MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great.... another star that wasn't protected by the Nats. Fail... like how Kerry Woods was dominate back when he just came up and his team didn't protect his arm. Strasburg will probably never be the same again

Agree 110% bro on that statement. This may seem crazy but maybe Strasburg could still have a descent carrer as a closer. I am serious about using him in a closer role assuming after Tommy John Surgrey he close to healthy to look into that.:eek:

Also the Nats should have waited until now in Sept. to bring up Strasburg for his MLB debut after spending a full season in the minors. Remember in 2009, he was still in college ball.

That why the Nats IMO are a Mickey Mouse club.

Agree 110% bro on that statement. This may seem crazy but maybe Strasburg could still have a descent carrer as a closer. I am serious about using him in a closer role assuming after Tommy John Surgrey he close to healthy to look into that.:eek:

Also the Nats should have waited until now in Sept. to bring up Strasburg for his MLB debut after spending a full season in the minors. Remember in 2009, he was still in college ball.

That why the Nats IMO are a Mickey Mouse club.

Nats always get the good players but they ALWAYS ALWAYS somehow f**k them up. IMO, IDGAF what the Nat's record is they should just be dropped to the bottom under the World Series Champions during the draft so they dont f**k up any more future stars

The Senators aren't "that bad". True, the Nats are 56-75 and close to another losing season, but their 56-75 places them as the eighth worst team.

The Nats are ahead of the Royals and the Cubs (55-76), the Indians (53-77), the DiamondBacks (52-79), the Mariners (51-79), the Orioles (48-83), and the Pirates (43-87). On the plus side, they're only three and one-half. games behind the Astros (59-71).

2009 (58-103) and 2008 (59-102) were bad seasons for the Senators. With 56 wins to date in 2010, they may approach 2007 when they finished 73-89 or 2006 when they finished 71-91.

The last time Washington, D.C. had a winning team was 1969 - the Senators went 86-76 (and attracted 918,106 for 81 games at RFK).

Their first season, 2005, has been the Nats' best: 81-81.

It's funny how many people wanted the Mets to get starting pitching before the deadline, but now it's the offense that's lacking.

Manny Ramirez got sent to the White Sox. He's probably gonna start today. This will help the White Sox tremendously in the offensive area (barring injury or slump).

It's funny how many people wanted the Mets to get starting pitching before the deadline, but now it's the offense that's lacking.

Manny Ramirez got sent to the White Sox. He's probably gonna start today. This will help the White Sox tremendously in the offensive area (barring injury or slump).

The White Sox should have gotten him by the August 1 regular trade deadline.

The Twins have bulit a sizable lead in the AL Central and Manny is on the downside of his carrer.

Probably too little too late for the Southsiders of Chicago:(.

Chicago has a chance to come back, there only 4 games behind with 1 month left in the season. That is, the White Sox of course. Cubs don't look like they're coming back unless some major miracle happens

The AL West, NL Central and NL West looks like its all wrapped up already. For the rest, I think we gonna have to wait and see

I think that if the Yankees pitching is just as good as last year's postseason in the playoffs, its gonna be a Yankees vs Reds World Series or Yankees vs Padres world series. Just my opinion

At the 132 game marker, we have our first winner of 2010! The Yankees clinched their eighteeth winning season with a 9-3 win over the Athletics. The Yankees are a major league best 82-50 (44-22 at The Stadium).

The Rays lose 13-5 to the Blue Jays to hold with 81 wins and drop back to second one game behind.

The Red Sox get slowed by the Orioles 5-2 and fall eight games behind the Yankees and seven games behind the Rays for the A.L. Wildcard. The Red Sox are 74-58. This is looking like 2008, but with the Yankees and Red Sox reversed, and the Yankees and Rays battling it out, and the Red Sox chasing them. Even the A.L. Central resembles 2008 with the Twins and White Sox in a race.

The White Sox are third, eight behind the Rays, and two behind the Red Sox.

The Los Angeles Angels, I think, are nearly done in the A.L. West and are done in the A.L. Wildcard. The Angels can fight for a .500 or an 82 win winning season and start to plan for 2011.

In the National League, in a tightening race, the Braves beat the Metropolitans 9-2 to improve to 77-55. The Braves are doing this at home in Atlanta, on the road, the Braves are 29-37. Depending on how the Phillies do, the Braves temporarily lead by 3.5 games with the win.

The Reds just won to match the Braves with 77-55. They beat the Brewers 8-4. Suddenly, the Cardinals are faltering. They lose 3-0 to the Astros to fall to 69-61 and seven games behind the Reds.

Depending on how the Padres do versus the DiamondBacks, it could remain a three-way tie with 77-55.

In the N.L. Wildcard, the Phillies (remember them?) (73-58) lead the Giants by 1.5 games, the Rockies and Cardinals by 3.5 games, the Dodgers by 5.5 games, the Marlins by 7 games, the Metropolitans by 8.5 games, the Brewers by 11.5 games. The Astros are 12.5 games back and still have a tiny, slim, mathematical chance as do the Brewers. With an average of thirty games remaining, this is fun!

Congratulations to the Yankees - 1992 has been the last losing season.

Tuned to Francessa's show on WFAN today [fill in hosts] and they were talking about the Rays' low attendance numbers. They also threw around ideas to move the Rays to Connecticut or New Jersey. Of course for that to happen would mean the Rays would need to be an NL team which would cause an uproar with the Phillies and the Mets.

But they raised a good point that the northeast is a better baseball market unlike in the southeast and west.

There was another idea to contract both the Rays and Marlins and move the A's to Miami.

Some interesting ideas, any opinions?

The Mets RF Jeff Francoeur was traded to the Texas Rangers for INF Joaquin Arias. Francoeur had a batting average of .236, but hit 11 home runs. Arias is hitting .276. In other new, pitcher Aroldis Chapman made his debut yesterday for the Cincinnati Reds, pitching a perfect 8th inning against the Milwaukee Brewers. He struck out 1 batter and threw 8 pitches in that inning. His highest recorded fastball was clocked at 103 mph. 103 mph!!!

Guest Charles
Tuned to Francessa's show on WFAN today [fill in hosts] and they were talking about the Rays' low attendance numbers. They also threw around ideas to move the Rays to Connecticut or New Jersey. Of course for that to happen would mean the Rays would need to be an NL team which would cause an uproar with the Phillies and the Mets.

But they raised a good point that the northeast is a better baseball market unlike in the southeast and west.

There was another idea to contract both the Rays and Marlins and move the A's to Miami.

Some interesting ideas, any opinions?

Face it, people in Florida don't care about baseball, period. Not only the Rays, but also the Marlins. The fact that the Rays play in Tropicana is bad enough (didn't they lose a game to the Twins recently b/c of the catwalk issue there) and the fact that the Marlins play in a football stadium with 70,000+ capacity and they manage to draw 10,000 at most per game, that's pretty embarrassing. Same for Atlanta as well, it's been a good decade since Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux but Hudson/Hansen/Jurrjens has been pretty good this year, oh yeah, and Heyward too, but Turner Field is usually empty. Guess it's not only true for Florida, but the entire southeast region: That's football country and the SEC rules there.

Yeah, it's pretty sad down there. And the problem for the NE is that though there's a high demand for baseball, the current teams are going to cry foul over any new teams moving in and taking away a potential fan base. Contraction is the only option. What makes it so sad is how decent the marlins, A's and great the Rays are. Those teams deserves better than what they have now.

I would have the Cubs organization disbanded and have the Rays organization move there. KC could be replaced by the Marlins. And lol, maybe replace the Mets with the A's.

This comes as a surprise to me: the American League team trailing in home attendance this season is the Indians. The Indians have attracted only 1,162,325 to date.

The American League's bottom seven:

*14) Cleveland: 1,162,325

*13) Oakland: 1,162,861

*12) Toronto: 1,242,399

*11) Kansas City: 1,289,928

*10) Baltimore: 1,387,713

*9) Tampa Bay: 1,550,007

*8) Seattle: 1,787,517

The White Sox hold down the cellar of the American League first division. The South Siders have attracted 1,777,911 to date.

For comparison, here are the National League's bottom eight:

*16) Miami: 1,151,505

"15) Pittsburgh: 1,324,679

*14) Washington, D.C.: 1,554,941

*13) Phoenix: 1,671,228

*12) Cincinnatti: 1,728,398

*11) San Diego: 1, 653,967

*10) Houston: 1,891,178

*9) Atlanta: 2,003,853

*8) New York: 2,100,112

The Brewers hold down the cellar of the National League first division. Milwaukee has attracted 2,357,519 to date.

The American League Leaders are the Yankees who have attracted 3,062,397 to date. Los Angeles (A.L.) is second behind the Yankees - 2,639,889.

The National League Leaders are the Phillies who have attracted 3,056,189 to date. Los Angeles (N.L.) is second behind the Phillies - 3,046,600.

Teams in bold are teams I'm a little surprised are second division teams.

Attendance figures courtesy of Baseball Reference.com and are current through yesterday's home games.

The Mets RF Jeff Francoeur was traded to the Texas Rangers for INF Joaquin Arias. Francoeur had a batting average of .236, but hit 11 home runs. Arias is hitting .276. In other new, pitcher Aroldis Chapman made his debut yesterday for the Cincinnati Reds, pitching a perfect 8th inning against the Milwaukee Brewers. He struck out 1 batter and threw 8 pitches in that inning. His highest recorded fastball was clocked at 103 mph. 103 mph!!!

I liked Frenchy, he was a good guy, way better then F Mart but very inconsistent. Bring up the kids from the minors and lets see what they can do.

Lucas DUDA had to leave the game last night due to cramps in his hamstring, he fits right in with this joke of an organization.

After the game in which DUDA went 0-3, Jerry complimented his performance in batting practice...:confused:

Face it, people in Florida don't care about baseball, period. Not only the Rays, but also the Marlins. The fact that the Rays play in Tropicana is bad enough (didn't they lose a game to the Twins recently b/c of the catwalk issue there) and the fact that the Marlins play in a football stadium with 70,000+ capacity and they manage to draw 10,000 at most per game, that's pretty embarrassing. Same for Atlanta as well, it's been a good decade since Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux but Hudson/Hansen/Jurrjens has been pretty good this year, oh yeah, and Heyward too, but Turner Field is usually empty. Guess it's not only true for Florida, but the entire southeast region: That's football country and the SEC rules there.

Being fair, back in ancient history Charles and Concourse in the early '90's LOL, the Braves and Blue Jays were both (hard to believe)in top 2-3 in MLB attendence as Turner Field and Rogers Center Skydome first opened. It also helped those clubs made the world series a couple of times as well.

MLB made a huge mistake expanding beyond Denver and South Fla. in '93 and stayed at 28 teams maxium. Instead of giving teams to Tampa and Phoenix in '98, Bud Selig should have just had struggling team move. "Contracting" or removing 2 clubs is almost out of the question since almost all of the 30 clubs in last 20 years have each spent hundred of millions or more on new ballparks and those cities would sue and get back alot of buliding them.

Only Oakland is due for a new ballpark and could be a possible choice for being contracted. However it would be sad for the A's to go since they won 4 world series since being on the West Coast.

MLB Owners was too greedy in overexpanding and realize there too many teams in the SE part of the US(Just like the NBA now has too many teams in the Southwest)and only care about profits.

IMO what MLB needs is a salary cap for smaller revune clubs like Pittsburgh, KC, etc. to compete with the Yankees. However the MLB Players Union would never allow it.:P

The Rays and Marlins are both looking for a new stadium. If anything I would keep the A's over the Rays since they have a more storied history. So if it means contracting the Rays* and marlins** while moving the A's to Tampa, then I would be in favor of that.

*Or rather the Rays becomes the A's in name only and gets to inherit their legacy.

**Marlins organization replace the Nationals and the Nationals would carry on the Marlins' legacy. As the Marlins won 2 WS titles.

Guest Charles
The Rays and Marlins are both looking for a new stadium. If anything I would keep the A's over the Rays since they have a more storied history. So if it means contracting the Rays* and marlins** while moving the A's to Tampa, then I would be in favor of that.

*Or rather the Rays becomes the A's in name only and gets to inherit their legacy.

**Marlins organization replace the Nationals and the Nationals would carry on the Marlins' legacy. As the Marlins won 2 WS titles.

Isn't Florida's new ballpark a done deal? I know that the Rays are still w/o a new contract.

So wait, I'm not getting this 100%, correct me anywhere I'm wrong: the Rays "become" the Tampa Athletics - and are you going forth w/ your idea of moving this new team to the NL?

I'm totally confused as to your last point about the Marlins and Nats tbqh...

The owner of the Marlins is corrupt and the team should be desolved. The Rays are without a contract and would be a prime team to be desolved. The A's need a new stadium and if the Miami deal is open, the A's could be moved there and replace the Rays in the AL East.

To deal with the vacuum: the Pirates would be moved to the NL East and the D'Backs would be moved to the AL West.

=

in an unrelated note about the footnotes: the Rays currently are better than the A's, but the A's have more of a history and should be kept at all costs. So rather than for them to just disappear, the Rays would be the A's, and carry on the A's legacy. ie: The current A's organization would be desolved.

The Nats are just terrible and the Marlins organization is much better. So disband the Nats and move the Marlins to DC.

Isn't Florida's new ballpark a done deal? I know that the Rays are still w/o a new contract.

So wait, I'm not getting this 100%, correct me anywhere I'm wrong: the Rays "become" the Tampa Athletics - and are you going forth w/ your idea of moving this new team to the NL?

I'm totally confused as to your last point about the Marlins and Nats tbqh...

Concourse and Charles. As i stated before the marlins are staying in Miami and constuction just got started late last year('09)at the former Orange Bowl football stadium for smaller size(about 35,000 seats)retractable roof stadium similar to Chase Field The D'Backs stadium in Phoenix. The new Marlins stadium is supposed to open on opening day of 2012 season.

As part of the marlins new stadium deal i Read somewhere in which Miami is paying 75% of the costs and the marlins about only $100 Million, the team must remain in South Fla. for at least 30 years or else MLB must pay City of Miami up to $1 Billion dollars. So in other words guys, take off the Marlins for a team to be considered for a move or contract.

Only the A's and Rays now need a new ballpark/stadium.:)

Not only are the Marlins receiving a new Baseball-only park, as part of the deal, they become the Miami Marlins in 2012, joining the Los Angeles Angels and San Diego Padres in taking their city's minor league team nickname.

When M.L.B. briefly flirted with contraction around 2000 A.D., and ended up keeping all thirty franchises, they played "musical chairs". Jeffrey Loria (Montreal Expos) got the Florida Marlins, M.L.B. got the Montreal Expos, and John Henry (Florida Marlins) got the Boston Red Sox.

Since the contraction idea, the Minnesota Twins have become healthy and now have a new Baseball-only park, the Florida Marlins are getting a new Baseball-only park, and a new name, the Montreal Expos were moved to Washington, D.C., becoming the third edition Washington Senators, and are now owned by Ted Lerner, and have a new Baseball-only park, and the Anaheim Angels became the Los Angeles Angels while staying in Anaheim, and their park.

This leaves, basically, the Oakland Athletics, and maybe the Tampa Bay Rays, and Kansas City Royals.

The Rays, with three winning seasons, seem to be getting better. This year they might attract 1.6 - 1.7 million for the 81 home games in Saint Petersburg. I believe Tropicana Field was built because the White Sox supposedly were in trouble, and were looking at Tampa. It was built in 1990, eight years before Tampa Bay was awarded the Rays.

The Athletics are the Athletics. And have been since Charles O. Finley moved them from Kansas City to Oakland for 1968. They've had good years - in 1990, they attracted an astounding 2.9 million for the 81 home games, and the Giants attracted 1.975 million for the 81 home games giving the Bay Area an astounding 4.875 million attendance. They've also had some bad years - in 1974, the Athlectics attracted a horrendous 845,963 for the 81 home games.

The Royals are a sad franchise these days, far from their glory days, and play in one of the "older" parks. The Royals last attracted 2 million fans in 1991, and since 1994, generally attract 1.3 to 1.7 million fans for the 81 home games. In 1989, the last year the Royals won 90 games, they attracted 2.4 million for the 81 home games.

Archived