SRO experiment on the (E)

Matt91

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But then you create an over crowding situation on the (F) so you not solving any problem, you are just moving it. What really needed to happen was an expansion of Jamaica Yard and CIY and for transit to not have reefed all the R32 that they did. They should have kept them around even as the R160s came in so that the (C) and (G) could run full length trains and add more trains on other lines.

I strongly agree!! however the Mta's problem was that R32's were costly to maintain for what its worth.

If a train is so crowded that they have to take away seats then there's something inherently wrong with that route. This is just a Band-Aid solution. With the (E)'s ridership it needs to run every 3 minutes. I'm not going to get into the (F) on 63rd Street fiasco but the (E) needs more trains, even if it means cutting back a few (F) trains.

the seats fold up or down. the (E) does run every 3 mins if it were every 1 to 2 mins the line will be congested, especially merging with the (F) on Qns Blvd.

If a train is so crowded that they have to take away seats then there's something inherently wrong with that route. This is just a Band-Aid solution. With the (E)'s ridership it needs to run every 3 minutes. I'm not going to get into the (F) on 63rd Street fiasco but the (E) needs more trains, even if it means cutting back a few (F) trains.

Just be lucky that's its just a pilot for now, that 4 cars out of 10 have these seats and that the (MTA) didn't order them seatless to begin with.

If you look VERY CLOSELY at the picture, you can see some of those strap things that were on the redbirds and every other car before it inside that R160. Knew there was something more to it than different seats.

Plus if you look ot the top center, the handrails of the NTT is still there

Well the seats look like SMEE R26 thru 42

But i dont like this idea at all, just for extra room? If a disable or senior citizen comes in, the trains is full.. How on earth are you supposet to sit?!

Hopefully the seats dont break when sum idiot jumps on it..

Only 4 cars out of 10 are seatless. If an elderly person gets on they will just have to move to the other car. It has been mentioned before that a seatless car will be marked on the outside to inform passengers. And the seats won't break if one person jumps on it, considering that they can easily withstand the pressure caused by 6 people sitting and exerting all of their body pressure onto it.

the seats fold up or down. the (E) does run every 3 mins if it were every 1 to 2 mins the line will be congested, especially merging with the (F) on Qns Blvd.

The (E) and (F) currently both run 15TPH, or one train every 4 minutes during rush hour. The track capacity is 30TPH which is why both trains run at their respective frequencies.

BTW, this train is in service and has been since last Friday, at the very least. I saw it coming home from school today. They are currently running it with the seats locked in the down position, and I don't think they're sure when they are going to start putting the seats in the up position during rush hour.

So my guess is that it won't swap with the (F) even if there was a problem with one of the R160s on the (F) that could be taken out of service?

It's the TA, anything can happen. It is unlikly though since the (F) and (E) do not share terminals (aside from a few (E) trains out of 179 during the rush hours).

Only when you blow something out of proportion and you make your self the center of the universe. Not every thing the MTA does is meant to please you, this "experiment" (who's to say you will even ride this train) is a test to see it is worth being done. The idea is about increasing capacity during rush hour so more people can get on the train and have to wait less. I guess it's just too much to ask for a 25 YO to stand for part of your commute. If you really don't like, wait for the next train or just don't get on the subway at all. I personally do not like the idea of a seat less train car, but I do see the logic behind it.

Well said. It's like an entitlement to him. Does he even get a seat on the E even now? Subways are there to move people, not to provide comfort. Hell even the LIRR at times people have to stand and some people paid like $10 if they are going to a stop in Suffolk.

And what about the X1? I've heard it is always crowded, but does everyone get a seat on that line?

This idea seems good for the (E), but why only (E)?

Probably because the E is more crowded when going thru 53rd St.

Hell even the LIRR at times people have to stand and some people paid like $10 if they are going to a stop in Suffolk.

I've been on inbound New Haven trains that had standees from NH all the way to GCT...I bet our Wonderfully Positive & Outgoing Friend would love to ride on that train.

I strongly agree!! however the Mta's problem was that R32's were costly to maintain for what its worth.

What makes you say that? The problem was Jamaica yard's main priority was the R46s over the R32s. Blame differed maintenance on the problems with the R32s. Thankfully they were sent back to Pitkin yard where they can get the care they deserve.

And isn't it ironic that E riders have a solid fleet of new trains and now complain about this seat folding issue? This would be a non-issue if R32s were still on the E. They can't have it both ways.

I've been on inbound New Haven trains that had standees from NH all the way to GCT...I bet our Wonderfully Positive & Outgoing Friend would love to ride on that train.

When I used to go to Stony brook, I would have to transfer at Jamaica for a 4-car C3 train and this is off peak and I would have to fight other people to get to a seat. At times I would have to stand by the door to wait till enough people got off in Nassau and then get a seat. Not a plesant commute. Thankfully it was once a week only.

Stop that, your using logic.

;)

Overall, I think that this can work. First of all the flip-down seats and old style straps add a unique and rather pleasant look to the cars. As to feasibility, this has potential both good and bad. On the up side, running partially seatless (4 to 6 cars seatless) consists during rush could allow long-distance, elderly, or ADA travelers an acceptable number of seats while allowing more shorter-distance travelers a chance to fit on a train rather than having to let a couple go by. However, if (MTA) starts running full consists with seats locked in the up position or no seats at all, then the project becomes a flashy quality-of-service decline, in which case (MTA) damn well better not ask us for cuts or fare hikes to pay for it.

Archived