Fmr Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner Died

Guest Lance

Guest lance25

From wcbstv.com

George Steinbrenner, who rebuilt the New York Yankees into a sports empire with a mix of bluster and big bucks that polarized fans all across America, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

Full story here

Full story here

I knew he was sick,but I am in shock. RIP George,I always hated the Yankees and still do but I always respected the way he handled things. His passion for winning was second to none. This is a very sad day for baseball,going to check out the mlb.com forums now.

Full story here

Correction Lance. He was still Owner of the team but no longer running day-day operations.

This is a shock. At a loss of words. Despite his many mistakes and controversial acts, The Boss is one of the best Owners in history of sports bar none.

Got to be honest but Steinbrenner belongs in the Baseball Hall of Fame as Owner/Exec.

RIP The Boss.:cry:

topstory_amd_steinbrenner.jpg

:cry:

Story From The New York Daily News Friday October 5, 1973: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/1973/Yanks_Sold_for_20_Million.html

From a business view not just sports this was one of the best investments ever. George and his buddies buys the team for about close to $10 Million in 1973 and now almost 40 years the team alone is worth at least $1.5 Billion.

And arguably the most famous and valuable sports club in the world.

From a business view not just sports this was one of the best investments ever. George and his buddies buys the team for about close to $10 Million in 1973 and now almost 40 years the team alone is worth at least $1.5 Billion.

And arguably the most famous and valuable sports club in the world.

He only put in $168,000 of his own money back then,before he started to buy out his partners. He made what the Yankees are today. Nobody can copy and do what he did,nobody.

He only put in $168,000 of his own money back then,before he started to buy out his partners. He made what the Yankees are today. Nobody can copy and do what he did,nobody.

This, even further proves this was a genuis move by George and one of the best business purchases i.e. along w/ Bill Gates creating Microsoft and investing in Coke Cola stock early in the 20th Century ever.

And in honor of St Louis here a classic clip of George and the "Boss' from Seinfeld.

He will be missed, there will never be anyone like him. Love him or hate him, but you have to respect how much he wanted to win. At least he gave a damn about his team unlike teams like the Pirates and such.

Agreed 100%. I am sure the 'haters' of Steinbrenner wished deep in their hearts he would own their team. I would be an outrage if he George next year in 2011 is not put in the MLB Hall of Fame and I am not saying this as a Yankee fan.

I also felt that three other people, former Cardinals Outfielder Curt Flood(if you don't guys who he is please do a google search)1960/70's era Oakland A's Owner Charles Finley and the first head of the Baseball Players Union Marvin Miller should also be selected to Cooperstown as executives/historic figures as they helped turned baseball into a Multi-Billion Dollar International business. Those 3 along with George helped turn MLB Owners into Billionaries and MLB Players into Millionaries.

Bar now the best owner IMO in baseball history and arguably among the best ever in pro sports history.:P

Here a clip of the end of the 1977 world series aka the Reggie Jackson 3-homer game in which George wins his first world series in post game celebrations.

FYI. The Clubhouse reporter is Bill White long time Yankee TV Broadcaster/analyst in the 1970's and '80's when ABC-TV showed this classic WS.

anyone plan to go to Friday game at Yankee Stadium for tributes to both the "Boss' and Mr. Sheppard?

FYI. MLB Network and ESPN classic has been running all day highlights of memorable Yankee during George's rein from the Chris Chambliss walk off home run in '76 ALCS to the '98 world series. Also low lights like Game 7 of 2001 world series and game 7 of ALCS as well.

God, that was a great year, wasn't it? Our first World Series championship under Mr. Steinbrenner and Billy Martin was at his best those first two and one half years.

We win the A.L. East in a nice race with the Orioles and Red Sox, beat the Royals again then meet the Dodgers for the first time since 1963.

Mr. Steinbrenner looked very good in those days.

I got a chance to see George Steinbrenner's Yankeeography. It was great and it showed the true man he was. I didn't know he had a High School and pediatric wing named after him in addition to Legends Field being renamed after him.

To be fair the 2x George was suspened i.e illegal contribuations to Pres. Nixon and paying a criminal to dig dirt on Winfield was jusitifed.

After the 2-year exile in 1993 Steinbrenner finally 'grew up' and became a great supporter for the little man and those who were very sick.

Again other than Bill Gates in recent years has a Billionarie like Steinbrenner donated tens of millions or even more to charities and to those who were sick or really needed it.

To those critics out there who will oppose George be selected to the MLB Hall of fame I say this? Why?

He has won 7 World Series during his rein and made all of the clubs in MLB worth at least $200 Million or more to buy.

If you bring up the fact Steinbrenner was a 'felony' how about Ty Cobb a former leader of the Ku Klax Klan? Or drunks/drug addicts like Babe Ruth and many more.

Just my takes.

One of my favorite Steinbrenner stories was back in the 80's and the Yankees had gotten knocked out in the playoffs. The very next day in Tampa Bay at the Yankee offices the very first person that George sees which was a receptionist,she says good morning Mr. Steinbrenner and he replies back..."You're fired."....she starts crying and it took other people that were working with her at the time to calm her down and they eventually convinced George not to fire her.

He was so mad at the time that he probably would have fired any Yankee employee within his sight,lol. George hated to lose even in a meaningless spring training game. I had tears in my eyes when I read that George passed away. Sure he had many enemies but they were outnumbered by his loyal fans 10-1. RIP: The Boss:cry:

Archived