My first week at MTA Bus

SIZ

This was first week of line training. Today I was on the B100, yesterday I was on the BM4, Wednesday I was on the BM1, Tuesday I was on the BM2 and the Monday I was on the BM3.

So far I like it. It's definitely a challenge. I can't wait until I can go out on my own. Me and my instructor got along well. He taught me well.

I want to thank DOB2RTO for helping me out with the ALSAPS. Your instructions were perfect and it helped. Thanks!:D

Well, I'm not even sure if I will get hired yet ...less of knowing where I'll be working ...but I'm optimistic about it though .....you've got to stay positive no matter what. I didn't just applied with the bus company ....I also applied with Bridge an Tunnel .....and I will soon apply for TA. Nonetheless, I will join the MTA even if he takes me 20 years ...by then I'll be 55 years old ...and I 'll still be in good shape to give the MTA 15 more years. If you think I'm kidding ask DOB ....they are drivers now who are 70 yrs and still working for the MTA. If you see how I look at 35 Years you wouldn't daunt me. Which ever choose me first I will go. Once I have my foot in the door, I'll analyze the situation than branch out wherever my skills and experience are most useful. However, though if MTA Bus company call me sooner and I have a choice to choose ........I will go with my man DOB'S advice. I would pick Yonkers or Eastchester depot if I have a choice.

Concerning challenge .....I love challenges not abuse ....learning different route every day is a challenge when you first start ......giving a driver 3 or more different shift within one week time is abuse. I don't need to experience it to know its abuse ....all I need to know is that a driver's biological clock is crucial for good driving. Good luck ....

Concerning challenge .....I love challenges not abuse ....learning different route every day is a challenge when you first start ......giving a driver 3 or more different shift within one week time is abuse. I don't need to experience it to know its abuse ....all I need to know is that a driver's biological clock is crucial for good driving. Good luck ....

Well if you work for T/A O/A (maybe MTA BUS) get ready for so called abuse. You might not be able to pick a straight run on one line when you first get hired. You might get stuck working on the extra list, which means different reporting times and different clearing times and different routes every day. Or you could get stuck picking a work run which is like the extra list but you work a different route/run 3-4 days of the work week every week. I worked the extra list for 4+ years and some like it some dont. I liked it because I got experience on work I could not pick like express and I didnt have to deal with the same people everyday which is a blessing sometimes too. Also while the hours sucked on the extra list the money was generally good or better than many straight runs. Just remember what might seem like abuse to you now is just another day in our business. (NYCT)

I could imagine how stressful that can be specially when you keep switching your sleeping cycle throughout a 24 hr period. Once you get your body to sleep at a certain time and you switch it ...it effects your biological clock which relatively effects your driving. That's where the problem lies ...everyone's body react differently to stress. Where it may not effect you physically it may effect someone else. I'm very sure the MTA gives priority over the safety of the commuters. I would assume if a driver complain of being tired and not being able to do a shift .....any manager would take that in consideration. Their do not want a driver to fall at sleep behind the wheel.

As far as different route is concern ......I don't have have a problem with that. The more routes you learn the more useful you are as a driver. I could do two different shift as long as my biological clock doesn't change. For example, I can do two 8 hr shift starting from 8: 00 am - 12:00 pm . .....but I will be sleeping from 1:30 am till 7:00 am You follow me, it all depends on the location of my depot relative to my house ......I can even be a floater as long as my dispatcher gives me work withing the same time frame ...my driving will not be effected. It is very important, the driver's biological clock remain constant .....If MTA wants to change it, their should warn the driver ahead of time so that he makes preparation. You should allow yourself to sleep ....that's very important ....I know you need the money ...we all do but your health is more important.

This was first week of line training. Today I was on the B100, yesterday I was on the BM4, Wednesday I was on the BM1, Tuesday I was on the BM2 and the Monday I was on the BM3.

So far I like it. It's definitely a challenge. I can't wait until I can go out on my own. Me and my instructor got along well. He taught me well.

I want to thank DOB2RTO for helping me out with the ALSAPS. Your instructions were perfect and it helped. Thanks!:D

I ride the B100 very frequently so maybe I'll see you if you get that line.

I see your location is the Bronx. If you ever end up working the Bronx depots in the future, and you get the Bx19 or the Bx17, we might run into each other. (I'm in the Morrisania/Hunts Point section.)

• 1 month later...
How Long Did It Take For You To Get To The Point Of Where You Are Now, After Taking The Boss Survey. Also, After Completing Training, What Shift Do You Start Out With

I did not take the BOSS exam as I am in MTA Bus. The BOSS is only for MABSToA I believe. All I did you filled out an application for MTA Bus and I got called 2 months after. I had my CDL and was ready to go. I heard that MTA Bus put a freeze on all applications since they already hired a bunch of new drivers me included. I will eventually try to get into NYCT as soon as I get the chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SIZ, congratulations brother. i wish you the best. good luck!:D

Archived