Football 2010! NCAA, HS, NFL General Discussions

mass production

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks B35 and FG.I asked the QB rating question as when I was in San Diego for the holidays, my sister(not the other who passed away recently) watching a game with me asked me that question which I did not know.

Plus ESPN and Fox sports goes nuts on the QB rating which could be the most overblown stat in all of sports these days.

In a nutshell, the QB rating is a measure of a QB's efficiency & accuracy....

Forest Glen has the right idea.... it is similar to figuring out a batters slugging %...

The highest QB rating you can get is 158.3....

[Playing (mastering) NFL 2k2 for dreamcast is how I remember that number....]

I used to know how to calculate it, but over the years, I pretty much forgot...

what I do remember, is that, you have to consider a QB's completion %, interception rate, TD rate, and yards/throw (this includes incompletions)....

If you complete all your pass attempts, that doesn't necessarily make it automatic that you'll obtain a perfect QB rating.... on the same side of the coin, to get a perfect QB rating you don't necessarily have to complete all your pass attempts (a lot of people think this)...

BUT, you can never get a perfect QB rating if you throw an interception.

personally, idc for QB ratings b/c it doesn't take into account, a QB's scrambling/running ability....

a QB like Vick would have a low QB rating, if, in a game, his total pass yards (remember, the eagles are a big play offense, they get yds in chunks) are almost equal to his rushing yards.... if you have butterfingered recievers, your rating also goes down....

it's an antiquated stat, if you ask me.... back in the day, QB's generally didn't leave the pocket.....

hope that helps somewhat, Shortline.

Well, I have cut my words, got the steak sauce, and are now eating them. Jets beat Indianapolis, and New England back-to-back. Pittsburgh made a second half comeback against Baltimore, but Baltimore did throw the game away in the second half. Saying that, J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. Jets beat Pittsburgh, and they can do it again. Jets and Green Bay Superbowl, would be great!!!!!!

Jets have won. Just scored a TD and about to shock the world beating the Pats 28-14.

Good. I'm glad.

Although I went 3-4 this week, like I just told my boy, I'd rather go 3-4 with Brady OUT of it, than 4-4 having to hear how masterful the Patriots are in the Playoffs....

first the giants, now the jets.... Patriots should avoid NY in the playoffs so it seems....

I'm just waiting for the false handshake...

(edit: belicheat actually hugged Ryan.... aint that some'n)

Although I didn't see any of the game, and didn't pick them to win....

Props to the Jets.

Good. I'm glad.

Although I went 3-4 this week, like I just told my boy, I'd rather go 3-4 with Brady OUT of it, than 4-4 having to hear how masterful the Patriots are in the Playoffs....

first the giants, now the jets.... Patriots should avoid NY in the playoffs so it seems....

I'm just waiting for the false handshake...

(edit: belicheat actually hugged Ryan.... aint that some'n)

Although I didn't see any of the game, and didn't pick them to win....

Props to the Jets.

Bro the turning point of the game IMO was when Brady led the Pats to score at end of the 3rd period and make score 14-11.

Then Sanchez throws a bomb and TD in next Jets possesion early in the 4th period to answer back. That was a huge part of the game.

So guys is this a bigger upset? Or the Giants shocker a few years back in Phoenix?:

Bro the turning point of the game IMO was when Brady led the Pats to score at end of the 3rd period and make score 14-11.

Then Sanchez throws a bomb and TD in next Jets possesion early in the 4th period to answer back. That was a huge part of the game.

So guys is this a bigger upset? Or the Giants shocker a few years back in Phoenix?:

New England and NY Jets play each other too often, since they are the same Division/Conference. So I don't really see it as an upset or shocker. The Giants and New England, almost never play each other, and NY Giants almost had them beat during the regular season, before the Big Game that season.........

Giants was more of an upset... but that means much of nothin....

this year's Jets is a much better team than the 07/08 Giants... I don't get the sense that the Jets got lucky beating the Pats... you felt that way when the Giants beat the Pats in that SB (at least, I did).....

New England and NY Jets play each other too often, since they are the same Division/Conference. So I don't really see it as an upset or shocker. The Giants and New England, almost never play each other, and NY Giants almost had them beat during the regular season, before the Big Game that season.........

Very true. The Pats and Jets play each other 2x a season. While the Jets/Pats play the Giants every 3-4 years.

Ya Gotta Believe! We win in Indianapolis, Indiana, We win in Foxborough, Massachusettes in the N.F.L. Playoffs! Amazing!

What a game! What a finish! Unbelievable! :cry: :tup: The Patriots led 3-0, then we came back to lead 14-3. The Patriots made it 14-11 (using the two point conversion), we came back to lead 21-11, the Patriots made it 21-14, we came back to lead 28-14, the Patriots made it 28-21, we got the ball with under 29 seconds remaining and WON!

We go 2-1 against the Patriots and our second win places us in the A.F.C. Championship Game for the second straight season!

You know, maybe our win over the Steelers after our bad loss to the Patriots on Monday Night Football picked us up, or, maybe, we grew up a little at the right time.

We beat a good team, Peyton Manning and the Colts 17-16 when Mark Sanchez brings us back and Neil Folk kicks that successful field goal with 0:03 remaining then we beat another good team, Tom Brady and the Patriots today but, somehow, the final score, 28-21 doesn't seem that close.

Maybe Kermit The Frog had it right: It isn't easy being green.....

By the way, if I'm reading this right, my Quarterback, Mark Sanchez, has a 62.4 Rate but finished in the top ten Quaterbacks placing ninth between Matt Ryan (69.0 8th) and Matt Cassell (20.4 10th).

I think the Giants Super Bowl victory over the Patriots was a larger upset since the Patriots was undefeated going into that game. Also, that game was more exciting.

As for a QB rating, Donovan McNabb had a perfect 158.3 on September 23 in a 56-21 rout against the Lions (that was when the Eagles wore those ugly light blue/yellow jerseys).

As great a win as this was, unquestionably the Giants beating the Pats in Feb. 2008 was WAY bigger because that Pats team was dominant all season. They were a win away from a perfect 19-0 season. That team was way better than this years team. Tom Brady had a career year that year. If they won, they could have been the greatest team in football history. Now they will be remembered as the greatest team to not win a Super Bowl Championship.

Though they now share the regular season record, the 1972 Miami Dolphins (14-0; 3-0 1972 N.F.L. Playoffs) remain perfect. The 1973 team lost in week 2 to the Oakland Raiders 12-7 then didn't lose until Week 13 to the Baltimore Colts 16-3. With a second 3-0 in the 1973 N.F.L. Playoffs, the 1972-1973 Miami Dolphins went 32-2.

(Amazingly, the 1971 Miami Dolphins went 10-3-1; 2-1 in the 1971 N.F.L. Playoffs and the 1974 Miami Dolphins went 11-3; 0-1 in the 1974 N.F.L. Playoffs - a four year record of 55-10-1 with a 2-1 in the Super Bowl.)

As great a win as this was, unquestionably the Giants beating the Pats in Feb. 2008 was WAY bigger because that Pats team was dominant all season. They were a win away from a perfect 19-0 season. That team was way better than this years team. Tom Brady had a career year that year. If they won, they could have been the greatest team in football history. Now they will be remembered as the greatest team to not win a Super Bowl Championship.

I am sure '3' teams might argue with the 2007 Patroits as the best team ever not to win a super bowl. The 1968 Baltimore Colts (yes kiddies back in the day when the Colts was in Baltimore) the 1978 Dallas Cowboys and 1990 Buffalo Bills all could make that claim as well. Dallas trying to repeat (winning the previous years title) lost to the Steelers in Super Bowl 13 (Jan. 1979)in what many still call the best super bowl of all time. And many of us remember the '90 Bills losing that season only 2 games and being shocked by the Giants when Scott Norwood missed a game winning FG at end of the game.

Of those '4' great teams I say the '07 Patroits and the '68 Colts are the '2' best never to win a super bowl. The '68 Colts went 13-1 that season but are always remembered for the shocker losing to the Jets in the Jan. 1969 Super Bowl.

Maybe just ironic that the A.F.C. ended up Patriots-Jets (A.F.C. East) and Steelers-Ravens (A.F.C. North) this year. Back in 2006, the Jets and Patriots did meet during WildCard week but two teams from each division meeting in Division week hasn't occurred in recent years, yet alone two teams from two divisions meeting in Division Week.

In fact, 2000 A.D. was the closest. In the A.F.C. the Ravens played at the Titans while in the N.F.C. Football Giants hosted the Eagles. So the A.F.C. accomplished a rare feat this season.

By the way, 2000 A.D. was the next to last season for the old East, Central, and West division format.

Very true. The Pats and Jets play each other 2x a season. While the Jets/Pats play the Giants every 3-4 years.

The Jets have not been back to the Super Bowl since 1969 when it was Joe Namath's year. Can this be Mark Sanchez year to lead his team to there first trip back to the Super Bowl in more than 42 years? Kind of think of it? Fireman Ed wears Bruce Harper jersey number at every game. Who knows?

The Jets have not been back to the Super Bowl since 1969 when it was Joe Namath's year. Can this be Mark Sanchez year to lead his team to there first trip back to the Super Bowl in more than 42 years? Kind of think of it? Fireman Ed wears Bruce Harper jersey number at every game. Who knows?

I know many people who don't remember or even born when Namath won that super bowl think of him only as a 1960's/early '70's 'player' that chased any descent looking lady and loved to party.

However from about the 1966-1971 seasons(before injuries cut short a great career)fact was that Namath was the best QB in the NFL/AFL in that era. Period. Similar to say Kurt Warner (but the total oppopsite of him)when he played he was great.

According to My late Dad, Namath was at height of his carrer was on that 2nd tier level of all time great QB's i.e Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, etc.

Not to mention My Mom had a crush on him.:o

I know many people who don't remember or even born when Namath won that super bowl think of him only as a 1960's/early '70's 'player' that chased any descent looking lady and loved to party.

However from about the 1966-1971 seasons(before injuries cut short a great career)fact was that Namath was the best QB in the NFL/AFL in that era. Period. Similar to say Kurt Warner (but the total oppopsite of him)when he played he was great.

According to My late Dad, Namath was at height of his carrer was on that 2nd tier level of all time great QB's i.e Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, etc.

Not to mention My Mom had a crush on him.:o

And here is the other side of Broadway Joe.:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf3oOQq9KFU

Archived