Metro's Oldest Railcars Set to Retire

Forest Glen

Metro could take a huge step toward replacing the oldest rail cars in its fleet. At a board meeting, Metro officials will present a plan that will set in motion the procurement of hundreds of new, next generation rail cars, known as 7000 series rail cars.

One Metro official describes the $2 billion plan as the largest rail procurement in Metro's history.

A total of 648 new 7000 series rail cars are expected to roll onto Metro's tracks over time -- the first 64 of which will be used for the Dulles Rail expansion on Metro's Silver Line.

Over time, the 7000 series rail cars are also expected to replace the oldest rail cars in Metro's fleet, known as the 1000 series rail cars

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=30&sid=1917616

2009 was a miserable year for the DC Metro. 2010 will be a better year.

I'll miss the Rohrs. Very fast trains with a cool propulsion sound. It's definitely time for them to be laid to rest, though. Even with them now being "sandwiched" in the middle of 6 and 8 car consists, they're still vulnerable to "telescoping."

I was shocked when I saw that Alstom didn't win the contract. They did a good job with the 6000s as well as the 2000 and 3000 series rehab project. Considering the amount of layoffs, I'm sure it's disappointing for them. They'll be in running for the R179 project, though, and Metro may choose them again for another rehab project since the 4000s are due for their mid-life overhaul in 3-4 years.

On the other hand, I'm glad for Kawasaki, especially after Philly and Boston went with Hyundai-Rotem for their new commuter rail cars. They have a proven track record. No more tinfoil car bodies that get crushed like soda cans; stainless steel, baby! (j/k) I'm really interested to see who they choose for the propulsion system. I've always liked the Siemens propulsion on the R160Bs and PA-5s.

• 2 weeks later...

As happy I am to see Metro get new cars, it'll be sad to see the Rohrs go. They were the first set of cars the system had. I do hope some Rohr cars will go to museums. Personally, I'd like to see the Smithsonian and National Capital Trolley Museum get some!

Kawasaki's gonna make them? I was kinda hoping that they would chose Ansaldo-Breda or CAF. But with that style frontend, I think Kawasaki would be the best choice.

this will be interesting the 7000 series for metro

0700 series for boston

SilverlinerV's for septa

and M8s for MNRR

and and mabey the R179 in about 3years from now.

the sad part is i never rode an metro 1000 series Rohr car. hey the R32s are still going though@46years old.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the gray/brown scheme, but I would like to see them be updated!

I notice that most subway cars built since the 70s have a wider curve towards the bottom, like a pear! BART's cars have it, as do Metro's, MARTA's, CTA's, many of NYC's, Boston's, and SEPTA's M4's! Interesting design!

• 2 weeks later...
I'll miss the Rohrs. Very fast trains with a cool propulsion sound. It's definitely time for them to be laid to rest, though. Even with them now being "sandwiched" in the middle of 6 and 8 car consists, they're still vulnerable to "telescoping."

I was shocked when I saw that Alstom didn't win the contract. They did a good job with the 6000s as well as the 2000 and 3000 series rehab project. Considering the amount of layoffs, I'm sure it's disappointing for them. They'll be in running for the R179 project, though, and Metro may choose them again for another rehab project since the 4000s are due for their mid-life overhaul in 3-4 years.

On the other hand, I'm glad for Kawasaki, especially after Philly and Boston went with Hyundai-Rotem for their new commuter rail cars. They have a proven track record. No more tinfoil car bodies that get crushed like soda cans; stainless steel, baby! (j/k) I'm really interested to see who they choose for the propulsion system. I've always liked the Siemens propulsion on the R160Bs and PA-5s.

alstom still has a chance at the propulsion units on the 7000's, but not on the 4000 rehabs. those are part of the option in the 7000 series contract, so kawasaki will take care of those.

Archived