S.Korea Subway/railroad system

TheKorean

3616381111_3a420433b6.jpg

A commuter train Korail used to use until the line was replaced by subway cars and integrated in to Seoul subway system. Gyeonggui line. Funny thing is, its a subway line now, but has several at grades crossing.

The commuter train still do run, but only serves the stations north of the terminus of Gyongui subway line.

Gyongui line is over a 100 years old, an oldest track in S.Korea and does run in to North Korea. Obviously therefore the final stop on this line is not really the end of the line.

No one really knows much about the PyongYang one, but I think their stations that foreigners are allowed to go to, are really sweet classic design. Its incredibily deep underground though. Yes, it was designed and built by the Soviets.

Their rolling stocks are old and crappy, I must say.

Their kit is cast-off stuff from Berlin and Beijing I believe. Conjecture surrounds the Pyongyang system in that there is a doubt as to whether it ever works other than when foreign visitors are about. I believe a theory is that when this happens they run trains between two stations and 'invite' locals in so it looks like a busy, fully-functioning line to visitors. A group of railfans from Europe got down there a few years ago.

With all due respect to New Yorkers, they are filthy. They throw away garbages on the floor and spit their gums out everywhere. No way the system looks that good in NY. With graffitis and all.

Well yeah it is unfortunate there's a culture of 'filth' here, but is that to say that's the only reason you don't like the system? No system is perfect and for a system this large and 24/7, it's hard to keep the system clean. And what graffitis? Those are usually in the tunnels rather than the trains and stations.

It's a catch 22: run the system all day and clean up the best they can or shut the system down for 4-5 hours a day and give every station a scrub down.

Oh ok. But I do agree it could be cleaner, but for that to happen, stations need to be shut down for hours at a time each day. But that's never going to happen.

Also there should be stricter fines for littering. Hopefully cameras on the trains will catch people throwing away garbage on the floor.

ktx_in_seongjeongni_on_2005-09-05.jpg

I believe this is the French TGV model. This was the first locomotive to run Korea's KTX line. KTX line serves only the major cities and are obviously high speed trains.

But Koreans eventually made their own high speed locomotive. Which I will post later.

Check out the vending machine at the station. You can use the transit pass to buy candies and snacks. MTA could get vending machines so we can use MetroCard to buy snacks. That would be sweet and would potentially create more revenues for MTA...?

• 1 month later...

But theres a "light rail" opening up in Busan to Gimahe, where the airport is.

That one might have 3rd rail. It is definitely not a tram, I believe it works like the Everline. Completely elevated. Let me see if I can find pictures of that.

I think this is it.

4518136028_d1ab42feca_o.jpg

Pic of a planned commuter train for Seoul.

4513691851_a51c21df90_o.jpg

4513677411_d84374601b_o.jpg

Should make trips outside of Seoul to Seoul much shorter.

Archived