Naming Trains

Sorry, if this is a silly question, but I'm just curious.

I noticed on this site some of the trains are given names based on their letter, such as Nancy for (N) and Fox for (F)...

What are the names for all the trains?

Why the names? Are they more convenient for drivers/conductors or something?

I have named some trains, before discovering this site..for my own enjoyment (which may sound pretty silly). Since I'm huge on art, I named some after Old Masters/famous artists...and others some random "fancy" names: ©ezanne, (F)ernando, (G)hirardelli, (M2)ichelangelo, ®aphael, (V)ermeer...

...this may appeal to anyone here that enjoys art history, xD.

Sorry, if this is a silly question, but I'm just curious.

I noticed on this site some of the trains are given names based on their letter, such as Nancy for (N) and Fox for (F)...

What are the names for all the trains?

Why the names? Are they more convenient for drivers/conductors or something?

I have named some trains, before discovering this site..for my own enjoyment (which may sound pretty silly). Since I'm huge on art, I named some after Old Masters/famous artists...and others some random "fancy" names: ©ezanne, (F)ernando, (G)hirardelli, (M2)ichelangelo, ®aphael, (V)ermeer...

...this may appeal to anyone here that enjoys art history, xD.

The names aren't really official...only railfans use them AFAIK.

BTW, you forgot (L)eonardo (D)a (V)inci.

Phonetic alphabet. On a radio, it's easy to understand Adam Boy Charlie than A B C. C can sound like B D E G P V Z. It's a way of communicating information effectively and efficiently.

I see. Since it's a railfan creation, I'll stick to my names, xD.

I already named the (L) Elle (like the magazine) and (D)ominique, xD... Those aren't artist names, but they sound cool.

Phonetic alphabet. On a radio, it's easy to understand Adam Boy Charlie than A B C. C can sound like B D E G P V Z. It's a way of communicating information effectively and efficiently.

I see. That's what a lot of people do on the phone.

The "names" aren't really names but rather the Phonetic alphabet. The Phonetic alphabet is designed so that it uses words that which people cant confuse it with others words which would then be representative of another completely different letter.

If you speak on the phone with someone and would spell something out, you would say things like "B as in Boy" "D as in Dog". It minimises any potential ambiguity because certain letters have similar sounds. Plus certain speakers would confuse the sounds, such as nasals (M) and (N), especially in very fast speech. Or voiceless and voiced consonants, (p) and (:P, (T) and (D) etc...

The phonetic alphabet is a standard used for communicating between train personnel especially over on the radio. Just like you can't sometimes hear things properly on regular radio, these folks say "Bravo" in lieu of "B" to avoid getting confused with another line. Any miscommunication could mean putting the wrong switch (sending wrong trains down wrong routes) or misinforming passengers.

If you speak on the phone with someone and would spell something out, you would say things like "B as in Boy" "D as in Dog". It minimises any potential ambiguity because certain letters have similar sounds. Plus certain speakers would confuse the sounds, such as nasals (M) and (N), especially in very fast speech. Or voiceless and voiced consonants, (p) and (:P, (T) and (D) etc...

The phonetic alphabet is a standard used for communicating between train personnel especially over on the radio. Just like you can't sometimes hear things properly on regular radio, these folks say "Bravo" in lieu of "B" to avoid getting confused with another line. Any miscommunication could mean putting the wrong switch (sending wrong trains down wrong routes) or misinforming passengers.

The phonetic alphabet was developed by the military. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICAO_spelling_alphabet

Ah, I see.

If you speak on the phone with someone and would spell something out, you would say things like "B as in Boy" "D as in Dog". It minimises any potential ambiguity because certain letters have similar sounds.
You could always say "B as in Bog; D as in Doi!":p

You could always say "B as in Bog; D as in Doi!":p

Well true that. But the adopted NATO alphabet that got modified by personnel was used as a standard. So if one T/O says something, and another T/O says something else different, then there might be confusion. Just my theory, they just used what they had. Plus, perhaps many of the T/Os back then soived in the Second War, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Henceforth, they had knowledge of the NATO code, and modified it so that there was better comprehensibility.

Also I believe (Q) trains are Quinceys and not Quebecs.

But some railfans do give favorite subway lines a nickname:

* (B)eth

* ©atherine

* (E)lizabeth

LOL

Quincy. That too, I had my own list. But it's non-standard. Trains based out of ENY, JAM, Concourse get female names. 207/PITK, CIY get male names.

(A)lfred

(B)rian

©alvin

(D)iana

(E)mily

(F)iona

(G)race

(H)enry (Rockaway Shuttle)

(J)udy

(L)ily

(M2)iranda

(N)elson

(Q)uentin

®ita

(S)herman

(V)icky

(W)ill

(Z)oe

Well true that. But the adopted NATO alphabet that got modified by personnel was used as a standard. So if one T/O says something, and another T/O says something else different, then there might be confusion. Just my theory, they just used what they had. Plus, perhaps many of the T/Os back then soived in the Second War, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Henceforth, they had knowledge of the NATO code, and modified it so that there was better comprehensibility.

Quincy. That too, I had my own list. But it's non-standard. Trains based out of ENY, JAM, Concourse get female names. 207/PITK, CIY get male names.

(A)lfred

(B)rian

©alvin

(D)iana

(E)mily

(F)iona

(G)race

(J)udy

(L)ily

(M2)iranda

(N)ICHOLAS

(Q)uentin

®ita

(S)herman

(V)icky

(W)ill

(Z)oe

I see my name.

Also I believe (Q) trains are Quinceys and not Quebecs.

But some railfans do give favorite subway lines a nickname:

* (B)eth

* ©atherine

* (E)lizabeth

LOL

...like me, xD.

Yes Q's are Quincys.

The Q happens to be my favorite train because of the type of car... I haven't named it though, oddly enough. The letter Q is an odd letter..

(A)lfred

(B)rian

©alvin

(D)iana

(E)mily

(F)iona

(G)race

(J)udy

(L)ily

(M2)iranda

(N)elson

(Q)uentin

®ita

(S)herman

(V)icky

(W)ill

(Z)oe

I tend to give "curvy" trains female names (except (D)(F) and (R)) and flat ones male names, XD. ...I tend to equate curvy trains with female and flat looking trains male, XD...I'm weird, I know. :(

...like me, xD.

The Q happens to be my favorite train because of the type of car... I haven't named it though, oddly enough. The letter Q is an odd letter..

I tend to give "curvy" trains female names (except (D)(F) and (R)) and flat ones male names, XD. ...I tend to equate curvy trains with female and flat looking trains male, XD...I'm weird, I know. :(

Lol, we all have our preferences for our naming trains. I did it by yard. While the names are largely random, only two of them are done intentionally (the (E) and the (H))

lol i like this....ill give you some names:

Boys:

(A)-Albert

(;)-Brandon

(C)-Carl

(D)-Derick

(E)-Erick

(F)-Fransisco

(G)-Gregory

(H)-Henry

(J)-Jovany (my middle name, lol)

(K)-Kelso

(L)-Luis (my first name, lol)

(M2)-Marco

(N)-Nemo

(Q)-Quan

(R)-Richard

(S)-Samuel

(T)-Tito

(V)-Vinny

(W)-Will

(Z)-Zavier

Girls:

(A)-Ana

(B)-Brandy

(C)-Christina

(D)-Diana

(E)-Ericka

(F)-Franchesca

(G)-Gina

(H)-Hilda

(J)-Jennifer

(K)-Kiara

(L)-Leisa

(M)-Madeline

(N)-Natalie

(Q6)-Quianna

(R)-Reina

(S)-Sheneneh, lol im kidding, Shakira

(T)-Tania

(V)-Veronica

(W)-Wilma

(Z)-Zena

lol i like this....ill give you some names:

Boys:

(A)-Albert

(;)-Brandon

(C)-Carl

(D)-Derick

(E)-Erick

(F)-Fransisco

(G)-Gregory

(H)-Henry

(J)-Jovany (my middle name, lol)

(K)-Kelso

(L)-Luis (my first name, lol)

(M2)-Marco

(N)-Nemo

(Q)-Quan

(R)-Richard

(S)-Samuel

(T)-Tito

(V)-Vinny

(W)-Will

(Z)-Zavier

Girls:

(A)-Ana

(B)-Brandy

(C)-Christina

(D)-Diana

(E)-Ericka

(F)-Franchesca

(G)-Gina

(H)-Hilda

(J)-Jennifer

(K)-Kiara

(L)-Leisa

(M)-Madeline

(N)-Natalie

(Q6)-Quianna

(R)-Reina

(S)-Sheneneh, lol im kidding, Shakira

(T)-Tania

(V)-Veronica

(W)-Wilma

(Z)-Zena

lol I still prefer Emily for (E)

Since everyone's in the mood for it:

Male names:

(A)lbert

(B)rian

©harlie

(D)onald

(E)van

(F)red

(G)ilbert

(H)enry

(J)ames

(L)eonard

(M)ichael

(N)icholas

(Q)uentin

®obert

(S)herman

(T)imothy

(V)incent

(W)ill

(Z)achary

Female names:

(A)da

(B)onnie

©hristine

(D)iana

(E)mily

(F)iona

(G)race

(H)elen

(J)udy

(L)ily

(M)iranda

(N)ancy

(Q)uennie

®ita

(S)arah

(T)ina

(V)eronica

(W)innie

(Z)oe

You should come up with your own! It'd be more fun.

It is! ...I really gave my names some thought.

Let's see...I'll write my names for most, if not all (some I already mentioned):

(A)shly (not artsy or fancy, yes girly...this name really suits the A for me)

©ezanne (male artist of the post impressionist era...suits the C, an older train)

(D)anny (hm, sounds alot better than Dominique...I picture the D an avid Yankees fan and this name fits that role).

(E)vencia (French sounding name)

(F)ernando (cool Spanish name)

(G)hirardelli (I can't tell if this name is male or female..but the G seems girly..curves)

(J).....my name, xD

(L)...Elle (a pretty name..like the magazine)

(M2)ichelangelo....after they put the new trains in...I feel like I have to find a girl name

(N)ancy

(Q)uincy (I like this name even though the Q seems female to me...a girl Quincy)

®aphael (Renaissance artist)

...I'll name the others when the right name comes to me..

Archived