Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

I think the format should be changed. I never got why the Superbowl is played in a so-called neutral place. It should be played at the home of whoever has the best record overall like in other sports.

They don't want the superbowl played in cold weather, hence the games are always @ places with warm climates or dome/retractable roof stadiums. However NYC will host an superbowl in a few years, I hope its 20 degrees and snowing!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the format should be changed. I never got why the Superbowl is played in a so-called neutral place. It should be played at the home of whoever has the best record overall like in other sports.

I explain briefly why Garibaldi why the super bowl is played at a neutral site. Just like the NHL had a rival hockey league the WHA(World Hockey Association)in the 1970's before those 2 leagues merged, so did the NFL.

Ditto for the National Baseball League had with the American League before they merged around 1903 and the world series of baseball was created.

The American Football League the division the Jets play in was formed in 1961 because the NFL refused to expand. After several years, the AFL was merged into the NFL in 1966 and thus the NFL Championship game the oringal name of American Football championship game was renamed the super bowl.

The reason why (still exists today)the super bowl is played at a neutral site is that the former AFL Owners and then NFL Owners could not agree on a home format to host that title game. Thus following Soccer's world cup Final that the reason it's held at a neutral site. Hope it answers your question. Trainfan is also partially right in that the Owners don't want to play in cold weather and thus another reason is played at either warm climates or indoor stadiums.

FYI. The Pittsburgh Steelers like the Cleveland Browns and the current Indy Colts was switched to the current AFC Division in 1969 after realignment.

I explain briefly why Garibaldi why the super bowl is played at a neutral site. Just like the NHL had a rival hockey league the WHA(World Hockey Association)in the 1970's before those 2 leagues merged, so did the NFL.

Ditto for the National Baseball League had with the American League before they merged around 1903 and the world series of baseball was created.

The American Football League the division the Jets play in was formed in 1961 because the NFL refused to expand. After several years, the AFL was merged into the NFL in 1966 and thus the NFL Championship game the oringal name of American Football championship game was renamed the super bowl.

The reason why (still exists today)the super bowl is played at a neutral site is that the former AFL Owners and then NFL Owners could not agree on a home format to host that title game. Thus following Soccer's world cup Final that the reason it's held at a neutral site. Hope it answers your question. Trainfan is also partially right in that the Owners don't want to play in cold weather and thus another reason is played at either warm climates or indoor stadiums.

FYI. The Pittsburgh Steelers like the Cleveland Browns and the current Indy Colts was switched to the current AFC Division in 1969 after realignment.

Yeah, the whole thing is dumb. I mean football is a cold weather sport, so the notion of it being played in a dome or nice place weather wise is stupid. Could you imagine how much better today's would've been at Lambeau Field?

Yeah, the whole thing is dumb. I mean football is a cold weather sport, so the notion of it being played in a dome or nice place weather wise is stupid. Could you imagine how much better today's would've been at Lambeau Field?

I agree. Or playing at Heinz Stadium in Pittsburgh as well. You right (Garibaldi)that the team with better regular season record should host the game like in the NHL or NBA Finals. Or even a compromise in which the AFC and NFC winner 'rotate' every other year as the host.

However the super bowl has become such a big event, and money maker I doubt this format will ever change.

That because the Steelers and Packers play in different conferences and play each other every 3-4 years in regular season.

Many years ago in the early days of the NFL pre super bowl era(pre 1966 season)the Steelers and Packers played each other

1x a year.

They last met in Dec. 2009. So that probably the reason.

The Steelers and Packers did not play each other every year since they were in different confrences. The Steelers were in the Eastern Confrence while the Packers were in the Western.

The AFL's first year was 1960, but the merger did not happen until 1970. The first Super Bowl was 1966 and it was between the NFL winner and the AFL winner. From 1966 to 1969, each league had their own championship game and the winner of that game advanced to the Super Bowl.

The SB neutral venue format probably won't change since the NFL is concerned about having arrangements for the Super Bowl well ahead of time. I also wish it was not played at a neutral site. Between the SB being a huge "event" and the stupid week before it, I look more forward to the Confrence Championship round than the Super Bowl. Since the Steelers were the higher seeded team, it would have been a lot better if it was at Heinz Field.

The Steelers and Packers did not play each other every year since they were in different confrences. The Steelers were in the Eastern Confrence while the Packers were in the Western.

The AFL's first year was 1960, but the merger did not happen until 1970. The first Super Bowl was 1966 and it was between the NFL winner and the AFL winner. From 1966 to 1969, each league had their own championship game and the winner of that game advanced to the Super Bowl.

The SB neutral venue format probably won't change since the NFL is concerned about having arrangements for the Super Bowl well ahead of time. I also wish it was not played at a neutral site. Between the SB being a huge "event" and the stupid week before it, I look more forward to the Confrence Championship round than the Super Bowl. Since the Steelers were the higher seeded team, it would have been a lot better if it was at Heinz Field.

Patco Man you a whiz at sports history. Thanks for clearing up the info on Super Bowl/NFL History.

In an era of 200-plus channels, last night 2/6/11 Super Bowl shattered viewership records. An estimated 100-million plus American and another 500 Million plus worldwide watched the Packers win their 4th Super Bowl.

This game even topped the classic Giants/Pats Super Bowl from a few years back as the most watched show in Fox-TV History. Hell in US TV History.

This game got an estimated 70 share which has not been seen since the Beatles made their US Television debut on the "Ed Sullivan Show."

It means that 70% of TV's last night in America was watching the game.

Overall the game got nearly a 50 rating. So if this is not a message for the NFL Owners and Players not to have a work stoppage I don't know what is?

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/02/07/super-bowl-xlv-poised-to-break-viewing-records-ties-1987-with-highest-overnight-ratings-ever/81684

Archived