Potential Bus Restructuring in Downtown Flushing July 2010

Amtrak7

NYC DOT has released a plan to decrease traffic congestion in Downtown Flushing by using turn restrictions as the primary means of calming. The proposal is scheduled to be put into place in July, but there are also some longer-term aspects. The original proposal involved converting Main St and Union St into one-way streets, but that was found to be detrimental.

This is basically what will be done:

• Turns prohibited all times, all vehicles from Main St to Roosevelt Av.
  • Northern Blvd to Main St left turns prohibited, except for buses
  • Left turn prohibited northbound Union St to Northern Blvd
  • 40th Road/Prince St one-way segment will reverse direction
  • Buses from north use 39th Av to Roosevelt Av
  • Buses from south use the new 40th Rd to Roosevelt Av
  • New bus stops will be on Roosevelt Av or 40th Rd, WEST of Main St
  • Upgraded bus stop signs

I hope they will replace the MTA Bus route-number only signs with NYCT-style poles that have destination.

http://nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/flushing2.pdf

Any reactions?

I hope they will replace the MTA Bus route-number only signs with NYCT-style poles that have destination.

Any reactions?

MTA should do this for all of MTAB signs across all borough...bring it to modernization....Some of those DOT Signs are now missing or dangling by 1 screw...also MTA should add Schedules and Maps to the boxes of MTAB routes on the new signs and exisisting signs shared with NYCT.

NYC DOT has released a plan to decrease traffic congestion in Downtown Flushing by using turn restrictions as the primary means of calming. The proposal is scheduled to be put into place in July, but there are also some longer-term aspects. The original proposal involved converting Main St and Union St into one-way streets, but that was found to be detrimental.

This is basically what will be done:

• Turns prohibited all times, all vehicles from Main St to Roosevelt Av.

• Northern Blvd to Main St left turns prohibited, except for buses

• Left turn prohibited northbound Union St to Northern Blvd

• 40th Road/Prince St one-way segment will reverse direction

• Buses from north use 39th Av to Roosevelt Av

• Buses from south use the new 40th Rd to Roosevelt Av

• New bus stops will be on Roosevelt Av or 40th Rd, WEST of Main St

• Upgraded bus stop signs

http://nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/flushing2.pdf

Any reactions?

At this point any change in traffic flow is worth a shot. I know it will never happen but Roosvelt should be a permemanet 'pedertian' mall that only allows buses and truck develeries for local stores (daily 11pm-6am & up to 8am weekends) between College point and Union St IMO. If Broadway in Midtown Manhattan can be free of cars, why Roosevelt in Flushing?:confused:

I don't see the point.

When you start re-arranging streets in areas (in already heavy congested areas), it INcreases the congestion (and confusion amongst drivers) in that area....

Perfect example...

When they tried making Jamaica av (along the shopping strip over there in Queens) into a one-way street... How well did that go? Hell, better question is... how long did that LAST....

The damage has been done... without a centralized bus terminal, that area of Flushing, aint squat that can be done to rectify the poor traffic conditions... what doesn't help is the mass of pedestrian traffic over there, either...

They should consider building a large bus terminal to house all of those buses.

Where's the real estate? Unless you want to buy and demolish the Caldor building and evict the parking garage and a few other small businesses...

It's the best cheap-fix solution.

A better way would be a (7)<7> extension since that would cancel alot of bus routes. However, that's too expensive.

On a large scale, the importance of those routes would be lessened if that extension were to take place...

That doesn't directly equate to cancelling them out...

I hd said they should turn that into a terminal.

Also, I hope that any restructuring brings the Q58 closer. why should that end way out so far from all the other transfers?

Agreed...

- end the 58 where the 48 currently does...

- end the 48 a 1/2 block east, where the 12/15/26 ends....

(headways of the 26 & the 48 combined, is just about equivalent to a solitary bus route)

Where's the real estate? Unless you want to buy and demolish the Caldor building and evict the parking garage and a few other small businesses...

Caldor building is now turning into New World Mall.... crappy Asian flea type market shop is already over developing in that area.

Traffic will be even crappier when that giant mall at College Point Blvd. Sky View Center will have tenants and some are open: BJ's Warehouse, Best Buy, Old Navy, Target, Marshall's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples, Chuckle Cheese, Bob's Discount Furniture, Famous Footwear, Applebees, Sky Foods.

Next thing Flushing would need a Wal Mart in that area. . .

Caldor building is now turning into New World Mall.... crappy Asian flea type market shop is already over developing in that area.

Traffic will be even crappier when that giant mall at College Point Blvd. Sky View Center will have tenants and some are open: BJ's Warehouse, Best Buy, Old Navy, Target, Marshall's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Staples, Chuckle Cheese, Bob's Discount Furniture, Famous Footwear, Applebees, Sky Foods.

Next thing Flushing would need a Wal Mart in that area. . .

Ew. There are too many of those in the area. Here's a WILD idea: instead of razing buildings or crowd the streets, we build an elevated terminal along Roosevelt, Main and Union. There could be off-board fare collection and a physical connection to the subway could be thought about.

Ew. There are too many of those in the area. Here's a WILD idea: instead of razing buildings or crowd the streets, we build an elevated terminal along Roosevelt, Main and Union. There could be off-board fare collection and a physical connection to the subway could be thought about.

That sounds like a good idea, and they should make it nice and perdy so it wont look unsightly in the community :)

I hd said they should turn that into a terminal.

Also, I hope that any restructuring brings the Q58 closer. why should that end way out so far from all the other transfers?

<Q>58 is only 2 blocks from Roosevelt

that's not that bad but I am digging the Terminal Idea

Caldors needs to be turned into something worth while

<Q>58 is only 2 blocks from Roosevelt

that's not that bad but I am digging the Terminal Idea

Caldors needs to be turned into something worth while

True that it's only 2 blocks...

However, the problem is the swarm of pedestrians; the asian community comes out in full force, doing their shopping in the fish markets, the fruit stands, and all the other asian eateries along Main st (between the Q58 terminal, and Roosevelt/Main (for the subway))... That 2 block walk can take up to 5-7 minutes easily (assuming you're not a rude person, opting to bump ppl. out of the way as you're walking, etc. etc.).. When you're walking heel-to-toe-to-heel with the person in front of you, you get nowhere fast.... Walking on the other side of (opting to cross) Main st does ya no justice either; IMO the crowding is worse on that side...

I can't speak for EricB, but that's my biggest gripe w/ the Q58 terminal

Create a new bus-only lane next to the station entrance and create new bus shelters.

There's going to be an issue of enforcement. Like what B35 via Church said, it is too vague. Which street are you referring to? Besides, you have heavy private automobile traffic and those Chinese minibuses and they all jockey for space. You also have to account the traffic it gets from the truckers carrying goods to those Asian markets. It's not easy to enforce that with such an environment.

Archived