MLB Baseball 2010 thread: The Regular Season

Shortline Bus

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Yankees should forget about the Division and focus on the wild card. If they win the Division they'll play Texas in the 1st round. Texas has Yankee-killer Cliff Lee. If they win the wild card, they'll play Minnesota. The Yankees own Minnesota.

Be Carefully what you wish for. I remember in 1988 in the NL Playoffs, the Mets won the season series vs. the Kirk Gibson Dodger team that won i think only 90-91 games in the regular season. Almost everyone on the planet was picking the Mets who won about or close to 100 games that year to 'sweep or win in 5-game the NLCS. Instead one of the bigger upsets in MLB playoff history occurs that year as the Dodgers beat both the Mets and A's (McGuire/Canseco/Rickey)that year to win the 1988 Championship. Ditto for the KC Royals in the George Brett years losing 3x to the Yanks in the ALCS in the 1970's, before beating the Bombers in 1980.

One of these years the Twins will win a series.

So right now in a 1st round Rays-Texas series who wins? If they match up in the first round I say Tampa wins in 4 games IMO.

Yes, Lee can't pitch on short rest so not sure how even a 'long' series would be like, but I don't think he'll pitch in 3 of the 5 games.

But as far as Yankees-Rangers: the Yankees can beat Texas, it's just they were unfortunate to have faced a healthy Lee and Mo blew a save. That plus the Yankees always pwn the Twins, that is why I'd favor taking the WC.

Shortline, you have a point... but that's not why I think, what I'm about to post:

I think the Yankees would be better off facing Texas in the first round... their bullpen is not consistent at all, and even if Lee pitches 2 of the 5 games (which he's gonna have to), that's asking him to shut down the Yankees in both those appearances, and somehow get a win from some other SP.... compare that to the likes of having to face Sabathia (twice), Hughes, and Pettitte (or if Girardi's stupid enough to start him in a 5 game set, AJ Burnett).... Although the Yankees bats have been real flat this past week, I know a win is a win, but still, look at how Texas won those games in that last series sweep... I'm not convinced...

The Rangers are playoff pretenders.... I've been sayin this (not on here, but offline) for the longest.

and also...

b/c I think the Twins can beat the Devil Rays in a 5 game series... they (D. Rays) are the perfect example of a Jekyll & Hyde team... they have these games where they're hitting the ball all over the field... and games where it's difficult for them to get a hit, or worse, get on base.....

I can't see the Twins beating the Yankees (or the Rays) in a 7 game series, regardless if they have home field advantage or not....

Good points there ^. I never thought of it that way. If the Twins can beat the Rays, all the best to them. Right now the Rays scares me the most. I think in this case home field will be sorta important as the Yankees haven't done well in Tampa this year.

Remember the Rays are perhaps the strangest team in MLB History to ever make the post season. They been victim of 2 no hitters this season including the perfect game. B35 is right they are a Jeckel and Hyde team.

I won't be shocked if they either lost in the 1st round in a 3-game sweep or are going to the world series. The Rays of 2010 are that unpredictable.

Here some MLB news. The 2010 regular season will start much earlier and the world series will not end in November. Here the story.

Baseball to get early 2011 start, will open season March 31

By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY

Major League Baseball's schedule for the 2011 season will eliminate the need for the World Series to be played in November, but it could create havoc in the spring.

The season, which features the Chicago Cubs playing at Fenway Park for the first time since the 1918 World Series, will start on Thursday, March 31, four days earlier than the traditional Monday opener. Only four seasons have begun earlier, and it will mark the first time since 1976 that opening day will be on a Thursday, according to the Elias Sports Bureau

Teams were given the option of starting on Thursday or Friday, according to MLB senior vice president Katy Feeney, and five teams opted to start a day earlier, leaving an open-day on Friday in case there's a postponement. The regular season is scheduled to end on Wednesday, Sept. 28, with the postseason opening three days later. The World Series is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, Oct. 19, a week earlier than the past two years, with Game 7 on Oct. 27.

"I'm thrilled to death," says Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland, one of four managers on Commissioner Bud Selig's committee to review on-field issues. "It makes a lot of sense. I want this to sound right, but the sooner we play the postseason — with football going on and the weather — the better we'll be. It's rough playing in November with the weather being so cold.

"I know we're taking a chance here. It may be warmer on March 28 than May 15. I'm talking Detroit, Michigan. You just don't know."

Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane applauds the earlier start but says he believes there will be repercussions.

"You're certainly going to have regular season games in April that will be changed or affected by the weather," Beane says. "But given the choice, you'd rather lose games then than in the postseason. The only danger is you lose a lot of games early due to weather, you're going to have to double-up a lot."

Beane also shares the sentiment expressed by Los Angeles Angels manager Mike Scioscia, who is also on Selig's 14-person committee, that the season should be reduced by four games to 158 games.

"I'd certainly be in favor of that, although my reasons are somewhat selfish and linear," Beane says. "There's a lot of players being taxed physically, especially the pitching staff, which is the most expensive commodity. It's hard enough for a big market, but it really puts a lot of stress on the small markets."

Selig says he has raised the possibility of reducing the schedule to owners, but no club has expressed interest because of the loss of attendance and TV revenue."

MLB IMO should really be reduced to 154 games especially now in the expanded playoff era. The only way IMO Baseball should have the world series end around the first couple of days in November is that teams without domes mainly the NY and Chicago teams, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit Minnesota and Colorado all had retractable roofs.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2010-09-14-mlb-schedule-2011_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

NL Playoff race

Also the Padres collapse is starting to become full circle. The SF Giants are

now in 1st place for first time since May with the Rockies coming up fast challenging the Braves, Giants and Padres for at least the Wild Card spot.

San Diego is having a choke similar to the 2007 and '08 Mets. Reactions?:eek:

The Mets swept the Pirates. Yay.

Anyone notice how small the crowds at Mets games are at Citifield? The lack of fans looks like Shea in the late 1970's when the Met had some of their worse teams in club history.:cool:

It looks like the Stadium of the Marlins these days. I honestly can't believe that people abandon their team like that.

Damn what wrong with the SD Padres? They lost again tonight (9/17/10) to the Cards 14-3. Forgot the playoffs the Padres could soon be in 3rd place and out of the playoff mix. Even the 2007/08 Mets 'choked' on the last weekend of the season.

The Mets have the record for the worst choke job ever in baseball. I hate the Padres, they have overachieved this season, other then Adrian Gonzalez their offense is a joke. Rooting for the Giants to win the division. Let the Rockies and Braves fight it out for the wild card.

The Rays only have a 249 team batting average but are 2nd in the A.L. in runs scored. Number 1 in stolen bases in the majors.

I don't see how either the Yankees or the Rays get knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs Shortline Bus.

- The Rays can get knocked out in the 1st round by a team that plays above average defense; You keep them off the bases.

- The Yankees can get knocked out in the 1st round by a team that plays just about equal to them (offensively) for 9 innings... if it's one thing I've noticed about the Yankees in the past couple years is that, they are not that great of an extra inning team...

^^Saying that another way, once you get Mo' out the game, your chances of winning increase drastically....

K-Rod arrested and gone due to his injuries, Santana gone due to his injuries, not much to root for. Can't blame them. The season is another lost year.

The 2011 Mets... "This is our year" !

lmfao......

The Mets swept the Pirates. Yay.

That's sad.

I mean, the reaction to that.

Damn what wrong with the SD Padres? They lost again tonight (9/17/10) to the Cards 14-3. Forgot the playoffs the Padres could soon be in 3rd place and out of the playoff mix. Even the 2007/08 Mets 'choked' on the last weekend of the season.

Their pitching has pretty much choked (starting & relief)...

Timely hitting, which they're thrived on for most of the season.... It's not there for them anymore..

The Mets have the record for the worst choke job ever in baseball. I hate the Padres, they have overachieved this season, other then Adrian Gonzalez their offense is a joke. Rooting for the Giants to win the division. Let the Rockies and Braves fight it out for the wild card.

Agreed... I'd rather see the Giants/Braves/Rockies (any of those 3 teams) in the playoffs, over the Padres... the way they play is somewhat similar to this year's Twins.... which is why I say a Padres/Twins WS would be the worst thing for baseball....

- The Rays can get knocked out in the 1st round by a team that plays above average defense; You keep them off the bases.

- The Yankees can get knocked out in the 1st round by a team that plays just about equal to them (offensively) for 9 innings... if it's one thing I've noticed about the Yankees in the past couple years is that, they are not that great of an extra inning team...

^^Saying that another way, once you get Mo' out the game, your chances of winning increase drastically....

Not only that, but even Mo can cough up a game every once in a while. So even slim lead might not be enough.

But though the Yankees can hit, their pitching and timely hitting have been what keeps them afloat. I do worry if this is their 'best'.

Not only that, but even Mo can cough up a game every once in a while. So even slim lead might not be enough.

But though the Yankees can hit, their pitching and timely hitting have been what keeps them afloat. I do worry if this is their 'best'.

yeh, he squandered today's game, to boot... and his last few appearances have been close calls also... don't know what's up w/ him, but anyway....

Their Starting pitching & timely hitting keeps them in games....

Their relief pitching, I have to say, is overrated though....

^^ So much so that it's to the point where, as of this September, I now have more faith in Kerry Wood, than ANY Yankee reliever...

..emphasis on any.

..no exceptions.

I hope the Yankees let Captain Intangible walk when his contract is up. He hasn't done anything this season. Cano has been carrying the Yankees.

I do agree that Jeter is no longer an elite player and past his prime. With that said, he such a fan favorite that would be an uproar by most Yankee fans, if Cashman and the gang let him 'walk' for free agent. Jeter, like or not is the most popular star in MLB right now that become a cultural icon. It's similar to both Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn popularity was about a decade ago. Gwynn and Ripken were cultural icons at the end of their HOF careers that became famous with their teams that would caused fan uproar if they were let go.

For those reasons, Jeter is probably going to retire as an Yankee.

Regarding Cano, he has at least 50-50 shot to win MVP. However i still think the Tigers Miguel Cabrera or outside chance the Rangers Josh Hamilton might win it. Reason why I don't Cano will win MVP is this scenrio. The media/sportswriters outside of NY will make argument that "Robby' numbers are inflated for having to bat behind A-Rod. Just my takes.

I do agree that Jeter is no longer an elite player and past his prime. With that said, he such a fan favorite that would be an uproar by most Yankee fans, if Cashman and the gang let him 'walk' for free agent. Jeter like or not is popular like Ripken or Gwynn was a decade at the end of their careers.

For those reasons, Jeter is probably going to retire as an Yankee.

Believe me, I know. Sometimes I post on the Yankees messageboard. They called me a troll because I said Jeter was overrated.

Believe me, I know. Sometimes I post on the Yankees messageboard. They called me a troll because I said Jeter was overrated.

FG, let's not forget, Jeter is a future 1st ballot HOF. A decade ago, he was among the best baseball players on the planet. Also last year in '09, he had a MVP-type season but it probably the end of having that type of stats.

Now he just a very good player having at best a so-so season. I know this maybe controversial but IMO i think Jeter should be moved to an outfield spot if there is a better defensive SS available as early as next season.

Jeter's defense skills has really declined in last couple of years.

Jeter is overrated... especially on the offensive end... Has been for the past decade almost....

Euphoric Yankee fans believe this guy can do no wrong...

I tell you one thing I'm sick of him doing this year...

Swinging at the first dam pitch during at-bats & constantly grounding out... it's been plaguing this guy the whole 2nd half of the season... it's been killing innings offensively...

If Jeter wasn't such a crummy leadoff hitter, the talks about carla crawford (since he's a free agent next year) coming here wouldn't be as prevalent....

Now he just a very good player having at best a so-so season. I know this maybe controversial but IMO i think Jeter should be moved to an outfield spot if there is a better defensive SS available as early as next season.

Jeter's defense skills has really declined in last couple of years.

Totally disagree...

Jeter's far worse offensively than he is defensively... It's not his defense that's problematic... Why do you think the Yankees are (said to have) the best infield in baseball....

Furthermore, they'd be better off getting rid of him as opposed to putting him in the outfield....

What message would putting Jeter in the outfield send to guys like Swisher, Gardner, and Granderson ?

Jeter is overrated... especially on the offensive end... Has been for the past decade almost....

Euphoric Yankee fans believe this guy can do no wrong...

I tell you one thing I'm sick of him doing this year...

Swinging at the first dam pitch during at-bats & constantly grounding out... it's been plaguing this guy the whole 2nd half of the season... it's been killing innings offensively...

If Jeter wasn't such a crummy leadoff hitter, the talks about carla crawford (since he's a free agent next year) coming here wouldn't be as prevalent....

Totally disagree...

Jeter's far worse offensively than he is defensively... It's not his defense that's problematic... Why do you think the Yankees are (said to have) the best infield in baseball....

Furthermore, they'd be better off getting rid of him as opposed to putting him in the outfield....

What message would putting Jeter in the outfield send to guys like Swisher, Gardner, and Granderson ?

Very true. I admit I only watched about 25-30 Yankee games in full(I do watch the highlights every morning either on Sportscenter or online)but to me it seemed his defense went downhill worse than his offense. Remember i hardly watched any games in August due to the passing of My Dad.

We can agree Jeter will never be the great HOF player he was between 1998-2001. Still a very good ballplayer though.

At this point in his carrer if Crawford is coming to the Bronx from Tampa, Derek is better off batting either #2 or even #7-#8 in the lineup.

We can agree Jeter will never be the great HOF player he was between 1998-2001. Still a very good ballplayer though.

At this point in his carrer if Crawford is coming to the Bronx from Tampa, Derek is better off batting either #2 or even #7-#8 in the lineup.

Swish got the 2 hole on lock.

I tell my family, this guy should be moved down to the 9 hole... this way, if Jeter does manage to get on, you have Gardner (or whoever will end up leading off) & Swisher right behind him..

....but of course, the Yankee organization would NEVER let that happen.

-----------------------------

This is how I look at how one should go about building a batting lineup...

(for this example/list, handedness isn't taken into consideration)

- the #1 guy in the lineup should be the high OBP guy (speed on the bases, a plus)

- the #2 guy should have some pop to his bat, have a decent OBP, willing to take a few extra pitches to wear out the pitcher, to set up the inning (the scoring) for the #3 & #4 guy...

- the #3 guy in the lineup should be the guy that can hit for average and/or power

- the #4 guy, as well all know, is the high RBI guy, the power guy, hence the term "clean up hitter"

- the #5 guy is the insurance guy, doesn't necessarily have to hit for power (somewhat similar to the #2 guy, except he has to be more of a power guy & RBI guy)...

- the #6 & #7 guys are basically there to fill voids in the lineup; they're there to try to prolong innings; they have no real role or responsibility..

- the #8 guy should be the guy that's more prone to getting base hits over the #9 guy...

- the #9 guy can either the be weakest bat (or possesses a real low BA) in your lineup... or someone that just isn't there (for whatever the reason, be it skillwise, prolonged slump, coming back from injury, etc) to be an effective leadoff hitter....

(for an NL lineup though, this is pretty much reserved for the pitcher)

Whoever's in the #9 hole, is looked at as the guy that's the worst player on the team.... for all practical purposes, it's pretty much true... but on some teams, their 9-1-2 can be just as dangerous/pesky as facing some team's 1-2-3 hitters.....

Archived