MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mets won today, 3 to 1, against the Houston Astros. Jon Niese started today for the Mets. He pitched 7 innings, allowed 7 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, and 5 strikeouts, but got a no - decision. Perpetual Pedro got the win, and Hisanori Takahashi, who has been a swingman for the Mets, got his first career save. Matt Lindstrom took the lose for the Astros. David Wright got 3 hits, while Carlos Beltran hit his 2nd home run.

I got scared when Pedro didn't catch that ball. What else could have gone wrong with the team?

Shaun Marcum is pitching a no hitter for the Blue Jays against Oakland.

Sad news for MLB fans everywhere. Bobby Thomson who hit arguably the most famous home run in baseball history today has passed away. Thomson hit a walk off and series clinching home run in 1951 to win the NLCS for then New York Giants over the Brooklyn Dodgers. Here clip of that historic moment.

Sad news for MLB fans everywhere. Bobby Thomson who hit arguably the most famous home run in baseball history today has passed away. Thomson hit a walk off and series clinching home run in 1951 to win the NLCS for then New York Giants over the Brooklyn Dodgers. Here clip of that historic moment.

Reactions EE Local?

In a bit of surprise, Cubs Manager and possible future MLB Hall of Famer Skipper

Lou Piniella has moved up his planned retirement for end of this season to today 8/22/10 for his final ever game as an MLB skipper. The guy has never seem the same after losing in the 1st round in upsets of the NL playoffs 2 straight years in 2007 and 2008 to Arizona and LA.

Cubs play the Braves and despite having won 1 world series w/ the Reds in 1990 and taking the Mariners and Cubs to several playoff berths including 3 LCS apperences in '90 with the Reds and '95 and '01 with Seattle.

Piniella seems disapointed of his utilmate career goal of leading the Cubbies to their first WS title since 1908.

So with Piniella gone, could current Yanks Skipper Joe Giardi want this job starting in 2011? He is from the Chicago area and lifelong Cubs fan. In Chicago media, in public polls he is the strong 2nd choice after Cubs legend and HOF 2nd baseman Ryan Sandberg for the job. Reactions? Below is AP story printed in Fox Sports website.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/lou-piniella-cubs-retiring-after-game

Back to the Local NY teams. Yankee fans are you worried about the Rays? Tampa has been on 'fire' this month of August and are now in Neck and Neck race with NY for AL East crown and possible #1 seed in AL playoffs. Both teams will probably make the playoffs but just wondering if the Rays could make the world series even as a wild card?:confused:

Worried in what regard?

- That they'll make the playoffs?

They wont face each other in the first round anyway... the short series against a team like the devil rays would concern me the most... with the way things are going, there's a better chance we'll end up facing the twins in the 1st round again....

- That they'll beat the Yankees in the playoffs?

not worried about that... I don't see the devil rays beating the yankees in a 7 game series, regardless if they (d rays) have home field adv. or not... quite honestly, I'm more worried about the red sox getting in there (instead) & upsetting the yankees....

I'm looking forward to a Rangers/Yankees matchup myself.....

Also shifting gears what about more media coverage of this year's surprise teams? The Cincy Reds and the San Diego Padres.

This is what I don't like about MLB coverage for TV. While I am a Yankee fan myself, instead of showing the Mets games(sorry to say Met fans but you season is about over)as alternative games, how about showing more Padre or Red games on ESPN, Turner or Fox? Being fair Met fans, I would also say the same thing if the Yankee playoff chances being slim and now and still being shown on National TV. Recently i saw a Rays-O's game on Fox's MLB game of the week. Could it not had been either the Reds or padres instead?

Business 101, it's called 'promotion.':tdown:

At least in the NFL with it's flex schedule for NBC Sunday Night games, surprise teams can make an apperence on 'prime time' as a reward. And yet, MLB officals and Fox wonder why the tv ratings for playoff/world series games go way down if the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets or Dodgers are not playing.

The other big news in MLB for Sunday 8/22/10 is this. HOF Dodgers Announcer Vin Scully will return for 2011 season. Many feel next year might be his last season in MLB now entering his 6th decade.

If you never heard of Vin Scully one of the best MLB announcers ever IMO (He was the national TV voice aka 'Joe Buck' for NBC Game of week and Playoff/World series baseball as well in 1980's when that station was home to MLB)do a google search. Treasure this man as he the last major link between Baseball golden era of the 1950's/60's and now.

I'm so glad Detriot has done so poorly as well as Seattle. Detriot just seemed to have the Yankees' number this season as well as some of those close games in Detroit [notably the Vazquez well pitched game loss]. Seattle namely when they had the 1-2 punch in Lee and King Felix. The Yankees still can't beat either of them - overwhelmingly.

I am surprised at how well the Reds and Padres have done this year and as a baseball fan I love it. Atlanta has also been doing very well and surprising me.

As for Texas and the Twins - I'm confident the Yankees will beat either one. Tampa, I dunno. As long as Sabathia pitches 3 of the 7 games [if it drags on that long], I think the Yankees will win. I do hope Andy is back with them and pitching well. I certainly don't trust Vazquez and burnett. Hughes, I would guess would be in the pen to be the bridge to Rivera.

No matter what happens the rest of the season, Mr. Bobby Cox will go out a winner. The Braves' manager, who has announced his retirement at the end of this season, has guided the Braves to a 73-51 record and the N.L. East lead (2-1/2 games in front of the Phillies) as of today (Monday August 23d).

Gotta give him credit, Mr. Cox was the right person when the Braves returned to health in 1991. He came back to managing from being the Braves' General Manager with 97 games remaining and guided the Braves to a 40-57 finish.

Then followed fourteen National League Division Titles (3 West and 11 East) and 17 winning seasons (the Braves were second with 68-46 on strike day 1994; 84-78 and third in 2007 and 86-76 and third in 2009).

Maybe the only downside has been 2006 when the Braves finished 79-83 and third, 2008 when they finished 70-92 and fourth and the Braves' Postseason record: The trips to the National League Championship Series ended after 2001 and the Braves went 5-4 in nine trips and the trips to the World Series ended after 1999 and the Braves went 1-4 in five trips. Their only World Series title came in 1995 when the Braves defeated the Indians 4 games to 2 to win Atlanta's first-ever World Series and the Braves' first since 1957 when they were in Milwaukee.

Mr. Cox also managed the Braves from 1978 through 1981 (he was succeeded by Mr. Joe Torre) and the Blue Jays from 1982 through 1985, He guided the Blue Jays to their first winning season (89-73) in 1983 then guided them to their first A.L. East title (99-62) in 1985.

Following the Blue Jays' loss to the Royals in the A.L.C.S., he returned to the Braves as General Manager from 1986 until returning as Manager in 1990 succeeding Mr. Russ Nixon.

Overall, Mr. Cox's managerial racord as of today is 2,486-1,981 (355-292 as Blue Jays manager). At age 69, he is in his 29th season as a manager (a little over four seasons as a general manager for 33 seasons total as manager/general manager).

It all starts with Mr. Bobby Cox - and with Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Steve Avery. and Greg Maddux when you think about the Atlanta Braves.

This decade, the Chicago Cubs went on a "four year plan" (literally): Mr. Don Baylor (2000 A.D.-2002; Mr. Dusty Baker 2003-2006 and Mr. Lou Piniella 2007-2010) and it produced six winning seasons, the Cubs' best season (97-64 in 2008) in recent memory and a trip to the National League Championship Series (2003 - a heartbreaking 4 games to 3 loss to the N.L. Wild Card Florida Marlins after the Cubs were up 3 games to 2 and leading 3-0 after seven innings in Game 6).

Unfortunately 2010 will become the 65th season since the Chicago Cubs made a trip to the World Series and the 102d season since they won a World Series. Anyone who remembers seeing the Cubs and Tigers play back in 1945 is at least 74 now - and older.

I'm not sure who might make a good choice as new manager of the Atlanta Braves in 2011.

I kind of agree: the Cubs should give Ryno (Mr. Ryne Sandberg) a chance as new manager in 2011. He might make it.

How time flies! Henry Aaron is going to be 77 next February. And "Mr. Cub" Ernie Banks is going to be 80 next January.

So EE or any other fan? How is the best Baseball Announcer radio or tv you ever heard?

Here my top 20 list in my lifetime as i been watching/listening to MLB since 1982/83. This includes both Local/regional and Network(National) Broadcasters. Although from a NY area view, I did spend alot of summer in Southern New Jersey with my aunt so i heard and watch the Phillies alot as well.

1)Vin Scully (Dodgers and NBC-TV) Best MLB announcer ever IMO.

2)Harry Kalas (Late Phillies Announcer)

3)Bob Murphy(Late Mets announcer)

4)Frank Messer (Yankees)(anyone remembers him?)

5)Al Micheals(ABC)PPL. forget before he became full time NFL announcer he was began his career an excellent MLB announcer for the Reds, Giants and ABC as well)

6)Phil the "Scoooter" Rizzuto and Bill White (Yankees) ( I loved that Yank broadcast team of White, Messer and "Scooter" of the '70's and early 80's)

7)Jack Buck (Cardinals and CBS-TV)-Joe's Father.

8)Bob Costas-(NBC)Much better as Studio Host than MLB Play-Play Man. Maybe best MLB studio host ever at least on National level.

9)Gary Cohen-(Mets)Maybe the best MLB play-play man in the business today and a shame why ESPN, Fox or Turner has not hired this man IMO.

10)Ernie Harwell(Tigers)Growing in Coney Island, used to hear his voice on radio from Detroit's WJR-AM during the summer late at night as kid when Tigers were on west coast.

11)Ralph Kiner (Mets)great story teller.

12)Tony Kubek(Yanks and NBC-TV) great partner for Bob Costas on NBC and later with the Yanks on MSG.

13)Joe Garogilla (NBC)Vin Scully's partner and before the lead Commentator for NBC in late 1970's working with Kubek and Curt Gowdy.

14)Joe Buck (Fox)Very good Play Play man and one of the best in business today. Much improved from when he started in 1995 but still he does tend to have a bias against the Yanks and talks & jokes too much. Much better in MLB than NFL but Rupert Mudrock loves this man.

15)Tim McCarver (Fox)not as good as early in his broadcast career IMO working w/ Al Micheals and Jim Palmer and tends to have a bias also against both NY teams since he was fired from both jobs. Other than Kubek maybe the best Network color analyst ever.

16)Gary Thorne(now with Orioles)Not just an excellent Hockey announcer. Remember him for years as Bob Murphy's partner on radio for the Mets and his calls during the '86 world series.

17)Ritchie Ashburn (Phillies)-Low key and great partner to Kalas who was honest. Like Kalas it was a shame a network never used him for national games.

18)Tom Cheek (Blue Jays)Spent couple of summer vactions in Canada and remember his calls which was so cool.

19)John Sterling (Yankees)the only reason he not higher in this list is fact the endless mistakes he makes during the game. However you can't deny his home run calls are memorable LMAO.

"That ball is going it's gone. A bomb from a Arod.":p

20)Jim Kaat (Yankees)Excellent Analyst.

Don't laugh:eek:. Former Brewers Owner and current MLB Boss Bud Selig had had a statue bulit in his honor at Miller Park home of the Brewers. This was part of a cermony in which he selected to the Brewers HOF as well.

As a Owner of the Brewers Selig was an excellent boss. However as MLB Boss he at best so-so IMO. Here link and any reactions?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100208&content_id=8037770&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Watch that statue get tarred and feathered in a few months.. that's all I'll say.

Very true indeed.:)

Shifting gears, what up with the NL Division/Wild Card Leaders except San Diego? The Braves, Phillies, Reds, Cards and Giants all had their butts kicked this week playing their weaker rivals.

The point of matter is if the Mets had been playing better themselves recently they could have gotten back into at least the NL wild card. Now it's about playing the rest of season and trying to save both Minayna and Jerry Manuel's jobs.:eek:

If things stay the same I think Manuel is gone after the season and Omar will be demoted/reassigned but no longer the Mets GM. Reaction Met Fans or anyone else?

Strasburg is out for the reminder of 2010 season and possibly next year as well due to ligament tear. May need "Tommy John" surgery.

Question reminds did the Nats 'rushed him' too soon and waited until 2011 for his MLB debut?:confused:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/08/27/stephen-strasburg-has-significant-tear-in-elbow-ligament/

It is reported that Brad Hawpe, former outfielder of the Colorado Rockies, has been signed by the Tampa Bay Rays.

Recently released outfielder Brad Hawpe will sign with the Rays, FOXSports.com reported Friday.

Hawpe, who was released by the Rockies on Aug. 19, was batting .255 with a .776 OPS, seven homers and 37 RBIs in 88 games this season, spending 63 of his 69 starts in right field.

The 31-year-old lefty hitter also drew interest from the Red Sox and Rangers, but signed with Tampa Bay -- tied for the best record in baseball -- because it offered him the most playing time, according to FOXSports.com.

The Rays will pay him the prorated minimum.

Hawpe, who can also play some first base, is a career .280 hitter in seven years in the big leagues. From 2006-09, he averaged 25 homers and 93 RBIs per season.

I don't get it. Overall, the N.L. doesn't seem as strong this season (after an average of 127 games played, the Padres are 26 over .500 (.603) and the Braves and Reds are 19 over .500 (.575)) and yet the Central only has two teams (Reds 73-54 and Cardinals 68-57) over .500 and there're teams like the Pirates (43-84), DiamondBacks (50-78), and Senators (54-74).

At this pace, it appears one N.L. club may win 95, two or three may win 90, three or four may win 85, and two or three may win 80 this season.

The N.L. Wildcard reflects the standings a little better: the Giants (71-57) lead with the Phillies (70-57) .5. the Cardinals (68-57) 1.5. the Rockies (66-60) 4, the Dodgers (66-62) 5, the Marlins (64-62) 6, the Metropolitans (63-64) 7.5, and even the Brewers (59-68) 11.5 having a chance. The Astros (58-69) 12.5 might still have a tiny, mathematical, chance with 35 games remaining.

Bad news out of Washington, D.C., Nats' rookie Stephen Strasberg's injury is worse than expected and he faces probable Tommy John Surgery. At twelve to eighteen months rehabilitation, Stephen Strasberg may not return to the Nats until the 2012 season.

In twelve games before the injury, he went 5-3.

I don't get it. Overall, the N.L. doesn't seem as strong this season (after an average of 127 games played, the Padres are 26 over .500 (.603) and the Braves and Reds are 19 over .500 (.575)) and yet the Central only has two teams (Reds 73-54 and Cardinals 68-57) over .500 and there're teams like the Pirates (43-84), DiamondBacks (50-78), and Senators (54-74).

At this pace, it appears one N.L. club may win 95, two or three may win 90, three or four may win 85, and two or three may win 80 this season.

The N.L. Wildcard reflects the standings a little better: the Giants (71-57) lead with the Phillies (70-57) .5. the Cardinals (68-57) 1.5. the Rockies (66-60) 4, the Dodgers (66-62) 5, the Marlins (64-62) 6, the Metropolitans (63-64) 7.5, and even the Brewers (59-68) 11.5 having a chance. The Astros (58-69) 12.5 might still have a tiny, mathematical, chance with 35 games remaining.

Bad news out of Washington, D.C., Nats' rookie Stephen Strasberg's injury is worse than expected and he faces probable Tommy John Surgery. At twelve to eighteen months rehabilitation, Stephen Strasberg may not return to the Nats until the 2012 season.

In twelve games before the injury, he went 5-3.

EE Local I already mentioned the Strasburg injury. Read above;)

EE Local I already mentioned the Strasburg injury. Read above;)

I feel bad for the kid, but he is still making 15 million a year.

He may never be the same pitcher again but at least he got

paid, don't forget his signing bonus $15.1 million.

The Yankees gave up 9 runs last night, Joba was pulled

in the 8th inning, only the great Mariano shut the Chi Sox

down. Ugly win but a very important one since they remain tied with the Rays.

33 games left, 7 more with the Rays,6 more with the Red Sox. Fasten your seat belts Yankee fans, try, try, try to hold on.

Let me start of by stating I know this recession is ongoing and a horror show.

With that said, I am very surprised that we are now in late August/early Sept. and 2 first place teams the Reds and Padres are still not even selling out even games against Division rival i.e Reds vs. the Cards and the Padres vs. the Giants and Dodgers.

The Midwest where Cincinnati is and San Diego where the Padres play have been among the hardest hit areas of the country in this mega recession. With that by now since both the Padres and Reds play in ballparks that are less than 10 years old that hold about 40,000-plus seats each by now should be 2/3 full by every game.

San Diego (I am serious)the #1 sport is the outdoors i.e going to beach, fishing, rollblading etc has suffered and even that city's most popular #1 sports club, the NFL Chargers did not sell a couple of games last year in 2009.

I also add the Toronto Blue Jays to this list of teams with low attendence despite having a good team. The Jays even in a brutal division with the Sox, Rays and Yanks this year even after trading Halladay might finish with their best record since 1995. They have a very good offensive team and next year if they can get a #1 type starter on their team they could IMO compete with the Yanks for their 1st playoff berth since winning the WS in 1993.

The Rays might be in a rebuliding year in 2011 losing Carl Crawford and a few others. While the Red Sox might be also be retooling for a next challenge to win a world series in 2012 and beyond.

So guys what you think of the impact this recession had had on ticket sales on MLB and all of pro sports?

I bet most of the crowd at Petco Park this weekend was Phillie fans.

San Diego while one of the most beauitful cities in America IMO, also has one of the worst sport fans anywhere along with Miami, Houston and Atlanta. Notice all of them 'sunbelt' cities. I don't want to go too off topic so I leave it there.

Archived