orders, the M9 will be a system wide common train, with rotating third rail shoes. In my perfect world, the M9A would differ from the M9 in that it would have pantograph for the NH route...

If I had to choose a body frame to replace the M8's, which look quite nice in full consist btw, I'd choose the 815 and 817 EMU.

With their big nice windows, simple design, and smooth exterior, I think they're very nice. I would modify them, by taking out the Center door, and inserting another window, adjustments would have to be made to the other two to make things look symmetrical, but I think it would work.

Say hello to the 815.

Welcome aboard the 817.

:cool:

More than just windows an doors need to be thought about; non american stock is not built to FRA code. They are never going to order a system wide train becuase they would be too complicated and expensive.

Now, as I've said before, and i will keep saying until this thread is stoped; Why are we juding the M8s already? anyone here got a good long Ride in yet? No, of course not, why? becuase no one has ridden them yet!

I will admit, I do like the M8s as I am a MNRR foamer. I made this thread to see what other people would pick since they were complaining about it. It's just for fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I would replace the M8 with the Alstom X-trapolis, as both the Melbourne version and the Valparaiso version have loading gauges that are equivalent to that of US passenger railways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-bsCHbrwmI&feature=related

That, or one of these units from Buenos Aires.

Credit goes out to the makers of these videos.

Archived