What type of Orions do you prefer to Ride on?

I personally love the Orion V CNG buses, the oldest (101-316) diesel Vs, the ex-NYBS suburbans, and the new batch of Westchester Orion Vs. I have never been on any LIB buses so I do not know about their fleet. I feel this way because all of these buses can haul ass without a second thought. The V CNGs I have ridden on the QBx1 do 45-50 mph along the parkway without really straining and have been known to do 70+ on express runs. The older diesel Vs had power and long-distance stamina; they burned up the Bx25-26 at 35-45 mph with no problem, could sustain 55+ on the Q66 nonstop from Junction to Flushing, and were a real sight on the X32. The ex-NYBS buses are great because they are the only non-MCI single-door suburbans we own and despite their age are still regulars on the X32. Finally the new Bee-Line buses not only look new and sleek, but have one of the meanest engines I have ever seen. The last time I rode one, the driver was late and we tore down Central Park Av at at least 60 mph. As for the Orion VIIs of either generation, they get points for being relatively quiet and green, but they have issues withstamina, crowding, and engine strength. The NGs on the M60 whine and froan every time they have to leave a stop or a light, and the ones on the Bx26 are all starting to sound tired even though the oldest NGs are under two years old. The OGs that I have seen have the same issues. I would like to ride an Orion VI simply as a novelty because we only have one.

Archived