What are some things that you think the MTA waste their money on?

TrainFanatic

I mean I would think if the Jamaica El segment was replaced by shuttle buses late at night, it would allow crews to do maintenance on the el and inconvenience fewer people than in the day.

Isn't it against the rules to work on an El at night except in an emergency?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh ok. I still think 1 bus vs 1 train would be more of a cost savings in terms of maintaining one bus vs. [in the case of the J train] an 8-car train. That late at night, I really don't think there's that many people riding the train [could be wrong].

Plus it would be better to do all the work at night that impacts fewer people than if done during the day

Yeah the costs of running a bus is greater than operating a train because of the resources the bus uses (diesel, CNG) whereas a train runs on electricity and does not emit any pollution, so it's cheaper.

IMO, as a safety measure the rear section of the train (last 4/5) should be cut out at night and the trains could have different stop positions at night so they stop near the exits. I know there are some qualms with this but it's better than having to literally shorten a train at night by uncoupling the cars.

Yeah the costs of running a bus is greater than operating a train because of the resources the bus uses (diesel, CNG) whereas a train runs on electricity and does not emit any pollution, so it's cheaper.

IMO, as a safety measure the rear section of the train (last 4/5) should be cut out at night and the trains could have different stop positions at night so they stop near the exits. I know there are some qualms with this but it's better than having to literally shorten a train at night by uncoupling the cars.

It's already done on off peak on the LIRR and Metro North.

It's time to rework the contract with the TWU and just for the hours actually worked and not this mess of paying *double time* to do a job that takes 5 minutes imo. While the transit workers deserve free pay, it's sad that 'senior' t/o's and bus drivers make more money than NYPD cops FDNY and teachers. The TWU also at times greedy imo needs to buy into their health insurance(cause of the last 2005 NYC transit strike)as well as they maybe one of the last major government unions in America that has almost totally free insurance.:P

I also feel that the MTA needs to cut back on a cast of thousands of upper management officals as well getting 5-6 figure salaries. Not to mention what i find unfair is (MTA) chief Jay Walder and other bosses not taking a pay cut.:tdown:

My point is that both the union and upper management are being unfair and the big losers are entry level (MTA) staff and the riders as well.:mad:

And finally the biggest blame goes to folks at both Albany and NYC City Hall for cutting back (MTA) funding and using it that monies as 'tax cuts' to the public so they can get re-elected.

Sorry the truth hurts but that how we got to this crisis along with a serve recession.

The TWU also at times greedy imo needs to buy into their health insurance(cause of the last 2005 NYC transit strike)as well as they maybe one of the last major government unions in America that has almost totally free insurance.

What nonsense is this? Either its "free" or not "free" stop splitting hairs hairs and playing word games we DO pay for the health care again you open that mouth of yours without facts you are better off being quiet...

You KNOW there are OTHER UNIONS that are in the MTA that have Operating personnel(Metro North L.I.R.R) right?

It's time to rework the contract with the TWU and just for the hours actually worked and not this mess of paying *double time* to do a job that takes 5 minutes imo

1st of all you are in NO postion to tell the TWU to rework anything worry about your self and which job that takes 5 minutes to do that pays double time? Why dont you elaborate?

While the transit workers deserve free pay, it's sad that 'senior' t/o's and bus drivers make more money than NYPD cops FDNY and teachers.

Another Lie i see you just keep up at it huh? How do you define "Senior T/O's" Hypocrite? Why dont you go online and look up the public employee salaries? Its right there so you can back up your rants. I dont expect you to respond since you did not with my last post which proves what a faker and fraud you are... :tdown:

The TWU also at times greedy imo needs to buy into their health insurance(cause of the last 2005 NYC transit strike)as well as they maybe one of the last major government unions in America that has almost totally free insurance.

What nonsense is this? Either its "free" or not "free" stop splitting hairs hairs and playing word games we DO pay for the health care again you open that mouth of yours without facts you are better off being quiet...

MY replies in red to RTO.

You KNOW there are OTHER UNIONS that are in the MTA that have Operating personnel(Metro North L.I.R.R) right?

Yes. I am. FYI. My Brother works for Metro North so i do something about NYC Transit.

Yes. I stand by my comments that the TWU management needs to wake up and realize that while they need to get paid well, NYPD, FDNY and even teachers are more important to well being of NYC.

It's time to rework the contract with the TWU and just for the hours actually worked and not this mess of paying *double time* to do a job that takes 5 minutes imo

1st of all you are in NO postion to tell the TWU to rework anything worry about your self and which job that takes 5 minutes to do that pays double time? Why dont you elaborate?

5 minutes to open and close a train station.

While the transit workers deserve free pay, it's sad that 'senior' t/o's and bus drivers make more money than NYPD cops FDNY and teachers.It was a mistype sorry about that. Relax RTO man. You seem to be a TWU upper management member are you RTO? You guys are getting paid better than many people in the city right now. if you read my comments i also been crtical of the MTA Management as well.

I meant "fair pay' and i mean 'senior t/o' and bus drivers' as senior ones who been on the job 20 years. Ditto for (MTA) Bridges/Tunnels aka TBTA toll collectors who make alot of money.

Another Lie i see you just keep up at it huh? How do you define "Senior T/O's" Hypocrite? Why dont you go online and look up the public employee salaries? Its right there so you can back up your rants. I dont expect you to respond since you did not with my last post which proves what a faker and fraud you are... :tdown:

OK proud to be a fraud and faker when i speak the truth and unions like the TWU give unions across America a bad name and refuse to compromise. I also in other threads been critical the lack of unions especially in the South and West Coast.

I just never been a fan of the NYC TWU after the 2005 strike and i admit it. Still you can be fair and still be well paid. This is just a disagreement RTO Man and nothing more. If you dont like my views that cool too. Majority of New Yorkers (i live upstate) feels the same way. Just my takes.

It's time to rework the contract with the TWU and just for the hours actually worked and not this mess of paying *double time* to do a job that takes 5 minutes imo. While the transit workers deserve free pay, it's sad that 'senior' t/o's and bus drivers make more money than NYPD cops FDNY and teachers. The TWU also at times greedy imo needs to buy into their health insurance(cause of the last 2005 NYC transit strike)as well as they maybe one of the last major government unions in America that has almost totally free insurance.B)

I also feel that the MTA needs to cut back on a cast of thousands of upper management officals as well getting 5-6 figure salaries. Not to mention what i find unfair is (MTA) chief Jay Walder and other bosses not taking a pay cut.:tdown:

My point is that both the union and upper management are being unfair and the big losers are entry level (MTA) staff and the riders as well.:mad:

And finally the biggest blame goes to folks at both Albany and NYC City Hall for cutting back (MTA) funding and using it that monies as 'tax cuts' to the public so they can get re-elected.

Sorry the truth hurts but that how we got to this crisis along with a serve recession.

you do know a cop at top salary makes approx 6,000 bucks more than a t/o? at one time t/o's made more than cops...but thats not the case now........

teachers make more than a tss, so theres NO way a t/o makes more than a teacher; where are u getting these figures from?

if you have any knowlege of the last few contracts, the union has taken HUGE STEPS BACKWARDS in terms of pay........they have lost so much ground, they are not even the top paid in the country at any vital position(bus driver,t/o,c/r).........so i dont think transit workers are breaking the bank in terms of salary.......heck, im surprised ur not saying a sanitation worker is overpaid.......because they make more than most t/a operating employees.......

you do know a cop at top salary makes approx 6,000 bucks more than a t/o? at one time t/o's made more than cops...but thats not the case now........

teachers make more than a tss, so theres NO way a t/o makes more than a teacher; where are u getting these figures from?

if you have any knowlege of the last few contracts, the union has taken HUGE STEPS BACKWARDS in terms of pay........they have lost so much ground, they are not even the top paid in the country at any vital position(bus driver,t/o,c/r).........so i dont think transit workers are breaking the bank in terms of salary.......heck, im surprised ur not saying a sanitation worker is overpaid.......because they make more than most t/a operating employees.......

Stop it you dont want to confuse him with facts i tried that already...

Two wonderful things the MTA wastes $$$ on:

1) R160's

2) CBTC

Had the MTA not ordered or at least cut back on the R160 they wouldn't be doing these service cuts...

2) I agree, the way it's done is wasteful. Otherwise, it's a good idea, actually.

1) If the (MTA) didn't order R160s, they would be wasting more money on maintaining your favorite cars, like the R32s, R40s, R42s, R44s, etc.

Archived