Potential Bus Restructuring in Downtown Flushing July 2010

Amtrak7

Well, that would be a great idea, and if Bed Bath and Beyond did not take up all the floors in the Caldor building, maybe the (MTA) could also create a bus 'mega-stop/terminal' in the remaining floors just like the PABT's NJT Bus Terminal, just my opinion.

Well, the Pedestrian crowding is one thing, but it is obviously not controllable, the other thing is the Q58's terminal proximity with one of the (7) lines exit creates a major pedestrain choke-point.

IMO, the only way to kinda relieve the chokepoint is the (MTA) deciding to move the Q58 terminal to either by the Flushing Library or 39th Ave., it doesn't hurt to walk few extra steps. I also feel that no busses/cars should be allowed to stop too near the Main St. + Roosevelt Ave. intersection. Making it a total No Standing Zone.

IMO, all of "downtown" Flushing (as some people call it) really, is a major pedestrian choke-point....

I don't see how moving the Q58 terminal by the flushing library would ease/relieve the flow of pedestrians... surely you seen the lines 15-20+ people deep, that board that route at its current terminal... do you really think fusing those waiting (Q58) passengers in with the Q20/44 crowd (the main st side of the library) or fusing those same waiting passengers in w/ the Q17 & the 27 crowd (the kissena side of the library), is a viable solution?

if that's the case, ya may as well leave the 58 right where it is....

The one thing I do agree with, is, the fact that the crowding being uncontrollable.... Canal st is just as bad w/ pedestrians, but luckily there's no (city) buses that has to deal w/ that mess... esp. on the weekend...

Omg, every weekend I deal with that shit of a mess on Canal. Pedestrians constantly ignoring the stop signs and still proceding to walk and god knows how no one has been runned over yet. I think it may be a point they need pedestrian bridges to keep people off the street. That's the only way to keep traffic running smoothly imo.

Jamaica has one but it is for Long Island Bus only, Flushing needs one and the only possibility is if the Bed Bath and Beyond did not occupy all the floors in the Caldor Building and they could convert the upper floors of the building to a bus terminal modeled like the PABT, but I do not know if the building could handle such a weight...

Bed Bath and Beyond is not occupied at Caldor, they in that Sky Pac Center.

The Caldor building is turning into a shitty type small store - Asian flea market mall which Flushing really dont need that.

The only chance to get a decent bus terminal for MTA buy properties on Roosevelt Avenue along the Main Street subway station...... or buy the property of Flushing Mall parking lot or that Chinese restaurant with the large parking lot which is about 1 to 2 blocks away from Main Street subway station.

Jamaica has one but it is for Long Island Bus only, Flushing needs one and the only possibility is if the Bed Bath and Beyond did not occupy all the floors in the Caldor Building and they could convert the upper floors of the building to a bus terminal modeled like the PABT, but I do not know if the building could handle such a weight...

Even if you take existing buildings, you must remember that the buses coming in and out of said bus terminal won't contribute to A) amelioration of the congestion at Main, Roosevelt, Union and :P faster rides as a result of A. Which means, because you are concentrating all of the buses in a certain section of Flushing, you would end up having a choke point or a pressure spot surrounding that region because buses must use THAT particular terminal for drop offs and pick ups.

A bus terminal would only work if it guarantees separation of bus traffic and ordinary traffic as the buses enter/leave the terminal. I did suggest building an "elevated terminal" which would require the following:

-an elevated roadway only for buses above Roosevelt Avenue, with a spur onto Union. Also one on Main Street north of Roosevelt Avenue (you can't have one continuing south of that point because of the LIRR viaduct)

-entrance ramps onto Main Street (just south of Northern Blvd), Union Street (a little north of Roosevelt), Roosevelt (just east of Union and east of College Point Blvd)

-also a direct transfer to the subway

-platforms and shelters: one "bay" for a variety of services

The plus sides are:

-Segregation between buses and private traffic

-No need to demolish any existing buildings (and get the locals pissed)

^^^ That wouldnt work at all. You basically destroying downtown Flushing business with the ramps and elevated road that blocks the sun on the ground level. Flushing businesss in the history does not want elevated subway, I am sure they dont want an elevated road for a bus terminal.

MTA has a chance to buy the properties along Roosevelt Av that is not high rise, and they could also buy the Flushing Mall parking lot and that Chinese restaurant property with the large chunk of the parking lot.

I know it's not too close to Flushing but there could be a bus terminal built near Mets - Willets Point (7) station, and then the buses can go up Roosevelt Avenue and continue normal route @ Main Street, though routes like the Q44 and Q25/34/65 remain untouched since their first/last stop is not at Flushing. Buses that start/end at Flushing should end up starting at this imaginary terminal I'm thinking about, and then they take a 2 minute cruise to Flushing. This way buses won't be parked at Flushing for driver's breaks, but of course this terminal should provide bathrooms atleast.. Lol bathroom... Flushing... :-X Even an outdoor terminal would do perfectly fine. This would make some customers get off at Mets-Willets Point station to get a seat on the bus, while the rest are at Main Street, which slightly reduces boarding times.

But I can't think of any closer place for a terminal, there's simply no room.

I know it's not too close to Flushing but there could be a bus terminal built near Mets - Willets Point (7) station, and then the buses can go up Roosevelt Avenue and continue normal route @ Main Street, though routes like the Q44 and Q25/34/65 remain untouched since their first/last stop is not at Flushing. Buses that start/end at Flushing should end up starting at this imaginary terminal I'm thinking about, and then they take a 2 minute cruise to Flushing. This way buses won't be parked at Flushing for driver's breaks, but of course this terminal should provide bathrooms atleast.. Lol bathroom... Flushing... :-X Even an outdoor terminal would do perfectly fine. This would make some customers get off at Mets-Willets Point station to get a seat on the bus, while the rest are at Main Street, which slightly reduces boarding times.

But I can't think of any closer place for a terminal, there's simply no room.

How about on Main & Northern? There's a layover spot (wait for StreetView):

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=flushing,+ny&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Flushing,+New+York&ll=40.773652,-73.828897&spn=0.0366,0.055189&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.762976,-73.832656&panoid=_apIICgFEEE2miKrMmis3Q&cbp=12,34.61,,0,5.02&output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=flushing,+ny&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.545434,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Flushing,+New+York&ll=40.773652,-73.828897&spn=0.0366,0.055189&z=14&layer=c&cbll=40.762976,-73.832656&panoid=_apIICgFEEE2miKrMmis3Q&cbp=12,34.61,,0,5.02" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

^^^ That wouldnt work at all. You basically destroying downtown Flushing business with the ramps and elevated road that blocks the sun on the ground level. Flushing businesss in the history does not want elevated subway, I am sure they dont want an elevated road for a bus terminal.

MTA has a chance to buy the properties along Roosevelt Av that is not high rise, and they could also buy the Flushing Mall parking lot and that Chinese restaurant property with the large chunk of the parking lot.

For one thing though, it is not going to be the likes of the Grand Central Parkway or the Long Island Expressway. I am trying to experiment a way to have that kind of set-up and maximising the amount of sunlight that reaches street level. Also, it is much more faster to construct than say a terminal that sits at the site of an existing building.

If you want to raze existing buildings, that is even worse than building an elevated roadway for the buses. That is much more of a direct hit, because you have to force the businesses out of Roosevelt Avenue. And remember, if you construct a bus terminal in Flushing there will be new problems. You have to look at this: if you concentrate the buses in a certain spot, the streets surrounding the said terminal may be congested because there will be a set amount of entrances and exits. It's much more restrictive like that.

The mall managers won't be too happy with the MTA buying the lot, and also, Flushing Mall is a distance away from the heart of Flushing (basically Main from 39th to the library). Most of the shops and restaurants are either within the heart or slightly to the east. If the buses are sent to the Flushing Mall area, Flushing Mall may see an increase in patronage, but at the same time: businesses on Roosevelt between Main and Union won't do as great because the buses are shifted over there. The shops in the heart reap in patronage from the bus riders. So what I'm trying to do is, to have much more free movement for both buses and private vehicles and to allow existing businesses to benefit.

Now the problem with having a terminal out near Shea is that businesses, again, won't do as great. It would help during game days, but again, for practical uses, it's not as convenient.

Now the problem with having a terminal out near Shea is that businesses, again, won't do as great. It would help during game days, but again, for practical uses, it's not as convenient.
That's somewhat true but from my idea buses will still go by Flushing Main Street station, but they just start somewhere else near Shea Stadium, won't kill business that much, especially since Flushing the (7)'s last stop. Main idea here is to not have buses layover at Flushing but still have them serve Flushing.

That's somewhat true but from my idea buses will still go by Flushing Main Street station, but they just start somewhere else near Shea Stadium, won't kill business that much, especially since Flushing the (7)'s last stop. Main idea here is to not have buses layover at Flushing but still have them serve Flushing.

I think the best thing though (in the short term), is to redistribute the bus terminals and not have them as congregated as they are now. Like they should consider having a few buses end at Shea. And some here and there.

A terminal at Mets-Willets Point is a good idea. Basically, that will be the location where all buses that originate/terminate at Flushing will originate/terminate. Buses will run to Flushing, serve it, and leave. No layovers, and also bus traffic will end up being more concentrated rather than having many buses making the tight turns from the side streets onto Main. Use Roosevelt with a better traffic light with turning signals. The point about boarding delays is also valid.

This could also reduce crowding at the (7) station, Mets-Willets is an express stop anyway. It's not accessible though :P

A terminal at Mets-Willets Point is a good idea. Basically, that will be the location where all buses that originate/terminate at Flushing will originate/terminate. Buses will run to Flushing, serve it, and leave. No layovers, and also bus traffic will end up being more concentrated rather than having many buses making the tight turns from the side streets onto Main. Use Roosevelt with a better traffic light with turning signals. The point about boarding delays is also valid.

This could also reduce crowding at the (7) station, Mets-Willets is an express stop anyway. It's not accessible though :P

Two issues though: regardless of the space allotted, you must acknowledge that if you send all buses there, you are basically concentrating them. The deal with concentration is that it has an impact on the local streets. Can the local streets handle increased bus traffic without having a negative impact on both existing private traffic and the buses themselves?

I think the best thing though (in the short term), is to redistribute the bus terminals and not have them as congregated as they are now. Like they should consider having a few buses end at Shea. And some here and there.

Why move over there. That is going to major traffic congestion headache because of the baseball game, highway, plus that mall....

Plus, Roosevelt Avenue over the river is slated for rebuild soon....

Why move over there. That is going to major traffic congestion headache because of the baseball game, highway, plus that mall....

Plus, Roosevelt Avenue over the river is slated for rebuild soon....

That is why I said "deconcentrate" the bus termini. I did not say send them ALL to Shea. I only said consider having a few of them end at Shea.

That is why I said "deconcentrate" the bus termini. I did not say send them ALL to Shea. I only said consider having a few of them end at Shea.

The samething I wrote if you didnt read it carefully....

Even a few routes going to the park would only warrant a little ridership.

The samething I wrote if you didnt read it carefully....

Even a few routes going to the park would only warrant a little ridership.

You didn't make yourself clear.

Alright, thanks for the update and correction and the Caldor Building being turned into an Asian Flea Market is not really needed, the people can't even do business in the good ole' days in Flushing Mall.

Well, In my opinion for now, the (MTA) should just do what it planned, buying buildings and making businesses go out-of-business is not the best deal in these tough economic times.

Yeah, I agree you made a good point and now I feel keeping the busses on the streets are the better deal still, it isn't so bad today. IT would only benefit the long run probably.

TBH, we don't need another Asian flea market. There's too many of those. But that's what Flushing thrives on, apparently.

Archived