What are some things that you think the MTA waste their money on?

TrainFanatic

When is Rogers Junction ever gonna be on the (MTA) budget and here they are spending money on CBTC.

A realignment of Rogers Junction was on the drawing board in the 60s. As much as I'd like to see a realignment, as practical as it could be, it would cause a huge disruption to the four Brooklyn IRT routes. I'd like to know how would the services be impacted and turned around if they can't pass through the Rogers Junction area.

And not to forget, no money for it at the moment.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The Next Gen order...they could have continued making Old Gens

The OG's had major problems that the NG's were supposed to fix, which is why production of the OG's stopped.

Wow! 20 Grand! Personally, I think those clocks are a waste. The train comes when it gets there. Do people leave the system if the train is coming in 10 minutes instead of 5?

That's part of the logic behind the clocks. If you are waiting late at night and you aren't sure whether to leave the station again for a bagel and a coffee (considering almost 90% of riders have unlimiteds) then you can just look at the clock and make your decision.

With what money?

He was only referring to what the switch setup made possible, not actually converting the station.

1. CBTC on the (L) and (7)

2. The (7) extension

3. The new South Ferry station,the old one was just fine.

4. Those Countdown Clocks, I actually seen a person jump the turnstyle at E.143 when it was added.

5. 59th st. renovation, old station was fine.

6. The NG order, would have been much better to order from NovaBUS or make a split

7. Scrapping the R32s, when the R44s far more serious problems other than MDBF.

The (7) extension wasn't considered a waste when it was actually planneds out since it would have been necesary had the West Side rezoning plans gone through.

South Ferry also isn't a waste, it allowed them to expand (1) service and decongested that terminal.

The countdown clocks didn't enable that dude to jump the turnstyle, the lack of a station agent did. The agent at 143rd was cut.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Nova didn't have their Plattsburgh plant ready yet when they were planning to buy NG's. Even then that's not a waste of money considering the Novas would have cost just as much money.

Scrapping the R32s wasn't a waste at the time because back then no one knew about the problems the R44s were having. Hypothetically, we could get rid of all the R44s and then two years from now the R32s start having severe mechanical problems that warrant their retirement. The R44's retirement wouldn't have been looked at as such a necessity then.

As someone who lives down here I actually prefer the new SF station to the old one. The (R)(W)(1) are so damn close they actually should have been connected either at Rector St or SF. Plus I don't have to listen to the train screeching when it comes in and leaves now that the station isn't on a sharp curve. So I really don't think the old one was just fine.

The old one at least allows a person to enter the building directly than to have to step outside and walk a few feet into the building having to deal with the weather. The very end of the 1 train is very far away from the terminal, meaning people are still going to stay towards the first 5 cars.

They could've built a connection to the R/W from the loop as well.

As for the 7, the only extension should've been to 12th Av and 41st St with a stop on 10th Av.

The L should've been extended west towards Chelsea Pier.

Interior wise, it's basically the same. I don't ride the OGs as much anymore, but they don't feel any different than the NGs.

The bus interior of the Next Gen's looks as if they did a half-ass job on it because every time the bus hits a whole bump it shudders and the gray panels in between the windows feel as if they're going to fall off.

The old one at least allows a person to enter the building directly than to have to step outside and walk a few feet into the building having to deal with the weather. The very end of the 1 train is very far away from the terminal, meaning people are still going to stay towards the first 5 cars.

They could've built a connection to the R/W from the loop as well.

If I remember correctly the old station wasn't wheelchair accessible either. And yeah they could have but they didn't. Also the department of transportation paid for the new station so technically the MTA didn't pay for it at all.

True, but since it was supposed to go for 'Lower manhattan' that money could've been used for the Fulton st complex. I think it was a $400+ mil money pit. Sure the new platform is ADA friendly, but if not for the gaps on the gap fillers - you could still put an elevator that takes ppl right to the loop platform level.

here's my pick for what they wasted money on:

cbtc on the L....326 million and its not working the way they wanted

the station customer assistant program:an uter failure; whoever came up with the idea of having clerks outside the booths DESERVES to get fired....now that program is just about obsolete...........

the line managers program: i say this because they havent gotten rid of all the extra layers of supervision.........

the fulton street project: budget overruns galore.........should have been ready a long time ago.....

WHAT THEY DIDNT WASTE MONEY ON:

south ferry renovations: the station needed a overhaul badly.......

7 train extention: i think this is a good idea; why not have a train extend out to 11th ave?

countdown clocks: in todays day and age, those are important, especially on the overnights when it seems you dont know when the next train is coming...............

WHAT THEY DIDNT WASTE MONEY ON:

south ferry renovations: the station needed a overhaul badly.......

South Ferry was NOT overhauled. They built a new station that leaks like crazy. The money would have been better spend overhauling the loop station, not building something that is falling apart after being open 2 or so years.

South Ferry was NOT overhauled. They built a new station that leaks like crazy. The money would have been better spend overhauling the loop station, not building something that is falling apart after being open 2 or so years.

i can see why they built the new station, but poor contracting work is the problem.............

...And I also disagree on the new switches at 74-Broadway that was smart b\c that's a popular stop at least you can catch a (7),<7> there instead of the (7).Its a major station so why not let it be an exp stop...

That interlocking was finished years ago and all it did was slow down <7> trains with timers. I've yet to see a <7> stop there

That interlocking was finished years ago and all it did was slow down <7> trains with timers. I've yet to see a <7> stop there

I assume the plan was to have <7>s run express, and switch to the local track (either) just to make the 74th stop? Sounds like a real time-killer.

As someone who lives down here I actually prefer the new SF station to the old one. The (R)(W)(1) are so damn close they actually should have been connected either at Rector St or SF. Plus I don't have to listen to the train screeching when it comes in and leaves now that the station isn't on a sharp curve. So I really don't think the old one was just fine.

The transfer is relatively pointless. Beforehand there was still 42 St or Court St to transfer between the two. I've only used it a couple of times just for the heck of it, not because it was convenient.

The MTA wast money on R160s And station Rebuilds

Some stations really do need to be rebuilt. Platform edges and stairways begin to crumble after a while and paint peels. That said, newer station renovations should be limited to those areas and be more of a cleanup as opposed to full rebuild with new floor tiles, wall tiles, and everything. Church Av IND is a good example.

I assume the plan was to have <7>s run express, and switch to the local track (either) just to make the 74th stop? Sounds like a real time-killer.

I think the real plan was so that whenever construction requires that the (7) runs express, they have the option of running express either until or starting at 74th St, rather than skipping it because the switches were at Woodside. There was no intention of having the <7> making a stop there.

Here`s a few from me....

1)Signs telling them to stay away from the platform edge.

2)Excessive spending on Hybrids and NTT`s whensome of the old stuff is still good.

3)Transit Cheks.Who really uses them.

4)Yeah you might as well say the CBTC.

5) making buses talk.E.g

(Me)"How was your trip Orion NG?"

(Orion NG)"Please do not stand in the rear doorwell":p

Guest lance25

While I can agree with you guys that there is a lot of waste in the MTA, I don't believe that Fulton St is one of them. One of the biggest transit hubs in Manhattan, second to Times Sq-Port Authority, it is completely inaccessible to anyone disabled. One would have to bus it to West 4 St for Eighth Ave service, Chambers St for Seventh Ave and Marcy Ave in Brooklyn for the (J), (M), or (Z) trains.

Also, with both the 32s and 44s on their way out, the 46s and 68s can't sustain the entire system alone. Would you rather have new trains running every 5-10 minutes or have your favorite trainset running every half-hour or so during rush hrs just so there aren't any 160s on the rails.

R32s are no longer on their way out.

The problem with the Fulton Transit Center is that it does not really fix any of the major problems with the Fulton St complex. You will still need to use the A/C platform to make transfers.

The nonexistant problem of finding an entrance is being fixed. Beforehand, It was so hard to find a station entrance that if you blindfolded someone and left them in the neighborhood, they only would have a 90% chance of randomly falling into a Fulton st. entrance.

South Ferry is another big waste. The old South Ferry station had a greater train capacity than the new one. The new station can hold more people, but such is nothing that a platform extension and a second entrance couldnt have solved. (Hell- if you were to open the existing closed doorways, the old platform has an easier transfer to the R/W than the new one does. )

I had to higlight that because thats something that our boy Jay has never, ever talked about, he knows where his place is...

being in flagging has given me a lot of inside info. signal maintenance and some lighting maintenance is now also being outsourced. why do we need outside contractors changing lightbulbs in tunnels when we have mow?

Here`s a few from me....

1)Signs telling them to stay away from the platform edge.

2)Excessive spending on Hybrids and NTT`s whensome of the old stuff is still good.

3)Transit Cheks.Who really uses them.

4)Yeah you might as well say the CBTC.

5) making buses talk.E.g

(Me)"How was your trip Orion NG?"

(Orion NG)"Please do not stand in the rear doorwell":p

um, I use TransitChek. How is that a waste of MTA money? The MTA doesn't manage that program. TransitCenter, Inc is the company that manages the program.

Archived