B.E.R.A. RT Weekend May1,2 Who's going

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

Maybe someone can answer this: on their Guest Operator page it says the fee is $50 for the operation and membership at the Associate level. But... Regular membership costs $40 and also gives you the right to operate cars. What's the difference?

When you sign up as a guest operator, the membership you get is Associate and you get one round trip operating on of the RT cars. The $40 Regular membership allows you to operate cars ONLY after you have passed motorman training. This training teaches you how to handle the cars (trolley cars ONLY, RT car traning only happens after several years of trolley operation and after aproval of the RT crews). The training also goes over how to give tours to the public, which if you can't do, you won't become a qualified operator. There are several other benifits to becoming a Regular member, for more informaion go to http://www.bera.org/

Maybe someone can answer this: on their Guest Operator page it says the fee is $50 for the operation and membership at the Associate level. But... Regular membership costs $40 and also gives you the right to operate cars. What's the difference?

INDman answered the second part of your question. I also want to add that the cost of Guest Operation is $30. However, ONLY museum members may operate, and one must have at minimum an associate level membership to Guest Operate, which costs $20.

Therefore, if you are not a member it will cost you $50 to guest operate (including your membership, which is good for the CALENDAR year). If at any time during the CALENDAR YEAR for which your membership is valid, you wish to Guest Operate again, the cost the second time will be $30 since you already have a membership.

Regular membership is required to operate cars for the public as a QUALIFIED operator, which involves passing a training course which includes knowing the history of the line, being able to interact with the public, and being able to safely and smoothly operate the car. To become a qualified operator, you need to pass the training course, and you must be at least 18 years of age to take the course.

That will qualify you on TROLLEY cars. If you want to run subway cars as a qualified operator, I wouldn't worry about that right now if I were you...that's a long way off and you got a lot to learn to do it first...

Also, just a friendly FYI. The museum won't tolerate any misbehavior, so if you go up please behave yourselves :P If you want to go up but don't wish to operate and just wish to take pictures or videos at least buy a ticket for a ride which is $8 dollars and will be valid for rides all day long. Every dollar the museum gets goes towards continuing to provide the public with a historical experience and to preserve the cars in the collection, including the RT equipment.

Also, just a friendly FYI. The museum won't tolerate any misbehavior, so if you go up please behave yourselves :P If you want to go up but don't wish to operate and just wish to take pictures or videos at least buy a ticket for a ride which is $8 dollars and will be valid for rides all day long. Every dollar the museum gets goes towards continuing to provide the public with a historical experience and to preserve the cars in the collection, including the RT equipment.

A museum visitor cannot GET down to the yard without paying the $8 admission at the Sprague station. The $8 admission is waived for Guest Operators who need only pay the Guest Operator fee.

In addition, here is (part of) something I put together last year in a thread for those thinking of coming up. This is serious if you are ready to do it, this is not time for "wylin' out" and other idiocy.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING IN ITS ENTIRETY:

-Get there early. There is a limited amount of time and guest operator spots available during the day. If you go late you may not get to operate.

Rules

-When operating, be aware of your surroundings and listen to your instructors. Remember that you are responsible for the lives of your passengers while you operate, even though you're "doing it for fun." You WILL get the cord pulled on you and "taken out of service" if you are operating recklessly or ignoring instructions.

-Operating at BERA is not like NYCT: While NYCT trains are run for efficiency and frequently maintained, Museum trains are run to minimize wear on the equipment and track. When something breaks, it takes a long time to fix, so take it easy. Handle your train gently. Listen to your instructors and go at the proper speed.

-No Foam. The equipment at BERA is literally priceless and cannot be replaced. If you are going to change signs fine but do not do that the whole day, and be gentle as you do it. Additionally, do NOT go into operator's cabs when you are not operating the train, and DO NOT touch ANY of the switches in the cab or on/under the train. It is not a toy. Stay off the roadbed, and out of the cabs (except when operating). Additionally stay out of the back of the yard and the shops as there is maintenance going on and you can be injured if you do not know what you are doing.

-Be polite to the crew. Thank them and stay out of their hair between runs. Not all of them are TA employees so do not bombard them with questions about where the latest R160s are going or what the latest car assignments will be.

So in Summary:

-Listen to your instructors.

-Remember that you are at a museum, not in the subway. Treat everything there with respect and operate as instructed.

-Remember that you are responsible for the lives of your passengers the second you get in that cab.

-The only time you should be in the cab is when you are operating.

-You should never be on the tracks at any time except at designated crossings.

-Listen to your instructors, and be courteous to them.

-No foam, no bull****

Got it?

Please do NOT PM me with questions about this post. THANK YOU. And of course donations to the museum are always welcome as well...

As an addendum to that, here is (part of) something I put together last year in a thread for those thinking of coming up. This is serious if you are ready to do it, this is not time for "wylin' out" and other idiocy.

That post summed it up perfectly.

Remember, real life train operation is not like BVE :P

How long is training? How long till training/operation for the R21 occurs if u can tell me?

I think i may just go =)!

INDman answered the second part of your question. I also want to add that the cost of Guest Operation is $30. However, ONLY museum members may operate, and one must have at minimum an associate level membership to Guest Operate, which costs $20.

Therefore, if you are not a member it will cost you $50 to guest operate (including your membership, which is good for the CALENDAR year). If at any time during the CALENDAR YEAR for which your membership is valid, you wish to Guest Operate again, the cost the second time will be $30 since you already have a membership.

Regular membership is required to operate cars for the public as a QUALIFIED operator, which involves passing a training course which includes knowing the history of the line, being able to interact with the public, and being able to safely and smoothly operate the car. To become a qualified operator, you need to pass the training course, and you must be at least 18 years of age to take the course.

That will qualify you on TROLLEY cars. If you want to run subway cars as a qualified operator, I wouldn't worry about that right now if I were you...that's a long way off and you got a lot to learn to do it first...

How long is training? How long till training/operation for the R21 occurs if u can tell me?

Don't worry, unless you have several years as a qualified operator behind you, learning to operate ANY of the RT equipment other then as a guest operator is a long time away.

If you don't want to operate (I don't as I hate doing it now), what does it cost to get in, and ride while one of you knuckleheads operate. If I am off Sun/Mon I might go, and SubwayGuy if he is going, will operate my vehicle (I ain't driving). It is an 8 passenger (7 comfortably) vehicle...........

If you don't want to operate (I don't as I hate doing it now), what does it cost to get in, and ride while one of you knuckleheads operate. If I am off Sun/Mon I might go, and SubwayGuy if he is going, will operate my vehicle (I ain't driving). It is an 8 passenger (7 comfortably) vehicle...........

I believe a ticket is $8

http://www.bera.org/schedule.html

$8 to get into the museum and go for a ride. Text me sometime this week about going up.

I'll be there on sunday with knight rider, i should carpool with you folks and save fuel.

I am planning to go.

If I can go, I might come get you two, since I see your locations are in the Bronx, then to Subwayguy, and Julio (if Julio is going). Don't know if knightrider is going, or if he is driving. KR PM me on what you gonna do, then if some of you need to take train to a meeting spot in Manhattan, we can work something out.........

If I can go, I might come get you two, since I see your locations are in the Bronx, then to Subwayguy, and Julio (if Julio is going). Don't know if knightrider is going, or if he is driving. KR PM me on what you gonna do, then if some of you need to take train to a meeting spot in Manhattan, we can work something out.........

I will be there this Saturday, might also go on Sunday.

I will be there this Saturday, might also go on Sunday.

Go on Sunday with us (again if I can go). There is no J or u or l or i or o in team.........

I'll know when I call Friday for my RDO's next week..........

As for Dan and Knightrider, if you are coming out of queens, then maybe you can get some of the folks out there to carpool. I'll take the Bronx, Manhattan, and will get my other buddy Julio, even if myself and SubwayGuy have to drag him out of his bed, kicking and screaming.........

Go on Sunday with us (again if I can go). There is no J or u or l or i or o in team.........

I'll know when I call Friday for my RDO's next week..........

Let me know if you do decide to go and I'll probably will go on Sunday as well.

Archived