Ever ride the R110's?

Robert Bosco

Did anyone ride the R110A or B when they were in service? From what you remember, were they anything like the R142, 143 and 160's?

Yup I rode the R110B once as a little kid heh, was out riding with my Dad going from B'way Nassau to 59/CC, and the R110B pulls in on the N/B plat signed up as an (A)pple. Train was awesome, unlike anything I'd been on before. We had the White seat interior which personally i liked better than the green. I don't remember the propulsion sounds, I'm told their similar to some of the T subway cars in Boston, have to check it out sometime and see if it "jogs" my memory. The cars definitely LOOKED great (better than the R142/143/160), but they didn't have as many features like the bright LED's. However they did have huge rollsigns in the front and LCD displays like the R46 above the rollsign that displayed the destination. There were also similar on the car's side signs, and similar displays inside the car (where the interior displays are on the R142/R143/R160) but they were black dots on yellow background again a la R44/R46. They also had interior "handles" as opposed to "straps" or "just poles" and a tape passenger alarm similar to the stop request on buses. Ride was real smooth too, good acceleration, smooth braking. While they had many of the features that would go into the R142/143/160 they really didn't feel like those cars at all - the atmosphere was much better in the car and you just felt like you were in what I can now describe somewhat accurately as a combination of an M7/A and an R46.

I'd always hope they'd run that last 3 car set again for something, don't know much about those trains only that the middle car was a trailer with no motors which makes you wonder if 2 car sets could run. I'd love to see those cars on, say, the Franklin Shuttle if that were possible (since where else in the B Division are you gonna run that short of a train)...the R110B was probably the coolest subway ride I ever had, even as a little kid then. Never caught or saw it again though unfortunately, even when it ran on the ©harlie...

As for the R110A, I used to see that train whizzing by express on the deuce from 79/Broadway fairly often - at least 4-5 different times that I can remember - but never caught it or saw it stopped at a station long enough I might be able to take a one stop ride just for the heck of it.

I rode the R110B twice !!! The first time was unexpected and the second time we saw it on the (C) so my mom told us that we were getting off at Jay Street, then that R110B© Train came and we jumped on it......My mom knew how much I liked Trains..... ;(

The first time was when i had to go to lefferts blvd to those plane ticket agencys for my uncle, I was 5 Years old at the time. He was returning to trinidad so we went to the ticket agent at 126th and liberty. Then as we got back, we jumped on a train with a completely white interior, LED Signs inside the train. And that brand new smell. There is only one thing im trying real hard to remember....the proplusion sounds ! >.<

I rode the R110A before and it was much better than the R142/A i will never forget it. It was during 1998 i was at times square station waiting for the (2) train to come. And i thought a greatbird was going to come as im waiting at the station. Guess what comes into the station the R110A!!!!! it was so awsome and it looked so cool as i foamed to a puddle then the inside was even better!!!. The seating was really cool and it rode great had a nice smooth ride and cool lighting and a cool stripmap which the was the (2) line.

Then after that i never seen it in service again.

I have seen a R110B in person, but never rode it.

I remember riding a R110A only once on the (2) from 149 Street- 3 Avenue to 72 Street. I remember the red seats, and the door closing tone sounding like a siren. Thats all I could remember

Archived