Vacuum Track cleaner question

LRG

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this work car used to vacuum trash off the tracks (such a monster does exist as it was seen on that New York Underground special on Discovery Times back in 2006 when I first saw it) and if anyone knows how often it runs. Thanks.

It spends more time in the shop then it does on the road. When it does run, there has to be a GO for it since it travels at 3 MPH when doing its thing. I think there are only 2 or them and they are a real waste of money. One of the units derailed at Smith-9th Street on it's first run.

It spends more time in the shop then it does on the road. When it does run, there has to be a GO for it since it travels at 3 MPH when doing its thing. I think there are only 2 or them and they are a real waste of money. One of the units derailed at Smith-9th Street on it's first run.

Heh, must be a waste of money if it hardly runs....

And nice vid Dave!

Sometimes they make trains run around it (make them run express a cretain part then switch back local)

So does each of those cars have like a huge vacuum on the bottom, or is there only one under the cab and each car is like a filter/storage area for the gunk and garbage? I

I remember they did a whole segment on it on the show Secrets of New York, but did not really show how exactly it works, except that workers must clean the trackbed of big pieces of garbage before the vacuum train can come through..

Is it because the train is so heavy that makes it slow or is it because they can't rush the train picking up all the crap in the tunnels?

I too remember seeing a segment about it a few years ago on probably a PBS station.

It goes slow so that it cleans better. Next time I'm in the yard, I'll take a good look at it.

Yes, both of them are almost always there. I know that they do have a facility for them a Linden Shop, but I don't know how often they are there.

I usally see it on my last trip back to Parsons during the Week on the flyover from the (L)arry Line...

Diesel or third-rail powered (car and vacuum)? If runs on VDC, I can only imagine how much power that draws.

I'd love to have Mike Rowe show us what kind of nastiness can be found in the bin on that thing. I always joke with the Sanitation guys, especially in the dead heat of summer and ask them if they ever bet the rookies to drink the hopper juice that drips out and onto the street. They always laugh, and one guy once said "Shhh... You didn't hear anything from me." :P

Sorry for the double-post guys. I backed my browser and reposted rather than editing my original.

Is that why there are G.O.s like "Trains run express from x to y due to track cleaning"? If so, why does 57 Street to 42 Street take 5 hours?:tdown::confused:

Well the work's being done at night in which there is little disturbance...I was on an (A) train at 12 in the morning last week Saturday and funny enough, the train was SRO...however, the G.O. states night work lasts from 12-5, although there could be a specific time frame in which the work is actually being done...could be from 12-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, could be two hours, three hours, four hours, or even half an hour. The point is, they set the G.O., trains go around the "work" being done, and the workers do their thing when it's time. When it's done it's done, although the G.O. isn't officially over until the paper states the time given when it's over, although sometimes, that's not always true....

Well the work's being done at night in which there is little disturbance...I was on an (A) train at 12 in the morning last week Saturday and funny enough, the train was SRO...however, the G.O. states night work lasts from 12-5, although there could be a specific time frame in which the work is actually being done...could be from 12-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, could be two hours, three hours, four hours, or even half an hour. The point is, they set the G.O., trains go around the "work" being done, and the workers do their thing when it's time. When it's done it's done, although the G.O. isn't officially over until the paper states the time given when it's over, although sometimes, that's not always true....

A GO is over when the supervisor in charge of it calls RCC and tells them work is complete and everyone is off the tracks.

Archived