R46 E train spotted today

QM1to6Ave

Yeah, That happend before, So it does happen sometimes, those Jamaica R160's are being abused, With graffitti so, Expect to see something different on the (E) sometimes, too late for R32's since they are at 207th.

All the 160s are getting graffitti on them from all yards have you seen some on the (J) line much worse than the (E). On sunday I was on a (Q) train which is based out of the Coney Isalnd yard and it had graffitti too. Jamaica is maintaining the 160s about as well as the Coney island and ENY yards. Why do so many people rag on the Jamaica yard I think they a good job maintaining cars for five lines including the lines which has the most trainsets the (F).

All the 160s are getting graffitti on them from all yards have you seen some on the (J) line much worse than the (E). On sunday I was on a (Q) train which is based out of the Coney Isalnd yard and it had graffitti too. Jamaica is maintaining the 160s about as well as the Coney island and ENY yards. Why do so many people rag on the Jamaica yard I think they a good job maintaining cars for five lines including the lines which has the most trainsets the (F).

Let me put it this way, F*CK JAMAICA YARD...that yard is nothing but a junkyard that can't rotate their trains efficiently to make sure they're even taken care of properly...you go to any other yard and you won't see their trains being stored on express tracks during non-weekday hours making their trains easy targets for vandals and such. That's inexcusable. Coney Island's cars look dirty but at least they're maintained well and get the mechanical attention needed. East New York takes excellent care of their NTTs aesthetically and mechanically but blame the passengers on the (J) line for littering and what not.

Jamaica has always had a bad rep for car maintenance.

Let me put it this way, F*CK JAMAICA YARD...that yard is nothing but a junkyard that can't rotate their trains efficiently to make sure they're even taken care of properly...you go to any other yard and you won't see their trains being stored on express tracks during non-weekday hours making their trains easy targets for vandals and such. That's inexcusable. Coney Island's cars look dirty but at least they're maintained well and get the attention. East New York takes excellent care of their NTTs but blame the passengers on the (J) line for littering and what not.

Jamaica has always had a bad rep for car maintenance.

Totally incorrect they store trains on the weekends and latenights on the express tracks and one of the stations Van wyck Briarwood has a police staion with cameras all over and another one Union Turnpike is right under the Queens Court building. I guess you never been done the 4th Ave express tracks between 45th and 53rd st southbound at night where they store (R) trains at night. By the way how many of Jamaica trains do you see are heavily tagged from the express track layovers. Please no what you talking about before shooting off your mouth.

Totally incorrect they store trains on the weekends and latenights on the express tracks and one of the stations Van wyck Briarwood has a police staion with cameras all over and another one Union Turnpike is right under the Queens Court building. I guess you never been done the 4th Ave express tracks between 45th and 53rd st southbound at night where they store (R) trains at night. By the way how many of Jamaica trains do you see are heavily tagged from the express track layovers. Please no what you talking about before shooting off your mouth.

Oh please do me a favor and don't go there...just because you have cameras at stations doesn't necessarily mean that will deter the vandals from tagging a canvas on wheels. Why?

IT'S AN EASY TARGET for them regardless of what!

For the record Jamaica has had a bad rep since the days R10s were prominent at Jamaica Yard because they ran them into the ground. This is coming from a T/O I know who has operated the R10s and has roughly 30 years seniority. I'll admit Jamaica is improving but they have a long way to go in terms of car maintenance. Have you ever spoken to any (E)/(F)/(G)/®/(V) T/Os or any crew workers at 71st Avenue by any chance?

I would say security should be beefed up system wide, so that's not an 'issue'.

I still blame how poorly Jamaica yard treated the R32s especially 2008 when most of the trains in the summer had non-working a/cs. This forced them to make the (E) all R46s and some R42s for a day or two.

The yard has way too many trains to maintain. It's sorta like a Yukon or Castleton type.

As for 'Jamaica yard doing better', well of course they should, they've gotten an influx of R160s which makes the fleet age much younger and at the moment less work. But let's see how things goes 20-40 years down the road when those cars have seen a few decades of service.

Thankfully with this (M) service, that's one less line that yard has to deal with.

I still blame how poorly Jamaica yard treated the R32s especially 2008 when most of the trains in the summer had non-working a/cs. This forced them to make the (E) all R46s and some R42s for a day or two.

The yard has way too many trains to maintain. It's sorta like a Yukon or Castleton type.

As for 'Jamaica yard doing better', well of course they should, they've gotten an influx of R160s which makes the fleet age much younger and at the moment less work. But let's see how things goes 20-40 years down the road when those cars have seen a few decades of service.

Thankfully with this (M) service, that's one less line that yard has to deal with.

With 160s abundantly at Jamaica they'll be given primary yard space and push the excess 46s to the express "layup" tracks.

A car with a few open seats is nice, but never get in the car that has only 1 passenger during rush hour.

Hah, well, the big pile of shit/vomit/piss on the floor in that car should serve as a quick alerter.

GC you have made a valid point and in 20-40 years we can determine if Jamaica did a good job with the 160s but to prove my point the 46s are 35 years old and have spent the balance of their lives at the Jamaica Yard and they are in excellent shape. This tells me the Jamaica Yard is doing something right and just oppose the to the 44s from the pitkin and 207 yards that they are scrapping now.

No, R44s have a carbody flaw that is killing it. So that already is its handicap. If it had been 100% stainless steel sides like the R46s, it would still be around. So 207th/Pitkin are doing the best they can with the R44s, but they can't save them.

Even if you reversed it with R46s at Pitkin/207th and R44s at Jamaica yard, Jamaica yard can't save the R44s.

As for Jamaica yard, they've made the then 'newer cars' R46s the top priority and leaving R32s in the tunnels [with the motors on from what someone told me]. So R32s were treated as 2ndary cars there. So while Jamaica yard focuses on the R160s, watch them treat the R46s like 2nd class cars. They really need another yard or expand it to handle all the cars there.

With 160s abundantly at Jamaica they'll be given primary yard space and push the excess 46s to the express "layup" tracks.

Incorrect again if you lived in Queens you will know at 75th ave they lay up all the (E) trains on the northbound track between 75th and union turnpike and on the southboud 75th ave track they lay up an (R). Between Van wyck Briarwood and 169st northbound they lay up (F) and some (V) trains northbound. Then at 169st they lay up (E) trains for the one that use 179st as their terminal during am rush. The layup tendencies have nothing to do with car types it has to do with what is convenient for the am rush.

No, R44s have a carbody flaw that is killing it. So that already is its handicap. If it had been 100% stainless steel sides like the R46s, it would still be around. So 207th/Pitkin are doing the best they can with the R44s, but they can't save them.

Even if you reversed it with R46s at Pitkin/207th and R44s at Jamaica yard, Jamaica yard can't save the R44s.

As for Jamaica yard, they've made the then 'newer cars' R46s the top priority and leaving R32s in the tunnels [with the motors on from what someone told me]. So R32s were treated as 2ndary cars there. So while Jamaica yard focuses on the R160s, watch them treat the R46s like 2nd class cars. They really need another yard or expand it to handle all the cars there.

You can't expand the Jamaica yard because it is surrounded by the Van Wyck Expressway, the Grand Central Parkway and Flushing Meadow Park. There is no way to expand that yard impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
True, but it is practical for a Rush Hour fill-in, :(...

The thing is, if there are extra sets of R160s hanging out at JAM and the Echo needs them for put ins, they get sent down to the Echo. If no R160s are available at the yard, then R46s get thrown in.

The thing is, put ins are not the same as regular car assignments. Regular car assignments provide the base level of service. Delays or any other unexpected service pattern is generally not reflected in these. Put ins should be seen as contingency measures, in which case a train is delayed or that there is a huge increase in ridership for a certain day that is unexpected such to warrant the addition of trains.

That's why spare trains are needed.

So again, the Echo can get whatever is available at JAM for a lay up. Preferably R160s. BUT, car assignments give it a 100% R160 base fleet.

Not really, at least not anymore. Since Jamaica is losing the (V) and ENY is running the (M), that's at least 18 less trains Jamaica will need. That's 18 less trains they have to lay up on the express tracks, or 18 less trains taking up space in the yard. If they ever go ahead with sending the (G) to CI yard then that's an additional 5-6 trains freed up from the yard. After the cuts Jamaica Yard shouldn't be overcrowded.

Incorrect again if you lived in Queens you will know at 75th ave they lay up all the (E) trains on the northbound track between 75th and union turnpike and on the southboud 75th ave track they lay up an (R). Between Van wyck Briarwood and 169st northbound they lay up (F) and some (V) trains northbound. Then at 169st they lay up (E) trains for the one that use 179st as their terminal during am rush. The layup tendencies have nothing to do with car types it has to do with what is convenient for the am rush.

This is true. Many of the layups on the QB express tracks are R160s.

Yeah, you are right, it is always good to keep a line one-fleet, unless if there is no same fleet train, :P...

I don't see the point in replying back to him if you just repeated what he said.

Whatever...

If you don't understand my english then you don't understand some other's english on this forum too, your tourist helpfulness rating is F-...

STFU already!!!

Archived