SRO experiment on the (E)

Matt91

They're going to eliminate 35-40 seats to squeeze in 20 more people in a car with a capacity for 200 people? Out of all the lines to do this to, why it had to be the line I use everyday? It's like the MTA invents ways to torture me.

Yes, this was all targeted at YOU. Man, the MTA must really have it in for YOU, eliminating YOUR express buses and running 1 train with 3 seatless cars on YOUR (E) line. Oh wait, none of this has anything to do with you.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said man ^

Unbelievable. First it wasn't good enough R32s ran on it and now this crap over 1 train out of like 20 with folded up seats.

"Me, me, me" = 'entitlement disorder'. What about the other people that have just as stressful commutes and have to stand?

I'm more surprised this wasn't done on the 4 line first before the E.

As I took a harder look at the pic, I'm realizing how much lower the seats are than the regular R160 seats. Like others have said, they are like R40 seats and for me that's not good. I thought the seats were a bit higher in the back. I don't know man, this looks like it has failure written all over it, but we have to see how it does first.

They're going to eliminate 35-40 seats to squeeze in 20 more people in a car with a capacity for 200 people? Out of all the lines to do this to, why it had to be the line I use everyday? It's like the MTA invents ways to torture me.

LOL! Dude, it's just an experiment! You need to take a chill pill man! LOL

Personally I love this idea, if the interior wasn't so poorly designed. It needs waaay more straps for people in the middle to hang on to.

Here's what the trains in Tokyo looks like, with folded seats:

E231-5id.jpg

As you can see, more handrails and straps for people to hang on to, as well there is 6 doors per side instead of the usual 4. On the JR Yamanote Line there are only 2 cars like this in the entire 11-car trainset, and the seats are only folded from the start of service to 10am, weekdays only.

But I do believe more frequent service would be better. Tokyo added these trains only because it already runs at the maximum frequency that the signaling system can handle, and yet they still can't handle the capacity. But I guess it all comes down to cash, which I guess the MTA doesn't have.

Personally I love this idea, if the interior wasn't so poorly designed. It needs waaay more straps for people in the middle to hang on to.

E231-5id.jpg

As you can see, more handrails and straps for people to hang on to, as well there is 6 doors per side instead of the usual 4. On the JR Yamanote Line there are only 2 cars like this in the entire 11-car trainset, and the seats are only folded from the start of service to 10am, weekdays only.

But I do believe more frequent service would be better. Tokyo added these trains only because it already runs at the maximum frequency that the signaling system can handle, and yet they still can't handle the capacity. But I guess it all comes down to cash, which I guess the MTA doesn't have.

It seems to work for the japanese with a subway system a lot more densed with people than ours.As for Americans,we are too picky and spoiled.This experiment will not go well,just like when they experimented with carpet flooring on the R44`s:(

well i finally was able to ride while going to school,and theres no difference in LCDs,LEDs,or smoothness of ride.although i do like the new handle bars on the poles,it seems more like a R110A. although what i found a waste of money is they put camaeras in those sets and if you look near the door it will say "NOtICE cameras are in use in this subway cars" and also what i didnt like,is at the corners of the subway car,the seats have been removed.and at the end of each seats,the poles have been removed,and there is only 1 pole going up and down.so its now uncomfortable to sit at the end of the seats.the poles arrangement have also changed.also they cleaned up the subway car,new MTA logo,but it isnt shiny or reflecitve,just looks like the stains have been removed.also what i found funny is its every other subway car that has poles like this.like for example

8713 has:new poles

8714: orginal poles

8715:new poles

8716: original poles

8717:new poles

and the seats dont go in so they wont really be conformable on your lower back.overall its a new cool style,aint really bad but less seating now.

Subways are there to move people, not to provide comfort.

Some people don't seem to get that

Hell even the LIRR at times people have to stand and some people paid like $10 if they are going to a stop in Suffolk.

When I used to go to Stony brook, I would have to transfer at Jamaica for a 4-car C3 train and this is off peak and I would have to fight other people to get to a seat. At times I would have to stand by the door to wait till enough people got off in Nassau and then get a seat. Not a plesant commute. Thankfully it was once a week only.

The only reason for standees, besides the occasional car shortage or closed car, is the fact that LIRR riders either think the middle seat is non-existent, or that they are too lazy to walk toward the center of that 4-car C3 train and would rather pack the ends. :P I do agree that the (MTA) should have ordered more C3s, because it kinda gets annoying having to take a gamble on where to stand, then have everyone pack in on the ends, delaying the train. But that's another rant for another thread

What will be interesting to see is how easy or hard it is to get IN AND OUT of the car during crowded times because we all know people like to stake out "their" territory on a public system and not move to let people on or off the car because "their territory" just happens to be located at a place that causes an obstruction. That will be the real battle of this idea, and worth following if there is a number of people missing their stops because they can't get off the train before the doors close, which IS possible...

I was kinda wondering that myself...guess this is why it's a pilot

I walked thru at most 2 cars and both levels were packed and all seats taken. That is why I would try to line up with the door of the train to be able to get in more quickly and get the seat I want.

If they just ran an electric MU to Huntington and force a transfer there, that would've been better. Even a 4-car C3 is more closer in capacity to a 6-7 car M7 train.

E231-5id.jpg

At least the subway system in Tokyo is clean and reliable.

BTW: That's a nice pic. I'm printing it out.

As someone already said: 'the MTA is broke'. Therefore they can't add any more trains as that would be costly. And you already complained about a fare hike. = You can't have more service without paying more.

And you have 'other options' like the LIRR or the express bus. And again: this is 1 out of like 20 E trains. Wait for another train if you want a seat.

And more importantly do you even get a seat on the E train normally? Otherwise I don't see why you would be so upset about the folded seats.

Tokyo has no choice but to use folding seats since the Tokyo subway has three times the ridership of the NYC subway. The NYC subway has many other options, but chooses to take the easy way out.

And what other options are there??? If adding extra (E) trains to the mix is one of your "options", then the Queens Boulevard corridor will be a real "drag", and literally.

Cut back a few (F)'s, add a few more (E)'s. In fact, some runs on the (F) could be replaced by limited (E)'s.

Cutting a few (F)s? There are 15 (F) trains and 15 (E) trains running along Queens Boulevard during Rush hours. A train every two minutes along that section. Dominated by R160s these come very fast for the (E)(F).

I don't think cutting the (F) is a very good idea, buddy, and adding more (E)s to the mix. Some (E)s have to go to the (F) line because Jamaica Center can't handle all those (E) trains. The (F) is just as vital as the (E). There are enough (E) trains as there is already, adding more, and you might as well send those (E)s to Jamaica 179th Street.

Just a thought.

Cut back a few (F)'s, add a few more (E)'s. In fact, some runs on the (F) could be replaced by limited (E)'s.

And where will those (E)s go to?

At WTC those trains will be out as soon as they come in, and then the trains may have to head to 179th Street, meaning those who want Jamaica Center may get put over.

Very well. I had a bad day because of something totally unrelated to mass transit. It was wrong to take out my anger on people who had nothing to do with it.

But then you create an over crowding situation on the (F) so you not solving any problem, you are just moving it. What really needed to happen was an expansion of Jamaica Yard and CIY and for transit to not have reefed all the R32 that they did. They should have kept them around even as the R160s came in so that the (C) and (G) could run full length trains and add more trains on other lines.

You already suggested that and you did not address what others had said about it.

Oh, so now you want to take away service from another line eh? That's 'real fair' because 1 train has folded up seats.

Yeah 'good luck' trying to tell F riders that.

That makes about as much sense as keeping the V at 2nd Av even though the train is all emptied out by the time it gets there.

I'm not going to get into 63rd Street, but I think it's pretty obvious that more people use the (E) than the (F) in Queens. If the (F) is decreased to 12tph and they add 3 extra limited (E)'s then this could work.

I'm not going to get into 63rd Street, but I think it's pretty obvious that more people use the (E) than the (F) in Queens. If the (F) is decreased to 12tph and they add 3 extra limited (E)'s then this could work.

That is NOT going to happen due to the fact that the (E), unlike the (F), cannot accommodate so many trains. The (F) can short-turn its trains at Kings Highway and lay up trains at the 179th Street tail tracks; those extra (E) trains you want will just end up going to 179th Street and will not even serve its target riders: the ones who need Jamaica Center.

Archived