Armando Galarraga throws perfect game but Jim Joyce screwed it up

R160

I just saw the highlights on SportsCenter, and this umpire is a veteran,21 years. Couldn't the umpires all get together and over turn the call? Armando Galarraga has a lot of class. Just about everybody else lost it and this guy looked so calm.

What a catch by center fielder Austin Jackson in the 9th inning,wow.

I really feel bad for Jim Joyce. He knows that he screwed it up and was beating himself up after the game.

But you know what? That's baseball. It's a game where emotions can swing wildly from one way to the other. You feel for Galarraga, but it's Joyce who will probably never live it down for the rest of his life.

MLB will very likely not give Galarraga his perfect game, but he should have his cap & ball up in Cooperstown with those who did throw "official" perfectos.

Umpires are human too, and Jim Joyce is no exception, he took the blame for the "blown" call and let's forgive him. Of course the Tigers' pitcher isn't mad, but yes it would have been the third perfect game this season alone.

Worst call I've seen in a while. Hopefully baseball does the right thing and grants him the perfect game. Even the batter looked like he felt bad after he was called safe on the replay. Since it didn't impact the actual outcome of the game, MLB should do the right thing and reverse the call.

Poor Joyce. I've heard that his family has been threatened because of the call. Do you notice that everyone except Galarraga himself have been wanting to reverse the decision? Armando never had a fit about it.

Man no wonder our country has problems. What the hell are Mich. Political leaders such as their Governor trying to 'pass laws' that demands instant replay?

Here news link.:tdown:http://www.freep.com/article/20100603/NEWS15/100603008/Granholm-Dingell-Stabenow-applaud-Galarragas-game

yeah, pass laws about implementing instant replay in baseball b/c this perpetrator (Joyce) "missed" a call...

(the more this guy wears his heart on his sleeve, the more insincere I think his apology is.... like I said in the baseball thread, these umps want to be seen & heard;

think about it... when was the last time you saw a umpire, in uniform, behind a microphone, on television? you don't think he's eatin that all up....

I'm convinced now, it's all for show; it hurts his heart to cost this kid a perfect game? I call shenanigans... I call his bluff... I call bullshit.... those crocodile tears dude displayed was the straw that broke the camel's back for me)

pfft... pass laws... but yet someone who's tested positive for somethin like.... steroids, has "three strikes" before he's banned from the sport... where's the outcry from these hypocrital politicians for passing tougher laws on that?

the hell with fading footsteps in the distance of said hypocrites.... I don't even hear the crickets - that's when you know it's bad.

...and don't ya just love how Selig is tryna appease players, fans, and the umpires all in the same statement.... it's time we at least consider a change, but there's still a need for the human element.. and the integrity... and all the other anti-instant replay jargon he has downpacked on first instinct ready to spew.... but I digress....

....now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

(the more this guy wears his heart on his sleeve, the more insincere I think his apology is.... like I said in the baseball thread, these umps want to be seen & heard;

think about it... when was the last time you saw a umpire, in uniform, behind a microphone, on television? you don't think he's eatin that all up....

I'm convinced now, it's all for show; it hurts his heart to cost this kid a perfect game? I call shenanigans... I call his bluff... I call bullshit.... those crocodile tears dude displayed was the straw that broke the camel's back for me

Wow, what a cynic. :tdown:

Wow, what a cynic. :tdown:

you're welcome..

I'll take my chances being cynical over being gullible....

Commissioner Bud Selig has said the call stands. The game ends as a one-hit shutout.

yeah, he wasn't gonna amend the status of that game b/c an umpire screwed up on a call...

....there would be a hell of a lot of MLB games that would have had its outcome changed if that were the criteria.... lol...

so, as quite a few ppl. have stated, this blown call is somethin Jim Joyce is gonna have to live with for the rest of his life....

I mean, how much more false tears does he have to shed to portray how sorry he is....

in the words of art carney:

"nothin from nothin... leaves nothin"

The players said that he was taking it hard and I believe that he was truly feeling horrible about it. Jim Joyce has always been known as someone who is tough, and tough guys generally don't show emotions...especially umpires.

I believe that his emotions were real (considering how red his face and neck were) and I had made up my mind about him that very same night after he made the call and talked to the media. Regardless, all he wants to do is be a regular umpire again. With time that'll happen, though he'll always be connected to Galarraga.

The players said that he was taking it hard and I believe that he was truly feeling horrible about it. Jim Joyce has always been known as someone who is tough, and tough guys generally don't show emotions...especially umpires.

I believe that his emotions were real (considering how red his face and neck were) and I had made up my mind about him that very same night after he made the call and talked to the media. Regardless, all he wants to do is be a regular umpire again. With time that'll happen, though he'll always be connected to Galarraga.

Which is exactly why the commissioner is a joke. This was a mistake and to his credit Joyce was one of the first to admit it. In all my time following baseball I have never seen an umpire react to a bad call as Joyce did (most defend their call or refer to it as a "judgment call") and Joyce just admitted that it was a bad call and a "terrible mistake." The call ultimately was meaningless except in denying the perfect game, so why can't the commissioner do something and reverse it? Joyce certainly wouldn't have argued had he done so. Just proves what a joke Bud Selig is.

Which is exactly why the commissioner is a joke. This was a mistake and to his credit Joyce was one of the first to admit it. In all my time following baseball I have never seen an umpire react to a bad call as Joyce did (most defend their call or refer to it as a "judgment call") and Joyce just admitted that it was a bad call and a "terrible mistake." The call ultimately was meaningless except in denying the perfect game, so why can't the commissioner do something and reverse it? Joyce certainly wouldn't have argued had he done so. Just proves what a joke Bud Selig is.

Not to get too off topic, but remember Selig came to power 15 years ago because of the strike of '94/'95 and is a former owner of the brewers.

Selig is a puppet of the owners and thus is really a 'chief spokesmen' of the league. The MLB Owners do not want an 'outsider' to be MLB Boss and thus a real commissioner may never be selected again.

Money and profits is all that matters to almost all of the current MLB Owners as we saw during the recently passed 'steriods' era as legit records were tainted.:confused::P

The Steinbrenner family, White Sox Owner Jerry Reisndorf and Red Sox Chief Owner John Henry have most of the power among 'management' in baseball right now.

Archived