Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

Wow. This has been maybe the most quiet super bowl week in my lifetime. Even "Big Ben's legal issues has been a moot point. The biggest story in media has been how the Dallas area had an ice/snowstorm and roads being closed. Not to mention this afternoon 2/4/11 a couple of people were injured at Cowboys Stadium.

Maybe the mega snow/ice storm that struck most of America and the crisis in Egypt has overshaowded this week. Still it's widely believe this will be the most TV show in American History with at least 100 Million viewers. Not to mention another 500 Million-Plus worldwide tuning in as well.

Anyhow if any one else (I know there is no NY/NJ area teams in this year match)wants to make a pick in ths Steelers-Packers super bowl, love to hear it?:eek:

Finally lets get ready for the super bowl. Again I am sure Steelers QB "Big Ben' will be the focus of most of the media attention and his recent legal problems.

With that said, here my pick. This should be a really good game. However with the Packers playing as well as anyone and the league's hottest team, Aaron Rogers seems to be on a mission to join or even replace Mr. Brady and Mr. Peyton Manning as maybe the best QB in the NFL. Not to mention once and for all, have NFL fans across America and the world forget the previous Green Bay QB named Favre.

Steelers playing banged up with a hurt Troy Polamalu. Not to mention a key loss as Center Maurkice Pouncey is probably 'out' of this championship game. While the Packers who were banged up including the loss of Rogers mid-season for a couple of games, are now fairly healthy. Green Bay probably wins at least 2 more games with a healthy Rogers all season and would have won their division with 12-13 wins.

This game could go either way. IMO if this game is a higher scoring match, GB wins this. Pitt must keep this a fairly low scoring game i.e 17-21 points to win.

I am picking the Packers to win their 4th Super Bowl and their 1st since after the 1996 season(Jan. 1997)..

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No one gives a crap about the Super Bowl with the Middle East about to collapse like a deck of cards. And that's really sayin' something about Americans, who would kill for their football teams.

Great Point. Not just the middle east but with 1/2 of the country in middle of a terrible cold snap/record breaking snow and the possible NFL work stoppage, most people are not in a partying mood.:(

I think if the Jets would have been in it it would gotten more attention in the media. Esp with Mark Sanchez ethic background and Rex Ryan's big mouth would have gotten them in the news. As an Jet fan I hope Green Bay wins it for obvious reasons lol, Green and Yellow!

Which team would you consider to be the New York Yankees and which team would you consider to be the New York Metropolitans of the N.F.L.?

I try to answer your question. It's hard since the NFL is divided into '2' eras the pre-Super Bowl (before the AFL teams merged)and the current super bowl era(since the 1966 season)so it can 'apples and oranges.'

In MLB, it much easier since for most of it's 120-year plus years of playing ball, the world series has detemined the planet's best pro baseball team. No offense to the Japanese major leagues or others around the world now playing.

I would say in the super bowl era, no doubt the "Yankees" of the NFL, it's Pittsburgh Steelers. However counting pre-super bowl era NFL Championships I would say the Green Bay Packers. So nutshell in terms of NFL championships won (pre and current Super Bowl era)i say this.

NY Yankees-Pittsburgh Steelers

St Louis Cardinals-Green Bay Packers

LA Dodgers-Dallas Cowboys (FYI the Cowboys are the most popular NFL club in fan balloting but are not the Yankees in #'s of titles won-Still the Cowboys have won '5' super bowls tied for 2nd all time)

On the NY Mets of the NFL that hard. I would say the Washington Redskins maybe.:confused:

Hope it answers the question EE. Again diffcult question since the NFL and MLB are different to 'apples and oranges.'

Which team would you consider to be the New York Yankees and which team would you consider to be the New York Metropolitans of the N.F.L.?

I agree w/ shortline... the steelers would probably be the NFL equivalent of the yankees, based on success....

NFL equivalent to the mets....probably the redskins... bunch of underachievers...

they (redskins) always get the big free agent signing & don't do shit; end up .500 (or worse) at season's end....

Here something different which I just found out. For first time since super bowl II when Packers played the Raiders, there will be no cheerleaders from either the Steelers or Packers.

Must be a blow to the teens and younger men watching the game.:P

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/02/05/no-cheerleaders-at-super-bowl-xlv-sad-day-for-tradition/

The NFL just announced it's class of 2011 selections. In a very stiff voting that included former Jet/Patroit Curtis Martin, former all pro WR Chris Carter and Tim Brown, former Rams/Steelers RB Jerome Bettitis and all pro defensive star Charles Haley just missing, these men below are going to Canton, Ohio.

2011 NFL Hall of Fame Selections

Players

Deion Sanders (only man to date to have played in both a world series and super bowl)

Marshall Faulk

Richard Dent(this guy should be selected much sooner IMO)

Shannon Sharpe

Chris Hanburger

Les Ritcher

Founders/Media Category

Ed Sabol Founder of NFL Films

Finally at 630pm tonight NY time Super Bowl 45 kicks off. This has been the quietest 'super bowl' week I can remember in terms of media coverage.

Almost all of the media coverage has either been on the pending lockout or the not so great weather hitting North Texas. Maybe it means a great game since players on both teams can focus on the 'show'.

Any last minute picks guys?:eek:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I just found out Tom Brady is MVP (in yo face Pats haters :P)...although I'm not watching the Super Bowl, I still want the Packers to win only cuz my girlfriend is a Steelers fan lol

Congrats to Green Bay. Green Bay is proof that the team that gets hot at the right time wins (See 04' Sox, 06' Cardinals, 07' Giants (NFL), '10 Giants (MLB)).

Yep, but sadly this never seems to happen in the NBA, the only time I can recall is in 2006 the last seed Golden State Warriors beat the 1# seed Mavs in the first round of the playoffs that year, but still they didn't make it the finals that year, part of the reason it sucks being an fan of an team in the NBA that is not elite, as your team has little to no chance of winning it all. -_-

Yep, but sadly this never seems to happen in the NBA, the only time I can recall is in 2006 the last seed Golden State Warriors beat the 1# seed Mavs in the first round of the playoffs that year, but still they didn't make it the finals that year, part of the reason it sucks being an fan of an team in the NBA that is not elite, as your team has little to no chance of winning it all. -_-

The NFL playoffs is becoming the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs. When i was growing up from 1980-98 only '1' wild card the Raiders won the super bowl.

Now it's becoming common.

It was rather lackluster. There wasn't any real tension in the air. Seemed like either team was fine with the other winning. Not enough hatred for me considering the so-called "rivalry".

That because the Steelers and Packers play in different conferences and play each other every 3-4 years in regular season.

Many years ago in the early days of the NFL pre super bowl era(pre 1966 season)the Steelers and Packers played each other

1x a year.

They last met in Dec. 2009. So that probably the reason.

That because the Steelers and Packers play in different conferences and play each other every 3-4 years in regular season.

Many years ago in the early days of the NFL pre super bowl era(pre 1966 season)the Steelers and Packers played each other

1x a year.

They last met in Dec. 2009. So that probably the reason.

I think the format should be changed. I never got why the Superbowl is played in a so-called neutral place. It should be played at the home of whoever has the best record overall like in other sports.

Archived